Greenock (Scotland) tourist information

I just ran across some excellent information on the Live from the Golden thread on the Princess boards. They are out at sea now. Someone from the prior cruise posted that there are free tours offered by the local tourist board in Greenock. They do ask for donations for gas, etc. at the end of the tours. The woman who posted loved their tours. She especially loved going to Newark Castle. I have read good things about Newark Castle before on other boards here. The group is Inverclyde Tourist Group and their website is www.glimpsesofgreenock.co.uk On the website they give information on how to find them when you get off the ship and what tours they offer. I already have a guide booked, or we would be doing these tours!

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have just gotten home from the June 20 Jewel of the Seas British Isles/Norway cruise. We had an amazing private guide in Scotland. He picked us up at the cruise pier in Greenock and took us to the castles and sights that we wanted to tour. We really enjoyed touring with him, he is very personable and knowledgable. Scotland is absolutely gorgeous! Craig emailed me our itinerary for the day - here it is in his words:

"Leaving Greenock we firstly headed along the banks of the River Clyde

before crossing the river in the center of Glasgow. We drove north to

Stirling and stopped at Stirling Castle which you toured. We then headed

over to the National Wallace Monument.

Next we headed to Doune Castle of Monty Python fame before heading into

the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park at Callander. Stopped for

pictures of Hamish the Highland Cow then headed to the banks of Loch

Venachar. We took the Dukes Pass road through the Trossachs to Balmaha

then up to the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond. We then headed south and over

the Erskine Bridge and back to Greenock. Finally I took you to the Lyle

Hill for the views of the River Clyde and hills of Argyll before back to

the ship.

Many thanks for your custom. I hope you all enjoyed the day as much as I

did and the good weather certainly helped!

If you or any of you family, friends or colleagues are ever in Scotland I

would be delighted to do another Mini tour. I can also tour using other

vehicles if required for larger groups.

Kind Regards.

Craig

Craig McCall Flynn, BA(Hons)

Mini Tours Scotland

Guided tours of Scotland in a Mini Cooper.

His price for the day was very reasonable and we really enjoyed his services. He also did not require a deposit up front like some of the other tour companies. We were a family of 4 so we did not tour in his Mini Cooper - he had a very nice sedan for us. He has a great website also with lots if information about him and his tours at www.mini-tours.com.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned July 11th from the Golden and same as the previous poster we used Craig's Mini Tours in Scotland. He met us in Greenock and in South Queensferry. We had 2 wonderful days exploring Scotland.

We did both city and countryside touring, explored Glasgow and Edinburgh and some lovely small towns along with visits to Loch Lomond and the Rosslyn Chapel and much much more.

If you are interested, is web site is http://www.mini-tours.com

Bill

The free local tourist board trips are very enjoyable. The local guides are very knowledgeable and friendly. We only took the 1 hour local tour at 2.00pm, but some others went in the morning as well. Make sure you book the tours early in the morning by disembarking, walking into the tours and shopping area set up dockside, collecting tickets for the required trips and then returning at the appointed time. Those who left it to late morning were too late for the tours as they get full.

We walked into Greenock shopping centre in the morning and visited the local library for free internet access.

Cinnamon

Archived