propulsion problem on caribbean princess

rumgal

we came off of caribbean princess on saturday. she experienced some propulsion issues en route to curacao as well as the evening before arrival in fll.....any updates on what the issue is and when it is due to be fixed.....other than not having full power, does it cause any issues/

This is nothing new for the CB. She has a history of this type of problem.

She had propulsion / generator issues when we sailed back in July 2008. Although it necessitated a change in our itinerary, it didn't affect our enjoyment.

Lew

This is nothing new for the CB. She has a history of this type of problem.

She had propulsion / generator issues when we sailed back in July 2008. Although it necessitated a change in our itinerary, it didn't affect our enjoyment.

Lew

Yup, poor CB seems to have had more than her share of propulsion issues. We had the same problem in June 2008, and I believe she's experienced propulsion issues at least twice since that time.

I am not happy to hear of CB's problem. I have finally been able to talk my sister into joining us on her first time cruise. She chose not to join CC for fear that she would hear too many negatives and problems. I was hoping that they had fixed the problem.

we came off of caribbean princess on saturday. she experienced some propulsion issues en route to curacao as well as the evening before arrival in fll.....any updates on what the issue is and when it is due to be fixed.....other than not having full power, does it cause any issues/

I didn't hear the captain mention the propulsion problems. I just heard that they had some technical issues that caused us to sail at reduced speed during the night getting to Curacao.

Didn't he say that was fixed?

I don't know what the technical issue was with picking up the pilot from the pilot boat though.

I didn't hear every word of every announcement so i might have missed it.

Bill

Ugh. We only experienced delayed departures and arrivals on our CB cruise due to propulsion issues. A month or so after our sailing she broke down completely and left cruisers stranded in San Juan on a floating hotel that never left the pier. The cruise after that one was cancelled as well.

They need to stop repairing her with chewing gum and duct tape and put her in dry dock already!

I am not happy to hear of CB's problem. I have finally been able to talk my sister into joining us on her first time cruise. She chose not to join CC for fear that she would hear too many negatives and problems. I was hoping that they had fixed the problem.

Maybe don't schedule an excursion in Curacao to avoid any disappointment. Other than arriving late in Curacao, it seems to have no impact on the cruise.

Maybe don't schedule an excursion in Curacao to avoid any disappointment. Other than arriving late in Curacao, it seems to have no impact on the cruise.

It get's to Curacao late even when it's on time.(1pm)

Aquarium and the synagogue closes at 5pm. Shopping closes at 6:30pm.

we got there at about 2:15pm to 2:30pm and just did a tour of the island with I think it was Paradise Tours .

We still had a relaxing day albeit a bit rushed, no fault of the tour company.

Bill

As others have posted, the Caribbean Princess was out of service for several weeks this past spring to repair the propulsion problem.

We were on the Transatlantic crossing shortly after the fix and everything functioned normally. Agree that a dry dock may be necessary for a long term fix...lol at the no more duct tape comment.

Also on that cruise. Never saw ship do more than 18 knots. Ship was late to Dublin.

I still thought CB had engine problems. We did Canada in Sept. on CB. Also had the

Oct.31st Repo booked, but we couldn't get to ship. So , we do like CB.

I am concerned reading about propulsion issues on this ship after our last experience. We were on the trip last March when we went from San Juan to St Maarten arriving 4 hours late. We spent two days there and then returned to San Juan for the remainder of the week. As compensation we received a full refund of the cruise fare plus an additional 25% as a future booking credit. We used the future booking credit toward the January 12th trip on the same ship! The last thing we want to hear is the ship still has propulsion issues.

We used the future booking credit toward the January 12th trip on the same ship! The last thing we want to hear is the ship still has propulsion issues.

Hello railman and welcome to Cruise Critic,

At this point look forward to a fantastic cruise. You'll likely experience no problems at all.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

Archived