How to stop shoulder strap slipping?

Hi,

I'm new to posting messages but have been reading the boards and have picked up some great tips here. You are all so helpful and imaginative.

My problem is that I have a couple of sleeveless tops which have a 'V' front and back and the shoulder straps, though wide, tend to slip and show my bra straps when I sit. Now I definately need to wear a bra with good supportive straps and wondered if anyone has any tips to help keep the two together? (Superglue may be the answer!):)

Many thanks, Lesley

Hi Lesley

I found some double-sided tape that works well, but for the life of me I can't remember where I bought it. One side gets adhered to the inside of the fabric and the other to your skin; and it doesn't even hurt! However, I bet a bridal shop may have something like that. It's worth a try. Good luck.

Esther

Lesley,

Here's two solutions:

Some of the more expensive tank-tops come with lingerie straps in them. You can duplicate this by yourself or have a dressmaker do it. Get a very thin piece of fabric and sew half a snap onto one end. On the shoulder of your blouse, sew the other half of the snap and then permanently sew down the loose end. So you will now have a loop of fabric on the underside of your top that is permantly sewn down on one end and can snap open & closed on the other end. When dressing, place your bra strap in the loop and it then won't be able to slip out. Look at tank tops from companies like Ellen Tracy or Dana Buchman if I'm not describing this well.

The other problem could be that the armhole of the top is simply too big for you and that's why it keeps falling. Have a dressmaker shorten it by taking some of the fabric off the top at the thinnest part and resewing a new top seam. Extremely simple alteration.

Jane

YES, THE double sided tape is good to use. They have it in town where I live at a Hanes/Bali store. So if you have some sort of store like that in your town, check them out.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your fast replies. All the suggestions look great and I'll try to find the double sided tape for a quick solution. I really must find the time to get sewing the tapes on for a permanent fix! However my husband could tell you of shirts with buttons that have been missing for a while that have been resigned to the back of the wardrobe!

I love doing hand and machine embroidery but hate everyday things like hems, buttons etc. Still this is a very exciting first cruise for us and I will make the effort to get it right.

Many thanks again, Lesley

A racerback bra in nude usually does the trick for me. In a pinch (can't beleive I'm admitting this) I've tied my bra straps together in the back with a cut off shoelace. Geez.

Broughton's blouse is "v" shaped in the back. Bringing the straps close together in the back, may indeed keep them from slipping, however, they'll now show. And if tied with a shoe-lace, might not be an attractive look.

Another trick if you can't find the double stick tape at the lingerie store is toupee tape. It's what all the movie stars use on the red carpet to keep everything in place! Also, in a pinch, you can spray your skin with hair spray to make it a little sticky.

Broughton's blouse is "v" shaped in the back. Bringing the straps close together in the back, may indeed keep them from slipping, however, they'll now show. And if tied with a shoe-lace, might not be an attractive look.

Only when I knew it would not show LOL! Can't beleive I admitted that! Ssshhh.

A racerback bra in nude usually does the trick for me. In a pinch (can't beleive I'm admitting this) I've tied my bra straps together in the back with a cut off shoelace. Geez.

Am I the only one wondering if your DH did this for you or are you really a contortionist? I can't picture myself performing that maneuver LOL.:)

Ditto on the toupee tape - it is a life saver! I get mine at our Sally beauty supply store. It comes in pre-cut strips about the size of a small bandaid and they are made for skin so they hold really well but aren't killer coming off! You can also use them between your shirt and bra stap to hold it in place. Good Luck!

Hi again

I knew your replies would be helpful. Once I heard the ideas my problem was trying to find shops that sold double sided tape or toupee tape or even the lingerie retaining straps. We do not seem to be catered for as well as you are when it comes to wide choices of items.

Then I had a brainwave and thought of ebay and have now ordered toupee tape (I would never have thought of that). When it arrives I will let you know how well it works or if I have to get out the needle and thread after all!

Many thanks again, Lesley

(I will remember the shoelace trick for other clothes - but I won't tell who told me).

Lesley,

Here's two solutions:

Some of the more expensive tank-tops come with lingerie straps in them. You can duplicate this by yourself or have a dressmaker do it. Get a very thin piece of fabric and sew half a snap onto one end. On the shoulder of your blouse, sew the other half of the snap and then permanently sew down the loose end. So you will now have a loop of fabric on the underside of your top that is permantly sewn down on one end and can snap open & closed on the other end. When dressing, place your bra strap in the loop and it then won't be able to slip out. Look at tank tops from companies like Ellen Tracy or Dana Buchman if I'm not describing this well.

The other problem could be that the armhole of the top is simply too big for you and that's why it keeps falling. Have a dressmaker shorten it by taking some of the fabric off the top at the thinnest part and resewing a new top seam. Extremely simple alteration.

Jane

Jane I have seen a dress or 2 that has like a sheer silk top and then an underfabric in a poly satin that was made just as you describe. In fact I tried on a dress and looked to see if the underslip was detactable and it was but made with that snap loop instead of tacked on with a piece of thread the way I have seem many done. I thought the snap loop so much more praticial.

The second issue you mentioned is me. I am narrow shouldered and have this problem ALWAYS. I do not take a petite anywhere else. Just the shoulder area which causes the problem on me.

I had taken a top to a seamtress but she said it would be impossible to alter it without her pretty much remaking it. (It had a lot of sequins and beading on it) Her cost for altering was pretty high (like $60) So I returned the top.

I think the tape would drive me crazy! Especially if it was hot outside and the tape starts to dissolve with the heat and perspiration. The method Jane110 describes really isn't that difficult to do, I've had several tank tops or sheath dresses with this same feature. One top I have has several strands of thread braided together, sewn on one side of the top, a very small hook and eye on the other. You simply run the thread under your bra strap and hook it up. I have a new top with the "invisible" tape (sort of like invisible bra straps) to hold the straps in place. If you are simply all thumbs when it comes to sewing, very tiny safety pins can be used, making sure the pin part is through the seam so it doesn't show and the pin is facing away from your skin in case it should open. You may need assistance with this method.

I used to sell toupee tape in my salon, it's a very strong adhesive and it's great for holding the cleavage part of the dress together. However, make sure your skin can tolerate it, some of us have sensitive skin, I know I have a hard time even with bandages. So, try a small piece on your skin before vacation.

Jane I have seen a dress or 2 that has like a sheer silk top and then an underfabric in a poly satin that was made just as you describe. In fact I tried on a dress and looked to see if the underslip was detactable and it was but made with that snap loop instead of tacked on with a piece of thread the way I have seem many done. I thought the snap loop so much more praticial.

The second issue you mentioned is me. I am narrow shouldered and have this problem ALWAYS. I do not take a petite anywhere else. Just the shoulder area which causes the problem on me.

I had taken a top to a seamtress but she said it would be impossible to alter it without her pretty much remaking it. (It had a lot of sequins and beading on it) Her cost for altering was pretty high (like $60) So I returned the top.

Well unfortunately with sequins and beads, alterations get to be a lot more money. Usually tank tops fit me fine, but a couple of times, I've needed to do this alteration. Once with a very expensive beaded gown. I had the store do it. They were less $$$ than a dressmaker and if something went wrong, it was their merchandise.

But at least you now know that the problem is solveable - even if it's just a cotton tank top.

Jane

The toupee tape arrived and would have done the trick in an emergency but as the material is thin you could see the area which was stuck down. I resorted to sewing on some narrow ribbon with hook & eye fasteners on one end which has solved the problem (well done Jane).

The toupee tape will come in handy as I was pulling my hair out with frustration trying to sew on the tiny hooks!

Lesley

Archived