Celebrity's new vegetarian menus

AlanAllyn

We just returned from the 15-night Hawaii cruise on the Century. Since we keep kosher, we eat fish and vegetarian on cruises.

The menu in the main dining room always has one or two vegetarian entrees and often a fish (other than shell fish). Salmon is always available. Salads are not a problem, but the appetizers and soup often are.

Celebrity now has available a vegetarian menu each night (no need to order in advance). They would always let you order off the menu the night before. For example, we ordered vegetarian French onion soup a couple of times.

You must ask your waiter for the vegetarian menu, although after the first night, he brought it every night. They were supposed to have 15 distinct menus, but we only saw seven of them (repeated). That was not a problem for us.

Here are the seven menus:

Menu 1

Appetizers: Blue Cheese Souffle; Mille Feuille of wild mushrooms

Soup: vegetarian tomato; Japanese vegetable consommé

Salad: Baby spinach; mixed lettuce Daikon radish

Entrée: Orrechiette pasta, porcini mushrooms; vegetable korma

Menu 2

Appetizers: wild mushroom napolean; ambrosia of fresh fruit cocktail

Soup: Cream of asparagus; vegetable consommé with root vegetables

Salad: Jicama (cucumbers, watermelon & mint); seasonal greens

Entrée:Fried marsala potatoes; grilled vegetable tart

Menu 3

Appetizers: heirloom tomato stuffed endives; grenadine scented pineapple

Soup: tomato and cucumber gazpacho; vegetable consomme

Salad: shaved pear salad breakfast radish; crisp romaine lettuce

Entrée: vegetable paella; Imam Bayadi (eggplant stuffed with ratatouille)

Menu 4

Appetizers: marinated grilled eggplant; citrus delight

Soup: Cream of mushroom; vegetable broth

Salad: green leaf and iceberg lettuce; radicchio and watercress

Entrée: toasted Israeli couscous cake; vegetable prima vera lasagna

Menu 5

Appetizers: vegetabler summer rolls; fety and fresh fruit

Soup: cream of broccoli; watercress and orange

Salad: Boston lettuce and gorgonzola; market fresh

Entrée: spinach and ricotta ravioli; vegetable cassoulet

Menu 6

Appetizers: Supreme of chilled melon Midori; spinach turnover

Soup: market vegetable minestrome; roasted plantain and corn

Salad: sliced tomato and red onion; green leaf and radicchio lettuce

Entrée: Asian tofu stir fry; vegetable spaghetti with marinara sauce

Menu 7

Appetizers: marinated bell peppers and Portobello mushroom terrine; fresh papaya. mango and kiwi cocktail

Soup: oven roasted tomato and garlic; creamy chilled Haas avacado

Salad: Asian; crisp garden green

Entrée: stuffed Portobello mushroom; vegetable turnover

We just traveled RCCL and my sister and brother-in-law ordered off the kosher menu. After a little bit of confusion at the beginning they rather liked the choices and the taste was pretty decent. The head waiter also was very attentive to the needs as well. This was not an extra const item. I kind wished I'd done the same thing as I found their vegetarian and fish selection very limited.

We just returned from the 15-night Hawaii cruise on the Century. Since we keep kosher, we eat fish and vegetarian on cruises.

The menu in the main dining room always has one or two vegetarian entrees and often a fish (other than shell fish). Salmon is always available. Salads are not a problem, but the appetizers and soup often are.

Celebrity now has available a vegetarian menu each night (no need to order in advance). They would always let you order off the menu the night before. For example, we ordered vegetarian French onion soup a couple of times.

You must ask your waiter for the vegetarian menu, although after the first night, he brought it every night. They were supposed to have 15 distinct menus, but we only saw seven of them (repeated). That was not a problem for us.

Here are the seven menus:

Menu 1

Appetizers: Blue Cheese Souffle; Mille Feuille of wild mushrooms

Soup: vegetarian tomato; Japanese vegetable consommé

Salad: Baby spinach; mixed lettuce Daikon radish

Entrée: Orrechiette pasta, porcini mushrooms; vegetable korma

Menu 2

Appetizers: wild mushroom napolean; ambrosia of fresh fruit cocktail

Soup: Cream of asparagus; vegetable consommé with root vegetables

Salad: Jicama (cucumbers, watermelon & mint); seasonal greens

Entrée:Fried marsala potatoes; grilled vegetable tart

Menu 3

Appetizers: heirloom tomato stuffed endives; grenadine scented pineapple

Soup: tomato and cucumber gazpacho; vegetable consomme

Salad: shaved pear salad breakfast radish; crisp romaine lettuce

Entrée: vegetable paella; Imam Bayadi (eggplant stuffed with ratatouille)

