Akaroa suggestions re mountain bike hire

Sutho

I am off to New Zealand next year on Celebrity Solstice and the ship stops at Akaroa. I am looking to do something on my own in Akaroa and am more of the physically fit type that likes adventure and am interested in scenic photography. I have an idea about hiring a mountain bike to ride around the town and up into some hills for vantage spots for photos. I am just wodnering if:

1.) are there any mountain bike hire places in Akaroa?

2.) if so how far would I have to travel around to get a highly elevated lookout place for stunning views of the town and surrounding mountains?

3.) are there any bike tracks around Akaroa?

Check out...

http://www.akaroa.com/activities/akaroa-adventure-centre

While doing your own thing is great , Akaroa is very isolated and maybe you should you go mountain biking with a group, or at least a guide.

I believe there are some fantastic tracks around there, which a guide would be able to show you. I was told there are many roads through the hills that are not shown on any maps...some private , but many are public ones that not many people know about.

• 5 weeks later...

Back on track now that I have some time on my hands. Thanks for the suggestion above. I have found the Akaroa Adventure Centre offers a drive to the top of the volcano rim where you are given a mountain bike that you hire for full or half day to ride back to Akaroa. I have emailed them and will be interested in taking up this tour option although it is mainly self guided but I am aiming to join a group if others are doing it from the two ships that will be in when I am there.

Just a quick question where is the Volcano Rim so that I can look it up on Google Earth and get an idea of where I will be riding from should I take up this weather dependant tour.

Archived