Celebrity's new vegetarian menus

AlanAllyn

Sadly, the response was to just move my thread over to this board. Apparently it wasn't deemed appropriate for the other board. I thought it was a good question for Tina Alexander, because of the discrepancy between the website and what happens onboard.:(

We are vegetarian and are also disappointed to not have the separate menu. There is only one vegetarian entree choice on the regular menu. However, they have always been happy to substitute a pasta plate or a vegetable plate for us. We prefer “Select” dining--so looking at a menu the night before probably wouldn’t work.

Actually, Princess and RCCL don't have a separate vegie menu either, if I recall correctly.

We are vegetarian and are also disappointed to not have the separate menu. There is only one vegetarian entree choice on the regular menu. However, they have always been happy to substitute a pasta plate or a vegetable plate for us. We prefer “Select” dining--so looking at a menu the night before probably wouldn’t work.

Actually, Princess and RCCL don't have a separate vegie menu either, if I recall correctly.

You are correct that RCCL and Princess do not have separate menus.

I sailed Princess once and won't return for that very reason. They were not at all accommodating to my dietary needs. Every night I was offered pasta and broccoli. I like both but who wants to eat that every night?

RCCL was a bit more imaginative but still light years away from Cdlebrity's offerings.

I may end up in the buffet every night for dinner. I will see in Sept.

I asked about the rumor that they had discontinued the vegetarian menu to "contactmichael@celebrity.com" last week.

Today I got a call from Liz in corporate offices saying that they have no intention of discontinuing the vegetarian menu.

If your waiter is not aware of them, ask your maitre d'.

I asked about the rumor that they had discontinued the vegetarian menu to "contactmichael@celebrity.com" last week.

Today I got a call from Liz in corporate offices saying that they have no intention of discontinuing the vegetarian menu.

Hurray! Looks like I will be in the MDR after all.

Thanks so much!

That sea trout is most likely steelhead trout. Steelhead trout looks just like salmon.

Steelhead vs. Salmon

Great!

Did you find the fish entrees to be okay? I was recently on an RCI ship, and I ordered "sea trout". It came, and... my "trout" was salmon! Another night, I ordered the sea bass, and it was NOT sea bass... maybe halibut? Not sure.

This is the second time this morning that I read about them actually calling you to answer your questions. I don't know what it is that you're doing right but from now on if I have a question for Celebrity I'm going to have you ask it for me!

:D :D :D

This is the second time this morning that I read about them actually calling you to answer your questions. I don't know what it is that you're doing right but from now on if I have a question for Celebrity I'm going to have you ask it for me!

:D :D :D

lol I think you will find it was the same call but with more than 1 question.

Our son is vegetarian and we have been trying to get him on a cruise with us, since it's been 7 years since we have all cruised together.

I just e-mailed him the menu. Maybe this will entice him to finally join us again.

Thanks for posting it.

Our son is vegetarian and we have been trying to get him on a cruise with us, since it's been 7 years since we have all cruised together.

I just e-mailed him the menu. Maybe this will entice him to finally join us again.

Thanks for posting it.

I think they will make him anything he wants and can think of (within reason of course).

My husband is a vegan who also doesn't eat nuts or anything with oil. I don't know if it's because we were in Blu, but they made him many, many imaginative delicious meals. They don't tell you this but many of the Indonesian staff are also vegetarian so, as long as your son likes spicy foods, he'll have many choices!

(I also have to say that we've cruised many times with Princess , not in any special dining room, and they also have always accommodated him.)

I agree that they are very accomodating, especially in Blu. I think the point being emphasized here is that Celebrity advertises on its website that it has a separate 7 day vegetarian menu, but some people have reported being told by waiters that it doesn't exist. We saw and used the separate menu on the Silhouette. This seems to be another instance where something new hasn't filtered down to every waiter on every ship.

Thanks to AlanAllyn for calling Celebrity. I think the advice he got is good advice. If your waiter claims there is no separate vegetarian menu, talk to the Maitre d' (or go even higher if necessary) because in fact there is such a menu.

They don't tell you this but many of the Indonesian staff are also vegetarian so, as long as your son likes spicy foods, he'll have many choices!

(I also have to say that we've cruised many times with Princess , not in any special dining room, and they also have always accommodated him.)

Yes, we all love spicy food. Thanks for the tip and the info about Princess.

Yes, we all love spicy food. Thanks for the tip and the info about Princess.

I should add that on both lines we meet with the Maitre D' or assistant Maitre D' the first day to explain our dietary needs. I am getting the feeling that people who don't feel taken care of have just asked the waiters and I don't think the poor, overworked waiters "get" it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from our cruise about a week ago. Only ate in the MDR twice. The first night, I used the little leaf emblem to order my vegetarian food. The next night, I was a little disappointed in the offerings, and suddenly remembered this thread, so I figured I may as well try to ask for the separate menu. Well I did, and it was brought promptly! I ordered my entree from the veggie menu, my soup from the regular one, and my appetizer was listed on both.

Archived