Need some advice on NCL

cruzlvrri

Need some advice??

We've been on Carnival, Princess & Holland-would we be happy on NCL Sun for a western caribbean cruise at New Years-4 adults& 5 teens?? Just need a little objective advice-

Thanks in advance

Sorry to put it this way, but there's no such thing as objective advice. However, if you'd like to tell us a little more about what you liked about your previous cruises and what you didn't like, I'm sure many of us can offer our opinions as to whether NCL might be to your liking.

Issues such as a preference for traditional dining, a love for formal nights, an aversion to surcharge restaurants, etc. could give us an idea of what kind of fit the Sun would be.

Okay ,

Here's what we liked and didn't like- we like traditional dining,but we're flexible-we're kinda tired of the Formal nite thing-we like plenty of activites for the teens. We did HAL without the kids, which was great,but we are taking the kids on this cruise and we don't want them to be bored. Carnival was great for all of us-good food,entertainment-fun for all-just want to see how NCL compares.

Thanks again,

Wayne

As you know, NCL does not offer traditional dining. Instead, they offer Freestyle cruising, which covers several aspects of the cruise: 1) first and probably foremost, dining where, when and with whom is up to you; 2) "resort casual" dress is deemed appropriate every night, including the optional formal night(s); and 3) the disembarkation process is more relaxed, in that you are allowed to stay in your cabin until your color-coded category is called as opposed to having to wait in a public lounge.

The Sun has a number of dining venues: the two main dining rooms (Four Seasons and Seven Seas); Ginza, a Japanese restaurant that is really 3 restaurants in one (sushi bar, teppanyaki room and a sushi/sashimi sit-down section); Il Adagio (Italian); Le Bistro (French-Mediterranean); East Meets West (Asian Fusion) which may have been changed over to Cagney's Steakhouse by now; Pacific Heights (A "Healthy Living" restaurant featuring innovative spa menus, a gourmet pizza bar and Cooking Light dishes); Las Ramblas Tapas Bar & Restaurant; and finally, the Garden Buffet. The two main dining rooms, Pacific Heights, Las Ramblas and the buffet carry no surcharge. The other specialty restaurants charge extra. Opinions will run the gamut as far as whether it's worth it to pay a surcharge for the specialty restaurants. My opinion? Generally speaking, they're worth it. Le Bistro serves a delicious filet mignon and a wonderful chocolate fondue. Cagney's Steakhouse serves wonderful steaks. Teppanyaki (a Benihana-like restaurant) is entertaining and their entrees are excellent. I didn't care for their side dishes.

You can choose to dine in any of the above each night from 5:30 to about 10 (final seating time, but you can continue eating past that time). You can even dine in one early and have dessert later in a different venue. I love not having to rush if I'm returning from a late excursion. I love eating when I'm actually hungry or when it fits my schedule. This way, you can plan your evening around your activities OR when and where you'd like to dine. You can request an intimate table for two if that fits your mood, or you can request to be seated with others. If you've made new friends onboard or during an excursion, you can arrange to dine together. All of these aspects of Freestyle dining represent differences from traditional dining, where you're assigned a fixed time and a fixed set of tablemates. I concede that there are benefits to traditional dining, particularly the fact that having the same wait staff leads to a more personal dining experience. In addition, it's certainly possible that, with traditional dining, you'll be assigned to a table where everyone gets along famously. However, that doesn't always happen. Some people love Freestyle dining; others prefer traditional.

The dress code suits me just fine. I no longer have to pack all the formal clothes. Or, if the mood strikes me, I can decide to bring along a suit or a tux. I don't feel compelled to follow traditional dress guidelines. NCL's Freestyle policy deems "resort casual" attire as appropriate every night, including any optional formal night(s). On the formal night(s), they may designate one of the main dining rooms as the formal dining room. That way, formally dressed cruisers can dine together if they wish. Resort casual dress remains acceptable in all other venues.

In general, I've found NCL's entertainment to be top-notch, from the Jean Ann Ryan Company's production shows to the individual performers (jugglers, singers, magicians, comedians, etc.) to the lounge acts to the bands.

Sorry, but I can't help you with an opinion of NCL's Kids Crew Program. I'm sure others will be able to help you there.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to post them.

Just my two cents...

We have cruised Celebrity, Holland America (twice- Zuiderdam and Maasdam), and about to go on #3 with Norwegian - all 7-nt Caribbean cruises except for the upcoming Sun to Alaska. We are looking forward to a relaxing cruise with no set dinner time, although some cruises we DO enjoy a set dinner time. We're also looking forward to just one formal night. The clientele on our Thanksgiving Zuiderdam cruise in 2004 was very similar to our previous Norwegian cruises, although Maasdam clientele was different the previous Thanksgiving (of course it's different every time a ship embarks a new sailing of passengers). Norwegian accommodated our wedding group well in 2003, pleasing all ages from mid-twenties to early-seventies.

I say that NCL Freestyle is worth a try. Hubby and I are not die-hards with any one cruiseline, and appreciate seeing (and experiencing) the differences. However, when faced with planning an Alaska cruise for 14 of us (all first-timers for Alaska), we knew that Norwegian had taken care of our group before, so we are returning to NCL for this one. On top of that, the price was more affordable for our group even though there were no group rates left with NCL. We do not have any children, except the 130 I teach daily at school, so I can't help you with any kid programs onboard. However, at New Year's, the kiddo population onboard dramatically increases with virtually any cruiseline, so I would suspect lots of activities available.

I say definitely give NCL a try. We are very excited about returning to Freestyle for this upcoming cruise!! :) We're on the NCL Sun, and our very first cruise was on her sister ship, NCL Sky (now reflagged).

I just got off my first cruise and it was with NCL and it was absoultely fantastic from the food to the service to the ship to everything. The entertainment was pretty good but not fantastic. But I think you should give freestyle a try. It was really great being able to relax in the cabin after a long day ashore or staying in teh pool for an extra hour not having to worry about "woops I just missed dinner."

There are so many choices of restaurants that you don't need to repeat if you don't want to. I'm going to give traditional a try but for the time being I'm going to stick with freestyle and NCL because this first cruise was fabulous!

the Sun is my favorite ship and freestyle suits us just fine. In fact we are doing a 2 weeker, transatlantic in Oct on Celebrity and are dreading the formal nights. There will be activities for the teens, but we have found, most of the time, no matter what ship the teens just want to hang out with new friends. They will have a chance to meet the other kids in the age group the very first night. Everyone has his/her own idea about what makes cruising special to them. We have never had a bad cruise yet some are better than others and our best have been on NCL. This is just one person's opinion remember. NMNita

Archived