Confusion on Argentina Fee - Need Help Bill

commencemilo

Bill,

You prevously told me that you did not think that I need to pay the fee.

I am on The 12/18 sail of the Quest which ends in Buenos Aires and I am staying 1 more night. Flying home from BA on 12/29. I am having trouble getting through to the consulate. Do you still think that I do not have to pay it?

Thank you,

Melodye

I just read on the Argentine government website (in Spanish) http://www.argentina.gob.ar/informacion/45-viajar-a-la-argentina.php that ONLY Australians, Canadians and North Americans entering through the airport are subject to the reciprocal fee. Those entering from neighboring countries by ship, auto, train or bus are exempt.

Having said that, I also understand that their President is famous for "changing the rules" on a daily/weekly basis...so who knows!!

Hope this helps...

Melodye,

Based on the information that I've read, you will be exempt because you are arriving via cruise ship. The reciprocity fee is paid on arrival and since you are only departing by air, it's not applicable to you. The Canadian Government has updated their information on travel to Argentina, and since Americans, Australians and Canadians are all subject to the reciprocity fee (with the fee amount differing amongst the 3 nationalities), you might find the info helpful on this site with regards to the Reciprocity Fee (under "Entry/Exit Requirements")

...just an added note, there is talk of those arriving by cruise ship being subject to the fee in mid-2013.

I know you're looking for confirmation from Bill, but just thought I would post this while you're waiting.

Bill,

You prevously told me that you did not think that I need to pay the fee.

I am on The 12/18 sail of the Quest which ends in Buenos Aires and I am staying 1 more night. Flying home from BA on 12/29. I am having trouble getting through to the consulate. Do you still think that I do not have to pay it?

Thank you,

Melodye

Hello Melodye -

I can appreciate your concern about whether you will or will not be responsible for this fee. I'll repeat again that according to the information from our agent in Buenos Aires that this "Reciprocity Fee" will NOT be charged during this 2012/2013 season to those guests entering the country on a cruise ship. For now, guests on board cruise ships are exempted from this payment.

Since you're voyage departs from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and you'll be arriving into Buenos Aires, Argentina by a cruise ship on Wednesday, December 26, you will be exempt from this payment according to the above information.

Had you arrived into Argentina by plane, for example to board a cruise ship in Buenos Aires, then you would have been required to pay this Reciprocity Fee before boarding the plane through an online system. As has been pointed out, the only nationalities subject to this Reciprocity Fee are from the 1) USA; 2) Australia; and 3) Canada.

I hope that this information gives you some "peace of mind" so that you can enjoy the anticipation of your forthcoming Azamara vacation!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Thanks Bill and everyone else for your speedy replies. I appreciate it and I am looking forward to my trip to South America.

Perhaps this information should be provided to the Azamara agents. They are the ones that made me start to question this topic again.

All the Best,

Melodye

Hate to be a fly in the ointment but I just received a letter, dated Dec. 4, 2012, from Tauck that indicates that the fee will be applied to passengers arriving on cruise ships in Argentina. To quote:

"We are contacting you with important information concerning a recently expanded reciprocity tax imposed by Argentina on United States citizens traveling to the country. While this tax is not new the Argentinean government has until now only collected it from US citizens flying into Argentina. We have recently learned that that the government is expanding the scope of this reciprocity tax to now include US citizens arriving by boat."

The tax is $160 per person and must be paid online in advance of your arrival. You must bring the electronic receipt with you, or you will be DENIED entry into Argentina.The URL to be used is http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/

CONFUSION AGAIN - ARGENTINA RECIPROCITY FEE: YES OR NO?

Hello Future Visitors to Argentina -

I've forwarded the information that "Bill C" received from Tauck Tours that cruise ship passengers will be subject to the $160 per person fee to our shore excursion and technical operations team so that they can determine if as "Mare s" is suggesting that there is still confusion about the waiver for cruise ships.