Menu 4

Appetizers: marinated grilled eggplant; citrus delight

Soup: Cream of mushroom; vegetable broth

Salad: green leaf and iceberg lettuce; radicchio and watercress

Entrée: toasted Israeli couscous cake; vegetable prima vera lasagna

Menu 5

Appetizers: vegetabler summer rolls; fety and fresh fruit

Soup: cream of broccoli; watercress and orange

Salad: Boston lettuce and gorgonzola; market fresh

Entrée: spinach and ricotta ravioli; vegetable cassoulet

Menu 6

Appetizers: Supreme of chilled melon Midori; spinach turnover

Soup: market vegetable minestrome; roasted plantain and corn

Salad: sliced tomato and red onion; green leaf and radicchio lettuce

Entrée: Asian tofu stir fry; vegetable spaghetti with marinara sauce

Menu 7

Appetizers: marinated bell peppers and Portobello mushroom terrine; fresh papaya. mango and kiwi cocktail

Soup: oven roasted tomato and garlic; creamy chilled Haas avacado

Salad: Asian; crisp garden green

Entrée: stuffed Portobello mushroom; vegetable turnover

Great!

Did you find the fish entrees to be okay? I was recently on an RCI ship, and I ordered "sea trout". It came, and... my "trout" was salmon! Another night, I ordered the sea bass, and it was NOT sea bass... maybe halibut? Not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know if this vegetarian menu is available on all ships? I remembered reading this thread and I specifically inquired about a vegetarian menu. They told me there was no such menu and pointed me to the vegetarian symbol on the regular menu.

I am not vegetarian--but do eat a lot of vegetarian foods.

Does anybody know if this vegetarian menu is available on all ships? I remembered reading this thread and I specifically inquired about a vegetarian menu. They told me there was no such menu and pointed me to the vegetarian symbol on the regular menu.

Years ago I know they had a separate vegetarian menu. Sailing on the Equinox in Sept.

Anyone know if they have thr separate menu?

We just returned from the March 10 sailing of the Silhouette, and they had the vegetarian menus! My 16 year old DD was thrilled. :)

We just returned from the March 10 sailing of the Silhouette, and they had the vegetarian menus! My 16 year old DD was thrilled. :)

Thanks, I think it may have been your review that made me remember to ask about it. Did you say you ate in Blu? We are also cruising on Silhouette.

Just returned from the Solstice sailing from Sydney to Auckland, 4 March 2013.

In MDR the assistant maitre d' told me they no longer have a separate vegetarian menu, and asked us to refer to the daily menu, which has some vegetarian items with special code.

Not much of a choice, of course. Only one vegetarian entree available per night. We are able to ask for another special order though, if we found the one in the menu is not to our liking. Our waiter team are very helpful.

On some nights we end up dining at the buffet.

On sea days, lunch at the MDR is not to be missed. They have a good vegetarian selection.

Veggie burger is available at the Mast Grill, but takes 20 minutes or so to defrost and prepare.

Enjoy your cruise.

Great!

Did you find the fish entrees to be okay? I was recently on an RCI ship, and I ordered "sea trout". It came, and... my "trout" was salmon! Another night, I ordered the sea bass, and it was NOT sea bass... maybe halibut? Not sure.

The only thing I can say about the fish is that every night in Blu, despite the fact we were sailing in Alaska, our waiter never recommended the fish entree (which is always prepared from previously frozen fish). Take from that what you will -maybe it was our waiter, maybe it was the fish, or a little of both?

I certainly hope those vegetarian menus will be offered on Eclipse this month. Many thanks to the OP for posting the menus.

Please let us know when you get back if the vegetarian menus are offered. We sail on the Eclipse in April.

Thanks, I think it may have been your review that made me remember to ask about it. Did you say you ate in Blu? We are also cruising on Silhouette.

Yes, we did eat in Blu, but I believe the separate vegetarian menu is also available in the MDR.

Just returned from the Solstice sailing from Sydney to Auckland, 4 March 2013.

In MDR the assistant maitre d' told me they no longer have a separate vegetarian menu, and asked us to refer to the daily menu, which has some vegetarian items with special code.

