Gatun Locks or Miraflores Locks?

New Yorker in Texas

Hello, we are going to cruise with Celebrity and going to stopover in Colon, Panama... we are researching some tours itineraries by Travel Agencies and still not sure if we are going to go all the way to Panama City to see the Miraflores Locks or stay in Colon for the Gatun Locks... any advice will be great!

Thanks a lot! ;)

There are basically three choices of itineraries:

1-10 day or so turn around cruise from Florida where you go through Gatun Locks into the Canal on the Atlantic side, get off in Gatun Lake to explore Panama, while the ship returns to Colon, on the Atlantic side to wait for guests to return from tours.

2 - Complete Canal Transit where you go from one ocean to the other going through Panama, but generally not stopping. You go through all the locks and see the entire Canal, but only the Canal.

3 - "2-Day Panama" option - which IMHO is THE BEST option because you go through the entire Canal from ocean to ocean AND you get a full day in Amador ("Fuerte Amador") which is part of Panama City. That extra day allows you to experience Panama.

I would make your choice not based on loyalty to any one cruise line, but based on the best itinerary. There is a wealth of information on this board. Do some reading and research about the Canal before your trip [this is not a shameless plug!] and you will get a whole lot more out of your Canal Cruise whichever itinerary you choose.

Regards and Happy Holidays! Richard

There are basically three choices of itineraries:

1-10 day or so turn around cruise from Florida where you go through Gatun Locks into the Canal on the Atlantic side, get off in Gatun Lake to explore Panama, while the ship returns to Colon, on the Atlantic side to wait for guests to return from tours.

2 - Complete Canal Transit where you go from one ocean to the other going through Panama, but generally not stopping. You go through all the locks and see the entire Canal, but only the Canal.

3 - "2-Day Panama" option - which IMHO is THE BEST option because you go through the entire Canal from ocean to ocean AND you get a full day in Amador ("Fuerte Amador") which is part of Panama City. That extra day allows you to experience Panama.

I would make your choice not based on loyalty to any one cruise line, but based on the best itinerary. There is a wealth of information on this board. Do some reading and research about the Canal before your trip [this is not a shameless plug!] and you will get a whole lot more out of your Canal Cruise whichever itinerary you choose.

Regards and Happy Holidays! Richard

Hello Richard, thanks for your fast reply. We are just going to be in Panama from 8am to 5pm, just a cruise stopover. That's why we are debating if we go to Panama City or stay in Colon. We would like to know which of the locks (Miraflores or Gatun) are better to see in a 1 day tour.

Thanks a lot,

Emy

Emy, Two suggestions, if offered . . . If your primary interest is the Canal, and its offered, do the ferry boat which takes you through Gaillard Cut, Pedro Miquel Lock, and Miraflores Locks then drops you off in Amador for the bus ride back to Colon and the ship. Alternatively, take a tour which includes the Visitor Center at Miraflores Locks where you will get a good view of the action. Regards, Richard

Gatun is the largest set of locks (3 stages) with Miraflores next (2 stages).

Gatun is of course just a few minutes from Colon while Miraflores is at least an hour ride each way.

Miraflores has the advantage of a nice visitor center with displays and "museum stuff" along with multiple covered viewing decks and a restaurant.

Gatun's visitor center is more or less a viewing platform, and it's not quite as close to the action as Miraflores, but again, a heck of a lot closer to Colon.

I agree with Richard in that if your interest is in the canal, and it is spectacular, the shore excursion offering a boat ride through the Culebra/Galliard Cut and Pacific locks is the superior way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Emy, Two suggestions, if offered . . . If your primary interest is the Canal, and its offered, do the ferry boat which takes you through Gaillard Cut, Pedro Miquel Lock, and Miraflores Locks then drops you off in Amador for the bus ride back to Colon and the ship. Alternatively, take a tour which includes the Visitor Center at Miraflores Locks where you will get a good view of the action. Regards, Richard

Richard,

Is your advice to take the Ferry excursion out of Colon after we have just gone through the Canal? I am slightly confused as some say it is fabulous and others say it is not worth the cost as we have just seen the locks in transit and to go to see the Milaflores Visitor's Center. What do you think as our interest is the Canal. Thanks!

Richard,

Is your advice to take the Ferry excursion out of Colon after we have just gone through the Canal? I am slightly confused as some say it is fabulous and others say it is not worth the cost as we have just seen the locks in transit and to go to see the Milaflores Visitor's Center. What do you think as our interest is the Canal. Thanks!

