Voyager of the Seas Reviews from a Brit Perspective

P&OMAN

After having been on three RCI Cruises before (Jewel, Serenade and Rhapsody) I was really looking forward to my fourth on the Voyager sailing from Fremantle to Sydney via New Zealand.

As we were expecting lots of good stops and scenic cruising we booked a balcony cabin. I think this ship was the biggest cruise liner to call at Fremantle. We got through check in well because we were Platinum members , others were not so lucky. However all Aussie staff there to help did a good smiley job. What none of us knew was that the ship was suffering from an extended norovirus outbreak.

The ship was going through a cleansing process which prevented anyone getting into their cabin until after 4pm. even then nobody had towels and it was obvious that no hoovering had been carried out. The first impression of the ship was that it was old and tired. Our balcony was a bit like a coffin, a hole had been cut out of the ship giving the look of a gap in the side superstructure. No glass involved, very dreary. When towels arrived the glasses were missing in the bathroom being replaced by cardboard cups. There were no quality toiletries, shampoo, hair conditioner or hand/body lotion. All we had were bars of soap and a dubious dispenser inside the shower.

We were told many crew had been left at Singapore because of the sickness, new staff to replace (it showed). However the staff all worked hard and were eager to please. Throughout the cruise the food was not up to standard, could only be described as ordinary and bland. I think this was the only cruise that I have never really looked forward to dining. Good food is one of the cornerstones of cruising, I am sorry to say they failed badly.

On the first day we bought a wine package as always. Shortly to find out that some of the wine promised was not available. After some discussion other wines were produced to replace, but without complaining I am sure this would not have happened.The entertainment director Gordon was great, but most of the guest entertainers were dire. The resident band was good, the resident singers and dancers were average. At various stages of the cruise they ran out of English Breakfast tea and vanilla ice cream, how do you manage that ?

The ports of call were very good, Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart, Dunedin, Picton, Wellington and ending at Sydney. As always you were pushed towards the ships excursions. In particular at Adelaide trips were $55 to get into Glenelg, a pretty seaside town, heavily promoted. However thanks to the Aussies onboard we were told to walk the 100yards to the train station a day train/tram ticket was $9.10 (Aussie dollars). Strange how they never mentioned that.

Thankfully we did not catch the virus, though many did even up until the last day. I am sure that if this had been my first RCI cruise it would probably have been my last. This ship was just not up to the standard expected of a 4* ship. Thanks to friends and hard working staff we enjoyed our cruise but with some strong reservations.

We were also on this cruise , and agree with all of the above review. No kettle or cups and saucers in the cabin until a few days before docked in Sydney. The ice rink was rarely available for use and the promenade cafe was inadequate for the number of people on board. Staff on the customer and excursion desks did not know much about anything and often gave conflicting advice. This was our first RCL cruise and did not compare favourably with other cruise lines we have been on.

You, and anyone who cruises with this ship, have my sympathies, as I know only too well what a disappointment this ship was. I agree with all the above with the exception that after our experience cruising from China to Singapore in October, this is most definately the last time I shall sail with RCI.....it was a rip-off to say the least......disgusting in fact.

I'm confused! First you said this...

After having been on three RCI Cruises before (Jewel, Serenade and Rhapsody) I was really looking forward to my fourth on the Voyager sailing from Fremantle to Sydney via New Zealand.

Then you said this...

This was our first RCL cruise and did not compare favourably with other cruise lines we have been on.

You, and anyone who cruises with this ship, have my sympathies, as I know only too well what a disappointment this ship was. I agree with all the above with the exception that after our experience cruising from China to Singapore in October, this is most definately the last time I shall sail with RCI.....it was a rip-off to say the least......disgusting in fact.

Have I missed something...?

Quote "We were also on this cruise , and agree with all of the above review. No kettle or cups and saucers in the cabin until a few days before docked in Sydney. The ice rink was rarely available for use and the promenade cafe was inadequate for the number of people on board. Staff on the customer and excursion desks did not know much about anything and often gave conflicting advice. This was our first RCL cruise and did not compare favourably with other cruise lines we have been on.

You, and anyone who cruises with this ship, have my sympathies, as I know only too well what a disappointment this ship was. I agree with all the above with the exception that after our experience cruising from China to Singapore in October, this is most definately the last time I shall sail with RCI.....it was a rip-off to say the least......disgusting in fact." Quote

Ron

ronaldjoseph@blueyonder.co.uk

Why would you add your own comments to another persons review without it being a quote? Very confusing.

I heard that many Brits onboard this cruise were a bit disapointed in the weather! expecting nice and warm weather from NZ when its more like the same as at home:D All that extra money spent on balconies that were too cold to utilize.

I chose this ship for my up coming 14 nighter Fremantle to Singapore but given the very cheap price I got I will be expecting nothing special so shouldn't be disappointed as I know this is a re location cruise.

Also its not that often I get to depart from my home port.

Research also would show that its the norm for Australia to get the USA hand me downs in cruise ships;)

Just a pity some had such a bad experience given the travel distance from UK to Australia.

Den

I also agree with the poster. The ship is tired and the interior linings were covered with sanitation mist causing the windows and mirrors and walls to look filthy. Not a great sight when you are eating in the Carmen dining room at lunch time.

I felt sorry for all the passengers who missed out on the Ice Show. Why they can't issue tickets for the 4 shows is beyond me. Using your life boat station number does not work. There was no crowd control at all. Some passengers saw the show more than once and a lot missed out on seeing it at all.

The Windjammer food at breakfast was cold and nasty. The coffee is dreadful and cold most of the time. We were unable to serve our selves for 13 days of the cruise due to Norovirus precautions.

The saving grace on this ship is the crew. The service was friendly and sincere. The bar staff in the champagne bar, Charmalito and Raffat were great. Our waiter in the Magic Flute, Dexter, was friendly, efficient and made the dining experience fun. The food in this restaurant is quite good. Try the Any time dining and don't be restricted to the 2 main seatings for dinner.

I had a good vacation over all but will try the smaller ships of RCCL next time. Too many people on this ship.

We were on the Voyager a couple of years ago in the Med. It was fine and the only issue we had was that the food was slightly disappointing, and it was obvious that cost cutting measures were in place when we'd compare to previous cruises on the Serenade and the Liberty in the Caribbean. In February we sailed the middle east on the Brilliance. What a dump - the ship not the middle east. Cabin was old, tired with stained furniture. Balcony was grubby and out of action for 3 days due to cleaning probems. The whole ship had a strange musty smell and the food was not good anywhere we ate except for breakfast. Even the staff weren't what we expected. They did their job but without much enthusiasm or effort. They freely complained about the ship, RCI and their conditions of work when we asked, something that we'd not come across before. We were that peed off with various things that we complained when we got home which is not something we'd ever had to do after a holiday before. RCI didn't quibble. Two days after sending them a letter they rang and immediately offered us £250 each in future cruise vouchers which we accepted.

We've booked a week on the Allure next July and I think that will be our make or break trip with RCI.

Archived