Not much of a choice, of course. Only one vegetarian entree available per night. We are able to ask for another special order though, if we found the one in the menu is not to our liking. Our waiter team are very helpful.

On some nights we end up dining at the buffet.

On sea days, lunch at the MDR is not to be missed. They have a good vegetarian selection.

Veggie burger is available at the Mast Grill, but takes 20 minutes or so to defrost and prepare.

Enjoy your cruise.

This is what we were told on the Silhouette too. My travelling companion is vegetarian so we will likely be persistent in trying to figure this out.

Honestly I was very surprised they don't keep some veggie burgers out thawed at the Mast Grill. It was a long wait and it still didn't seem totally cooked to me.

• 1 month later...

We were on the 15-night cruise on the Infinity in November and there was no vegetarian menu! There used to be one, but not anymore. We have been sailing with Celebrity since 2001, and having a separate menu had been one of the reasons. When we sailed in 2010, they still had the old menus but no recipes! We ordered from it, but got some strange meals. When we were on last fall they did have one entree per night that was veg, but often no appetizer or soup. (Often in the past I would just order an appetizer, soup, and salad for dinner, but that was only possible on a few nights.) The assistant maitre d' tried to help, but it's very difficult when they ask what you want to eat the following night, but give you nothing to choose from. I actually sent a letter to the president of the company, and got a call thanking me for taking the time, etc. They hoped I would give Celebrity another try, but made no guarantee that anything would change.

This is all very confusing, some have had no problems, yet pie67 had many problems.

Even Celebrities own website states the following under "Already booked Cruise Dining":

Vegetarian Dining

We offer a separate 7-day Vegetarian Menu, in addition to vegetarian dishes on the standard Main Restaurant menu which are designated by a leaf icon.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_special_dietary_needs_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_special_dietary_needs

I'm not sure how long that page on Special Diets has been on Celebrity's web site. It could be something they have recently added, or something that hasn't been updated. All I know is the Infinity did not have a separate menu. We had Select Dining and I specifically asked so I could determine whether we wanted to eat in the main dining room or upstairs, and I was told there was NO menu. That's not to say that there is nothing to eat. The pasta line, stir-fry line and Indian line upstairs offer a large variety of things to eat. I was only really unhappy on formal nights. Twice the veg entree in the main dining room was Indian food (and nothing fancy--dal and rice!) which isn't very festive, and I didn't want to get dressed up to push a food tray down a cafeteria line. This did not say Modern Luxury to me.

This is all very confusing, some have had no problems, yet pie67 had many problems.

Even Celebrities own website states the following under "Already booked Cruise Dining":

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_special_dietary_needs_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_special_dietary_needs

We were on the Solstice last month.

Yes, the standard menu clearly mark which items are vegetarian.

No, Celebrity does not have a separate 7-days vegetarian menu.

Hallo Celebrity, promise only what you can deliver, and deliver more than you promise. ;)

We were on the Solstice last month.

Yes, the standard menu clearly mark which items are vegetarian.

No, Celebrity does not have a separate 7-days vegetarian menu.

Hallo Celebrity, promise only what you can deliver, and deliver more than you promise. ;)

Anandaindonesia, I am sorry you had a bad experience. We were on the Silhouette on March 10 and there definitely was a separate 7 day vegetarian menu. The items listed by the OP in Post #1 on this thread were the items that I remember being on the separate menu. Our DD always pre-ordered her dinner because of her nut allergy. Every night the Maitre D' would bring her both the regular menu for the next night, and the separate vegetarian menu. This was in Blu, but my understanding was that the vegetarian menu was the same one from the MDR.

Anandaindonesia, I am sorry you had a bad experience. We were on the Silhouette on March 10 and there definitely was a separate 7 day vegetarian menu. The items listed by the OP in Post #1 on this thread were the items that I remember being on the separate menu. Our DD always pre-ordered her dinner because of her nut allergy. Every night the Maitre D' would bring her both the regular menu for the next night, and the separate vegetarian menu. This was in Blu, but my understanding was that the vegetarian menu was the same one from the MDR.

Thank you, junglejane.

We had been looking forward to have that separate menu, and really disappointed when we asked for it and they said NO. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, apart from that, we have a great cruise and enjoy it. :)

Michael

I was so excited to read that they still had a separate vegetarian menu(haven't sailed with Celebrity in a few years) only to have my hopes dashed when someone else posted the menu no longer exists.

We will be sailing in Sept on Equinox and I am very concerned that the choices on the regular menu will not meet my needs.

Archived