My opinion: If you have done a complete transit of the Canal you have had the BEST view and experience available. If your interest is primarily the Canal, you might look and see if your ship is offering a tour that takes you to a newly opened viewing area where you can actually see and watch the construction of the new locks. I have not done it, but it is supposed to be well done and an interesting experience. I wouldn't take the ferry transit tour if I'd just done a complete transit. And the Miraflores Visitor's Center is primarily for all those folks who aren't on a cruise ship. All those folks watching you go by are wishing they were on the ship! Regards, Richard

My opinion: If you have done a complete transit of the Canal you have had the BEST view and experience available. If your interest is primarily the Canal, you might look and see if your ship is offering a tour that takes you to a newly opened viewing area where you can actually see and watch the construction of the new locks. I have not done it, but it is supposed to be well done and an interesting experience. I wouldn't take the ferry transit tour if I'd just done a complete transit. And the Miraflores Visitor's Center is primarily for all those folks who aren't on a cruise ship. All those folks watching you go by are wishing they were on the ship! Regards, Richard

Thanks so much for your great advice. Is it possible/safe to find a private guide or taxi from the dock to see the new construction viewing area? Lindy

Thanks so much for your great advice. Is it possible/safe to find a private guide or taxi from the dock to see the new construction viewing area? Lindy

Lindy, Licensed cabs in Panama must be yellow with a checkered stripe. I'm sure you could find a taxi to take you out. Taxi should run $30 or so an hour.

Here is a link to some info about the new visitor center and some pics.

new-visitorscenter.jpg

gatun-visitor-4.jpg

visitor-map.jpg

new-locks-01.jpg

So far I've heard nothing but good comments about this experience.

Regards, Richard

Lindy, Licensed cabs in Panama must be yellow with a checkered stripe. I'm sure you could find a taxi to take you out. Taxi should run $30 or so an hour.

new-visitorscenter.jpg

gatun-visitor-4.jpg

visitor-map.jpg

new-locks-01.jpg

Regards, Richard

Thank you so much for the pictures. Is this close to where we will dock in Colon? Not sure about the different Locks.

Lindy

• 1 year later...

I'm still not clear on which locks are best to visit...I'd love to get a bit more advice!

We will be disembarking from Colon and could go and see the Gatun locks before returning back to Panama City. OR, should we return back to our hotel in Panama City and arrange a tour of the Miraflores locks? How far are the Miraflores locks from PC?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks so much!

Overall Miraflores is more set up for tourists with a museum, video presentation, a restaurant in addition to being able to watch the operation of the locks. One word of caution at Miraflores, because of the Canal traffic there can be periods of time when there is not a ship in the locks. If that happens, that could be a bit disappointing. The absence of ship at Gatun is a very rare occurrence, so that could enter into your decision. There are ways to minimize missing a ship if you decide on Miraflores. You can go right went they open... I think 9AM or wait until after 2PM. If there is going to a slack period it would normally occur from around 11AM to 1PM. Please bear in mind that these are just guidelines.... there is just no way to predict.

As to how far away Miraflores is from Panama City, really depends on just where your hotel is located. The key ingredient here is not going to the distance, but the traffic. Miraflores Locks is probably not more than 10-12 miles from many hotels. If you are staying somewhere like the Country Inn and Suites in Ft. Amador or the Holiday Inn in Ciudad de Saber (the former US Army Ft. Clayton) we are not talking a major investment in travel time since they are relatively close.

Either of the two locks would be a good choice, they each have their advantages.

Thanks BillB48!

Since we'll be taking our 4 year old son with us, I think we will probably opt for the Miraflores locks. Thanks for your warning about the absence of ships - perhaps having a restaurant and museum to wander around will buy us a bit more time there, giving us the opportunity to see one coming through...

We'll be staying at the Waldorf Astoria, so I'm assuming they can request a taxi for us or we can arrange our own transportation? (We are fluent in Spanish).

Any idea what the cost would be? I did also write to MyFriendMario, but haven't received a response as of yet...

I appreciate your input!

I'm still not clear on which locks are best to visit...I'd love to get a bit more advice!

Any advice appreciated! Thanks so much!

This start of this shows Miraflores Locks (as we entered the canal)

and the end of this shows the Gatun Locks as we enter the Caribbean Sea

As to how you judge which is best, who knows ? I suppose Gatun, being the 3 step lock, is more visually impressive but to me it was all incredible and I hope that in this centenary year there is a proper acknowledgement of what will surely remain for all time man's greatest physical engineering project, considering the technologies of the time. All the best, Tony

Thanks BillB48!

