Vancouver Hotel Question - ID Hotwire find

Normal 1

Debarking a cruise ship (Sep, 2013) in Vancouver and plan to see the sites for a few days. PutterDude and others have been very helpful with recommendations, etc. I have reserved (refundable) Blue Horizon based on this advice.

I note on Hotwire today there is a 4* hotel noted in Area B (Coal Harbor/Stanley Park) for $159 for dates of Sep 17 - 20. Does anyone have any idea which hotel this may be? Blue Horizon is $189/night. Not being cheap but would consider doing Hotwire if it were a place as nice as Blue Horizon.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Blue Horizon is $189/night...

Are you paying extra for a higher floor? Because it is totally worth it. We have stayed at the Blue Horizon twice for our anniversary weekend and it is incredible. The views from the high floors cannot be beat! The vibe in downtown Vancouver is fabulous and from the BH, you can walk and walk. It's great!!

I hope you enjoy, whichever hotel you end up choosing.

My guess would also be that it is the Westin Bayshore which is really a lovely hotel in a very picturesque location on Coal Harbour and the sea wall, at the entrance to Stanley Park and some great restaurants close-by. It would have to be rated higher than the Blue Horizon which I would put at a 3*, however you do give up the Robson St. experience.

Putterdude - After further viewing of Hotwire....This 'deal' was listed as a RISK FREE (means I have 24 hours to cancel if I want to).

I went ahead and 'booked' this and ended up with the Hyatt Regency Burrard at a cost of $159/nite. So, not the Westin. What are your thoughts on this hotel?

Our plans include the Aquarium, Capilano Bridge, Maybe Grouse Mountain, Maybe Granville. We will be flying home from YVR and I note the hotel is next to a Sky Train station. This takes us to the airport correct?

Thank you for your help and expertise!!

_____

Karen

In my mind the Hyatt Regency is the best located hotel in Vancouver..."center ice". You are 7 blocks from Canada Place, on most major transportation routes and close to many restaurants and shops. While the hotel is adjacent to a SkyTrain station it is not the line that goes out to YVR. You can take the SkyTrain to Waterfront station and transfer to the Canada Line but it is such a hassle that you are best to walk 3 blocks over to the Vancouver Centre station at Georgia and Granville Sts and catch the Canada Line there.

We have stayed at the hotel recently and it is very well maintained and updated by the Hyatt people. However I must say that Hotwire's description of the location was most misleading.

Thanks all....Particularily PD!!! After reading this and seeing mostly positive reviews on TA.... we'll be keeping this selection. After posting yesterday, I looked up the SkyTrain schedules and saw the different lines.

Truly appreciate the local expertise!!

In my mind the Hyatt Regency is the best located hotel in Vancouver..."center ice". You are 7 blocks from Canada Place, on most major transportation routes and close to many restaurants and shops. While the hotel is adjacent to a SkyTrain station it is not the line that goes out to YVR. You can take the SkyTrain to Waterfront station and transfer to the Canada Line but it is such a hassle that you are best to walk 3 blocks over to the Vancouver Centre station at Georgia and Granville Sts and catch the Canada Line there.

We have stayed at the hotel recently and it is very well maintained and updated by the Hyatt people. However I must say that Hotwire's description of the location was most misleading.

We were staying in Days Inn in downtown Vancouver b4 our alaska cruise.

Not too bad for a 1 night stay, but not for longer stays...:)

The Days Inn on West Pender was built in 1918 as the Abbotsford Hotel. In those days you had to be hotel to get a liquor license and the hotel was built principally for that purpose. Each hotel in downtown Vancouver in those days attracted a certain group of workers employed the resource sector.....this was before my time but I believe miners from out of town used to stay there and it was a place where miners congregated to find jobs.

My first job was in 1964 with the Canada Trust Company who had built the building next door at 901 W. Pender. I spent a lot of time in beer parlour in the basement of the Abby with my co-workers of the day.:o

Locationally the hotel is great but it will lack the amenities of more modern hotels, but as you say, it is just fine for a night. The principal problem I have with it is the fact is that often their rack rate is more than what you will pay for a 3+* or 4* hotel on Priceline or Hotwire.

• 2 months later...

hi Putterdude,

thanks for the background! )

The Days Inn on West Pender was built in 1918 as the Abbotsford Hotel. In those days you had to be hotel to get a liquor license and the hotel was built principally for that purpose. Each hotel in downtown Vancouver in those days attracted a certain group of workers employed the resource sector.....this was before my time but I believe miners from out of town used to stay there and it was a place where miners congregated to find jobs.

My first job was in 1964 with the Canada Trust Company who had built the building next door at 901 W. Pender. I spent a lot of time in beer parlour in the basement of the Abby with my co-workers of the day.:o

Locationally the hotel is great but it will lack the amenities of more modern hotels, but as you say, it is just fine for a night. The principal problem I have with it is the fact is that often their rack rate is more than what you will pay for a 3+* or 4* hotel on Priceline or Hotwire.

Placed a bid on hotwire yesterday for a 4 star hotel in the Coal Harbor (area B) and got the Hyat Regency. The Westin Bayshore was a possible hotel. We got it for $162 for July 24 & 25 of this year.

They have changed their mapping recently and this has made it more difficult to identify the hotel. However most hotels in area B will be good hotels as long as you stay above the 3* level.

Archived