Please stand by as we determine the "final" word from our contacts in Argentina. Now we can understand why the "tango" is such a "dramatic" dance.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

On the Argentina Consulate site for Australia, it says,

"Australian, Canadian or American citizens arriving into Argentina as passengers of a cruise ship, will remain exempted from the reciprocity fee until the last day of June of 2013. Passengers arriving in cruise ships on the 1st of July 2013 and afterwards, will have to pay the reciprocity fee online before their arrival into the argentine port."

Here's the link to the full article.

cpgrneyes ... not sure if you saw the info in the link that I posted above, but it mentions, "Beginning January 7th, 2013, all border immigration offices (not only Ezeiza and Aeroparque airports) will begin to request Reciprocity Fee payment receipts as a condition for the admission (exempted -see below- passengers arriving Argentina by cruise-ship)."

Have you tried calling the Argentine Embassy in the country where you live? I'm not sure I would rely on Azamara for this information if you're not travelling with them during your pre-cruise trip from Brazil to Argentina.

A very reliable member on the South America forum has recently posted that the Argentina reciprocity fee won't be payable by cruise ship passengers until July 2013.

Exemption: reciprocity fee for passengers arriving by cruise ship

Australian, Canadian or American citizens arriving into Argentina as passengers of a cruise ship, will remain exempted from the reciprocity fee until the last day of June of 2013. Passengers arriving in cruise ships on the 1st of July 2013 and afterwards, will have to pay the reciprocity fee online before their arrival into the argentine port.

As predicted, Argentina will soon begin collecting entry/reciprocity fees at all entry points, including cruise ships....

-----------

ARGENTINA UPDATE Reciprocity Fee Pre-payment- starting Jan 7,2013 at ALL Entries except cruise passengers. Cruise passengers will be required to pay the fee beginning July 1, 2013.

http://csidn.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/4552

www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/… (so far, in Spanish only)

AS OF JANUARY 7, 2013 pre-paid on-line reciprocity fees before departure and arrival will be payable for all entries into Argentina for Americans, Australian or Canadians, whether by land , sea, or flight.

Pre-payment has already started, no problems reported so far, it just does not become obligatory until 28 DECEMEBER 2012 for flights to Aeroparque (AEP) or for Ezeiza (EZE) International Airport, BA. As of right now , it is still an option to paying on arrival. As of January 7, 2013, it is scheduled to apply for all entry points, everywhere, by land, sea or flight.

Full thread with discussion here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=174946

Hello Future Visitors to Argentina -

We have received reconfirmation from our port agent in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Navijet S.A., that the Reciprocity Fee will NOT be charged during this 2012/2012 season to those guests entering the country on board a cruise ship. Therefore, if a national from the USA, Australia and/or Canada boards the Azamara Quest in Brazil and enters Argentina on board the ship, this person will not have to pay this fee.

On the other hand, if guests arrive into Argentina by other means of transport (plane, car, bus, van, etc), to board a cruise ship in an Argentinean port, they will have to pay this Reciprocity Fee before traveling to Argentina. The payment will have to be done through an online system.

Argentinean Immigration Authority made an agreement with one Argentinean Bank to collect the payment online – Banco Provincia. Their website for paying the Immigration reciprocity fee is:

§ “Provincia Pagos” website: https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/

§ There are instructions in English describing the process and the need to print the receipt so that it can be scanned upon entry into Argentina.

Note to "Cpgrneyes" and the request for a "definitive answer" - I believe that in your unique situation of arriving into Argentina by car, that you should pay the Reciprocity Fee prior to your departure using the recommended website. I noticed on the other thread, however, that you wonder what would happen if you had not paid the fee prior to your departure. I can't answer that, but with the contact information that "Susan-M" of Canada has provided, I suggest that you do your own due-diligence to determine whether you should pay the tax before your departure.

I hope that this information from our port agent provides the guests sailing on the Azamara Quest's December 18, 2012 voyage with the confidence that you will not be required to pay this fee when you arrive into Buenos Aires.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Archived