Need Advice Please Concerning Empress!

Planning a cruise in July on the Empress of the Seas for 5 days. I have sailed on the RCCL Navigator and Explorer and know that the Empress is a much smaller ship. I plan on booking the new Freedom ship next year, so, for something a little different I thought I'd take the family on the Empress for a change of pace.

Any advice on the positives and negatives of the Empress? Would I be dissapointed after sailing the "Voyager class" ships or is the experience the same just in a "smaller package?"

Thanks for any advice offered.

We just returned from a 5 day on the Empress to Key West and Grand Cayman, having previously sailed on the Mariner in January we loved the small ship feel of Empress and would not hesitate to sail her again anytime! There were alot of first timers on the ship and they were always happy and smiling. We had the best table mates of any cruise we have taken and the food was just wonderful DH and I agreed that the food was better than on the Mariner! Our Oceanview cabin on deck 8 was fine and there was plenty of space for the two of us for 5 days. The only drawback was our suitcase did not fit under the bed, so I was able to put it in the closet. The service was great, our headwaiter was at our table each nite and our waiter and asst waiter were very good. The stewards were pleasant and our cabin was always done up early. Any other questions ask away... I say "Get Out There" and try the Empress you will not be disappointed;) Jill

Treta - what dates are you on the Empress? We're going 7/14-7/18 and since this is our first cruise, we have nothing to compare it to, but are excited after reading some great posts from recent cruisers!

Jilly - we were wondering if there is a movie theater on board? Also, are there long lines for the rock climbing wall?

We have sailed on the Empress once (pre-stretch western out of Tampa), and we are booked for the 11 day exotic next spring. We are looking forward to seeing what differences the stretch made.

Last time, we had an inside room that was the tiniest of all our cruises except for the Norway. Fine for cruising, but we carry 2 full sets of dive gear, and need every square inch. The oceanview rooms are a bit larger, and that is what we booked this time.

We liked the ship, but the missed people-watching in the centrum, which is one of our favorite after-dinner pastimes on the Sovereign and Vision class ships. Have not been on a Voyager class ship yet - we prefer to avoid the families that the Voyagers attract, not to mention the exorbitant pricing.

At that time, the movies were shown in the main theatre. There may be a separate one now. Check either a recent RCCL brochure or their website for deck plans.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy

I think Cruisinfanatic did his math incorrectly! The Empress is 30% smaller than the Voyager ships not 70%!! I went back and checked size and capacity on the RCI website when I thought that just didn't sound right!

The only reason you would want to sail empress would be itinerary. 5 day cruise...too little ship for your money....especially coming off voyager class.

The 11 night exotic is AWESOME. 10 islands, only 1 day at sea.....the ship it self is tolerable when you aren't on it.

We are on the "Little Ship" this October. 7 days to the Eastern Caribbean. I have cruised years ago on the then Dolphin Lines on a little ship about the same size. We had a ball, it was our first cruise so maybe that helped, however the food was great and the service wonderful. Since then we have been on Carnival and NCL "Sun". We hated the NCL cruise, it was the worst food and service ever. We ate at the buffet most of the time due to convience and the food was certain to be left overs from the dining room plus no place to sit. Service was terrible also, I actually went and disputed the tip with the purser on the last day and removed all of our tips. We will never go NCL again!!!! We are hoping that with the smaller ship we will have a much better time. To give credit to Carnival, it was fine, we enjoyed the cruise and had a wonderful time.

By the way, if anyone is going on our cruise in Oct...we are starting a M & M and already have 18 or the 25 needed. Please go and register so we can all meet each other.

Bob & Kathy

Sun R Bunns :) :)

Sun R Bunns, which Dolphin cruise ship were you on? We did the W. Carib. on the Seabreeze in 91 & the E. Carib. same ship in 92. That was our 2nd & 3rd cruises, 1st cruise was the Dolphin IV to the Bahamas. We didn't know any better & to us the ships were HUGE!:D

We'll be on the 5 night Empress on 9/26/05 & I for one am looking forward to a smaller ship. Bigger isn't always Better!