We'll be staying at the Waldorf Astoria, so I'm assuming they can request a taxi for us or we can arrange our own transportation? (We are fluent in Spanish). I am sure you could do either one. Since you speak Spanish, that may help in getting a better price!

Any idea what the cost would be? I did also write to MyFriendMario, but haven't received a response as of yet... Been awhile since I used a cab in Panama and really would not have a feel for the price. You may want to negotiate a price for the cab to wait for you since I don't know how easy it will be to get a cab back once you are at Miraflores Locks... just a thought.

A lot of people on this board have used MFM, but lately they don't seem to be on top of things as they once were. Don't have a clue as to why.

I appreciate your input!

Response in red :).

The Waldorf is certainly within the 10-12 mile range but a bit more in the heavier traffic area, maybe allow an hour to get to the locks depending of course on traffic. There is so much work going on in the city, particularly subway construction, so it's hard to predict what the impact is on traffic even outside of rush hour.

Edited by BillB48

Thanks BillB48!

Since we'll be taking our 4 year old son with us, I think we will probably opt for the Miraflores locks.

I would add this to your decision to visit the Miraflores locks:

There is a lot of history in the area of Panama City. Begin at the locks and then visit the 'old city' and the colonial ruins that Henry Morgan (the pirate) sacked. It will make for a very interesting day.

Finding a tour guide to show you these sites shouldn't be difficult.

Edited by thinfool

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back.

Our cruise didn't go through the Panama Canal, but we did stop at Colon. There's nothing at the port itself, so you really need to get out and explore. One thing we really wanted to do was to see the Panama Canal, though we didn't feel a need to have to ride through it at great expense. We prearranged the "Rainforest (Watching Birds and Monkeys) + San Lorenzo Fort + Gatun Locks" private tour through Almiza Tours (aka My Friend Mario) for US$60 per adult. The tour ran from 8:40am to 3:30pm (ship time). The tour included: Transfer from and to the Colon dock, touring in air conditioned minibus, an English/Spanish speaking guide, beverages (bottled Cokes, water, and local beer), a stop for fruit, and entrance fees to both Gatun locks (a set of locks on the Panama Canal) and San Lorenzo National park (which includes another fort to explore).

Our bus had seats for about 30 people, but only fits about 16 comfortably as each pair of seats really only fit 1.5 people. We had 26 passengers plus a driver, our guide, and a spotter (who was genuinely proficient at spotting wildlife). Let's just say we got to know each other really well.

The Gutan Locks are located 30 minutes from the pier. We got there in time to watch a huge cargo ship, with barely a few inches on either side of it, enter and exit the Gutan locks guided by mules (powerful little electric-powered train-like locomotive). Each lock is 1050 feet long, 110 feet wide, and 42 feet deep. As ships go through the 3 locks, they are raised or lowered a total of 85-feet. Each of the 3 chambers requires almost 27 Million gallons of water to lift a ship to the required hight before moving into the next lock. Interestingly, the Panama Canal was celebrating it's Centenial in 2014.

We then drove through the rain forest and took a short narrated walk. We saw Howler Monkeys, 2 or 3 sloths, and lots of flora and fauna. Panama has some 2300 spieces of trees.

Following the hike we stopped at Fort San Lorenzo, a late 1500's fort located near Ft. Sherman, an old US military base. Buccaneer Henry Morgan attacked the fort in 1670, leaving it in ruins, and then sacked the city of Panama a year later. It's a cool fort, in need of repair, with lots of cannons and good picture opportunities. We stopped for cold local pineapple and watermellon on the way back to the ship.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/panama-canal.jpg

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

To answer the original question specifically with your ship docking in Colon .

Most cruise lines offer a combined rail/coach tour. This tour takes you across the isthmus parallel to the canal on the Panama Railway taking 1 hour . A coach then takes you onto Panama City for lunch, then returns to the visitor centre at Miraflores locks where you can observe the operation of the locks and also visit the historical canal museum. The coach then returns to Colon.

So you see the whole operation of the canal, locks etc . Coming back by coach across the isthmus takes around 2 hours plus around an hour stop at Miraflores Locks & Visitor Centre .

• 2 weeks later...

new-visitorscenter.jpg

gatun-visitor-4.jpg

visitor-map.jpg

new-locks-01.jpg

Regards, Richard

Thank you for posting the pictures and the map Richard!