Amalie coast by motor launch & Pompeii or Amalfi drive & Pompeii

tango nana

We went through the exact same dilema last year. Someone on the same cruise two weeks before us told us what a great trip the Amalfi coast by motor launch was so we chose that. I can't comment on the other trip but the motor launch trip was fantastic. Here is a link to our pictures.

http://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

Besides the fact I wouldn't do a ship's tour in that region, I would probably go with the boat version. Traffic along the Amalfi coast can be brutal and the ship size buses cannot get into Positano, for example.

The motor launch trip does not go to Positano. It does not drive along the coast. That is the basic difference in the two tours. The motor launch trip goes to Salerno and takes a boat up the coast to Amalfi. The bus is pretty much used just for transportation, not for sightseeing. This poster is correct. If you want to go to Positano, you would need to find a tour with a smaller vehicle.

I agree....must find a smaller tour.We used RomeinLimo last year and the drive is simply breathtaking...driving on the narrow winding roads is not to be missed.

Wealso hired a private tour guide through the vendor for the Pompeii tour and it was the very best walkng tour we have ever taken.

Whatever you do,you will love it!!

eclue:o

Depends on the line, different policies. But have you looked into maybe sharing a private tour via your roll call? Will often be cheaper and you will see a lot more most likely.

Thanks. Appreciate the info. How far in advance should should the ship tours be reserved? Our ship leaves May 17.

I made a last minute decision in July and didn't have a problem. Many of the responses assume that you've made a decision to do the land tour and recommend various providers. Having done the motor launch tour I can put in a plug for how cool it was seeing the various villages/beaches from the water.

• 10 months later...
Trying to decide which excursion to choose. Either Amalfi coast by motor launch or Drive. Both go to Pompeii. They are both ship excursions for 9 1/2 hours. Would love any feedback from anyone who went on these excursions.

Thanks

Tango Nana, I am wondering if you decided to take this tour by motor launch, and if so, what did you think of it? We are considering it for our cruise in May of next year. DH is not keen on small boats and I am not keen on driving along the side of cliffs, but we would like to see a bit of the Amalfi Coast. The deciding factor here would probably be the size of the "motor launch" and whether the ride is usually smooth, so any details you can provide on these points would be really helpful.

Thanks!

See my post from nine months ago about the boat trip (with pictures). We went back this year and took the land trip down the coast. I thought that it would be a "light" picture day since we would be on the bus. Forgetaboutit!. I took over 400 pictures. Which is better? Its a hard call. The land tour beats the boat part of the tour, but doing the boat tour we also got to go to Pompeii in the afternoon.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/717

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
See my post from nine months ago about the boat trip (with pictures). We went back this year and took the land trip down the coast. I thought that it would be a "light" picture day since we would be on the bus. Forgetaboutit!. I took over 400 pictures. Which is better? Its a hard call. The land tour beats the boat part of the tour, but doing the boat tour we also got to go to Pompeii in the afternoon.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/717

Hi, Not sure if you still read these boards but wanted your opinion of the amalfi coast tours. We will have already done Pompeii on a land tour so do you think the Amalfi land tour would be best as opposed to the tour with the coastal cruise.Thanks, Kerrie

Hi, Still here.

The pictures from both tours are posted on this thread. Both tours are great so its hard to say which you will like better. For an all day experience the ride from Sorrento to Salerno down the coast is awesome. I easily took 400 pictures that day.

Edited by mskaufman

Hi, Still here.

The pictures from both tours are posted on this thread. Both tours are great so its hard to say which you will like better. For an all day experience the ride from Sorrento to Salerno down the coast is awesome. I easily took 400 pictures that day.

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply. Will have a close look at your photos :) Thanks, Kerrie

Six of us rented a motorboat with Captain on our port day in Amalfi (with Amalfi Marine) last month and went up the coast, about 50 miles, to Capri (where we spent a few hours; that chairlift ride up Mt. Solaro is fabulous) and back.

This IMO is the best way to appreciate the sheer beauty of the Amalfi Coast. We did a van tour a few years back, but the views from the water are spectacular.