Carnival Splendor or Norwegian Gem?

LMA5876

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary :) next August and are interested in taking a cruise. Looking for comments/opinions on both the Splendor and the Gem :confused:. We are past guests of both cruise lines but have not sailed on either of these particular ships.

I have never been on the Splendor (or Carnival for that matter). Since you know both lines, you understand the similarities & differences in general. The suggestion to read the reviews, including the professional ones, is a good idea.

We're going on our second Gem cruise. Honestly, she's my least favorite NCL ship. The interior is loud, garish lime greens & purples with lots of neon. Not my taste at all. I do like the layout of the ship. The library is beautiful & well stocked. The rock wall provides a nice wind screen when laying out on deck. There is a water slide but I felt every rivet the 1-2 times I indulged. :(

Happy Anniversary. I doubt you can go wrong with either trip. I'd probably pick the Gem just to go to Le Bistro for my anniversary dinner (even though DH & I got engaged in Cagneys) unless the price difference was substantial.

Hello and congatulations on your 25th Anniversary next year!

My DW and I are celebrating our 25th in May on a cruise also.

While I have never been on Carnival, NCL is good for us. We have since taken a RCCL Cruise and have another in May but I do like NCL.

Whatever you decide you will be on a CRUISE with the one you LOVE so you really can't go wrong. lol

Happy Cruising

We were on the Splendor in November and Mom and Sis just got off her.

We prefer the Fantasy and Spirit classes. The Splendor was built in 2008.

Many love her Spa. We are not spa people so cannot comment.

She feels a bit crowded to us in some areas. Her Anytime Dining line needs to be thought out. It runs into the photog stations. Her food was good this past month. Like all Carnival ships she has all the 24hour food places and a rotisserie and a tandoor station. The tandoor is always very good.

Her decor runs to the pink and circular. After a while it is unnoticable.

She has a retractable roof over the Lido pool. Movies are shown here.

If she wasn't leaving LA we would sail on her again.

This is the All Things Splendor thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1199235&highlight=splendor

Archived