Sun R Bunns, which Dolphin cruise ship were you on? We did the W. Carib. on the Seabreeze in 91 & the E. Carib. same ship in 92. That was our 2nd & 3rd cruises, 1st cruise was the Dolphin IV to the Bahamas. We didn't know any better & to us the ships were HUGE!:D

We'll be on the 5 night Empress on 9/26/05 & I for one am looking forward to a smaller ship. Bigger isn't always Better!

Ya know, that was so many years ago..ha ha..It was a W. Carib,,,and I think Seabreeze was the name. I would have to do a little searching to be sure, I do remember the elevator held maybe 4 people at a time and there was only two on the ship. We are looking forward to a smaller group for sure. Ha Ha, we thought our ship was huge too until we ported next to one of the Super Cruisers. But like you say, bigger ships, mean bigger lines.....to EVERYTHING!

The Empress wasn't stretched, it was just refurbished.

It is a beautiful ship. It is great for those who enjoy traditional cruising. You don't have the dining and entertainment options you have on larger ships, but what you have is very nice. The public rooms on the ship are quite large but there are just fewer of them. There is seldem much of a line at the rock wall. It rarely feels crowed.

A cruise is more about the people you are with than the ship. I think you can really enjoy a cruise on the Empress. I know I did.

make statements not from experience and that is unwise. having sailed on over 40 cruises and just returned from the 6 day repo on the Empress, I can say from experience she looks wonderful after the refurbishment, there was plenty to do, the food was good: but if you really want the #1 reason to sail this ship, it is she is a HAPPY ship. her crew is extremely well trained, friendly and personable and it shows! i took this cruise because i got a good price, i am returning to RCI (Serenade) because i was impressed by the product and the service! dont let someone without firsthand knowledge sway you, as the saying goes: "try it, you'll like it!" :D

I agree. . . The Empress is a "happy ship"! The attitude of the crew seems to rub off on the passengers, making for a great cruise. After having sailed on RCI's larger ships we were a bit hesitent about the Empress, but any apprehension we had was totally unfounded.

Hi NHCruzer.....how are you?

People we were on the ship with NHCruzer...what she said is absolutely true. I've never seen such a "Happy" ship. The ship is awesome and the remodeling is gorgeous. You would swear you were sailing on a brand new ship....and it sails extremely smooth for a small ship. I've sailed on the Voyager class also, which has many options of entertainment and etc. However, I found this ship very intimate and the service outstanding. Would I said her again....YOU BETCHA!!!

Go and enjoy your cruise :)

Treta - what dates are you on the Empress? We're going 7/14-7/18 and since this is our first cruise, we have nothing to compare it to, but are excited after reading some great posts from recent cruisers!

Jilly - we were wondering if there is a movie theater on board? Also, are there long lines for the rock climbing wall?

need to ask a big favor if u or any one else reads this!and is sailing on the empress of the seas I would like to sak a favor via email - bobandjackieg@aol.com ty Bob

Leahjade, do not believe that there is a movie theatre although there are movies on the tv several times a day. Each day they are different. I did not see a line at the rock climbing wall either.....Have a great cruise...Jill:cool:

This was our first sailing with RC and thought that the service and food were great, but the ship seemed real small, My wife and I were the only ones and we weere in a outside cabin and felt cramped. We sailed on the Imagination last year with 5 kids and had an inside cabin and had much more room. The ship was fine, we heard the waves hitting the side of the ship which were only anout 2 to 3 feet and I felt sea sick. Alot of other people could really feel the movement of the ship this time of year. I just got back last thursday and we will not return to the smaller ships, there isn't alot for the money you will be paying. I am really upset about our cruise this time since it being our 18th anniversary, but I had my wife with me. I recommend not wasting your money on a smaller ship, we love the bigger ship because there is alot more to do.

Bryan

Archived