IS VOS being dumbed down in OZ?

Just been speaking to relatives who were on the NZ VOS cruise which returned on Sat. It was a 14 day cruise and apparently there was only 1 ice show with 4 performances and 1 parade staged twice. When we were on the VOS sister ship on the Navigator in October there were 2 different ice shows on a 7 day cruise and 2 parades- I think on the 7 day Oasis cruise there may even have been 3 seperate parades.

On 14 day cruises we have been on we have had a number of ice shows ans parades. Yhe VOS had 5 sea days. I would think they could have done wit a variety of entertainment. The parades and ice shows are new to Ausstraliam market and should be real selling points. What is happening here?

Just been speaking to relatives who were on the NZ VOS cruise which returned on Sat. It was a 14 day cruise and apparently there was only 1 ice show with 4 performances and 1 parade staged twice. When we were on the VOS sister ship on the Navigator in October there were 2 different ice shows on a 7 day cruise and 2 parades- I think on the 7 day Oasis cruise there may even have been 3 seperate parades.

On 14 day cruises we have been on we have had a number of ice shows ans parades. Yhe VOS had 5 sea days. I would think they could have done wit a variety of entertainment. The parades and ice shows are new to Ausstraliam market and should be real selling points. What is happening here?

From how I understand it these Australian VOS cruises are just part of an overall "Asian" repositioning cruise/ season.

New staff new food new drink new prices new entertainment and new languages to suit the Asian market (namely China) and we are part of Austral"Asia":D

I leave from Fremantle to Singapore on 9th March 2013 VOS cruise and from the very start the cruise has been advertised (and cheaply I might add) as an "Asian repositioning cruise!" Perhaps the around Australia/New Zealand cruisers missed the "Re positioning" part of their cruise when booking?

This is why there are so many staff changes that are blamed on Nuro when in actual fact they were possibly scheduled staff changes to accommodate the Chinese language?

Den

From how I understand it these Australian VOS cruises are just part of an overall "Asian" repositioning cruise/ season.

New staff new food new drink new prices new entertainment and new languages to suit the Asian market (namely China) and we are part of Austral"Asia":D

I leave from Fremantle to Singapore on 9th March 2013 VOS cruise and from the very start the cruise has been advertised (and cheaply I might add) as an "Asian repositioning cruise!" Perhaps the around Australia/New Zealand cruisers missed the "Re positioning" part of their cruise when booking?

This is why there are so many staff changes that are blamed on Nuro when in actual fact they were possibly scheduled staff changes to accommodate the Chinese language?

Den

Just off VOS on saturday and I have to say I have never been on a cruise with as many asian staff as were on this ship, this does not bother me but I was surprised at the lack of english spoken by these staff, not so much the buffet or dining room staff, but entertainment retail,crown and anchor staff and pursers desk, at times they were impossible to understand, obviously they were hired for the asian cruises prior to coming to Aus. All around the ship signage was in english and chinese, so it seems VOS is set to continue with the Asia-Aus-NZ cruises.Robin:)

Just off VOS on saturday and I have to say I have never been on a cruise with as many asian staff as were on this ship, this does not bother me but I was surprised at the lack of english spoken by these staff, not so much the buffet or dining room staff, but entertainment retail,crown and anchor staff and pursers desk, at times they were impossible to understand, obviously they were hired for the asian cruises prior to coming to Aus. All around the ship signage was in english and chinese, so it seems VOS is set to continue with the Asia-Aus-NZ cruises.Robin:)

RCI would want to get that sorted pretty quick if they want any chance to succeed here.

Australians are already getting short tempered at the way we get treated on pricing, price drops, deposits and other things compared to overseas for the same product, it won't take long for the review and travel community to cotton onto a ship of people that can't understand English sufficiently to function properly with their guest demographic whether the ship spends 6 months back in Asia or not.

I would imagine that the vast majority of passengers on cruises out of Sydney on VOS will be Australians?

I think they will settle into their Australian market after a while & probably realise they need to treat these cruises the same as they do on Radiance & Rhapsody & will not really need chinese signage & will need to ensure Asian staff can speak english.

They only just finished their 2nd ever VOS cruise in our waters (not counting the 1 day sampler) so hopefully it's just teething problems

Since Asia is a new market for them, they probably need to train new staff to fit both their Asian & Australian markets.

Australian cruisers need to make sure this message is made clear via the comment cards at the end of the cruise.

I will certainly let them know if I encounter the same issues.

We were on the Liberty in July in the Med, the Liberty being a larger ship than the Voyager, and there was only 1 Ice Show which was on perhaps, three times, and one parade, shown once. This was a 7 day cruise.

I suspect all their cruises get dumbed down when they aren't in the USA. Figures really. :mad:

Having said that, on the Med, which is a port intensive, hot long day cruise (which we loved!) we didnt bother with any of the entertainment. Our balcony, after a long weary day, was the perfect spot for us at night. But Australian/Pacific cruises are different - not so rushed, so more need to have good onboard entertainment.

I would imagine that the vast majority of passengers on cruises out of Sydney on VOS will be Australians?

I think they will settle into their Australian market after a while & probably realise they need to treat these cruises the same as they do on Radiance & Rhapsody & will not really need chinese signage & will need to ensure Asian staff can speak english.

They only just finished their 2nd ever VOS cruise in our waters (not counting the 1 day sampler) so hopefully it's just teething problems

Since Asia is a new market for them, they probably need to train new staff to fit both their Asian & Australian markets.

Australian cruisers need to make sure this message is made clear via the comment cards at the end of the cruise.

I will certainly let them know if I encounter the same issues.

Last week there was around 2100 Australians on board followed by several hundred each of Americans, British and Kiwis.

Archived