Whats wrong with galveston?

Beachin2

...I personally would not fly to Houston and use Galveston. (1) There is no cheap way to get from the airport to Galveston, unless you are a group and charter Supershuttle. (2) Galveston is a mess for embarkation and disembarkation (which this thread is addressing). (3) Fog can cause you to miss your return flight. We use Galveston because we can drive easily from Dallas. We do have people flying in for our March 31 cruise, but they are flying in on Saturday (as always, fly in the day before the cruise), and flying home Monday so fog delays should not be an issue. (I suppose fog could last until Monday -- I hope not!) In fact, we had a long fog delay getting off the ship on Easter Sunday, April 4, 2010, and it was good those flying in our group were not leaving until Monday.

Good summary of the challenges facing the fly-in cruiser to Galveston. I'd also add that many times the hotels on the island require a 2 night stay for the weekend.

Been cruising from Galveston since Royal came to town. Got off Dec 2, called at 8:15am, in my truck at 8:45.

Had one time fog delay....4 hours.

Had one nightmare boarding day that started this past cruise...turned out it was purely escalators....life happens.

Will be stop sailing Galveston? NO!

As for the island, it is a fun, funky, great weekend destination, we always get to the Island on a Friday so we cna enjoy, the food and the folks.

A quote from a cc gulf coast departures thread

on Galveston

Just returned from Galveston yesterday (Carnival Magic). We were in debarkation group 7. We were off the ship by 9:00 AM and used CCL's transportation back to the airport. The ONLY negative is that they wait to fill up the bus before heading to the airport. We waited almost an hour before we left the port. No big deal for us since our flight wasn't until 3:50 PM. If you use self-assist debarkation you can be off much earlier and catch an earlier bus. Hope this helps! Galveston has GREATLY improved their embarkation/debarkation! We were stunned how fast it went. We didn't even have to get a boarding group number on embarkation day. Best embarkation we've ever had! We were on the Lido deck eating lunch at 11:30 AM.

I don't know that it's Galveston specifically, or more the process Royal uses. I cruise both Royal and Carnival out of Galveston, and am off the Carnival ship and to my car in 15 minutes. Carnival uses what they call "self-assist" where you keep your bags and you are the first passengers off the ship. I always do this with Carnival and last week we were at our car by 8:05. We are cruising Mariner in two weeks and if it's anything like November 2011, we will be in line for 2 hours to get off that ship. Royal should emply self-assist for those who can do it, and that would really help in getting hundreds of people off the ship early and quickly. No hateful comments please, I am not bashing Royal.

As far as Bayport is concerned, I was checking google maps , and it appears pretty easy to drive to, and a little closer for those of us who drive to the port. Of course for now,it will be Princess and then NCL also, so who knows what Royal and CCL will do.I have heard also , that it takes quite a bit longer for a ship to get out to sea from Bayport, but do not know if this is accurate or not..

From looking at the map it's probably a couple of hours extra, give or take a bit. The good thing is that while Bayport is a part of the Port of Houston, it's well south of the main port area and much closer to the gulf.

I think once people see how easy Bayport is going to be to get to, it could just take off. It's about half the travel time and distance from there to both airports.

Hi, they do indeed use self assist..We did it in March on the Mariner , and it seemed half of the ship had the same idea. It was pretty bad. I think the main problem is that everyone goes at once , regardless of what deck they are on.

I don't know that it's Galveston specifically, or more the process Royal uses. I cruise both Royal and Carnival out of Galveston, and am off the Carnival ship and to my car in 15 minutes. Carnival uses what they call "self-assist" where you keep your bags and you are the first passengers off the ship. I always do this with Carnival and last week we were at our car by 8:05. We are cruising Mariner in two weeks and if it's anything like November 2011, we will be in line for 2 hours to get off that ship. Royal should emply self-assist for those who can do it, and that would really help in getting hundreds of people off the ship early and quickly. No hateful comments please, I am not bashing Royal.

Hi, they do indeed use self assist..We did it in March on the Mariner , and it seemed half of the ship had the same idea. It was pretty bad. I think the main problem is that everyone goes at once , regardless of what deck they are on.

I'll be hopeful it goes well. People getting off when they're not called yet, I guess is just something we rule-followers have to live with. Didn't you love Carnival Magic?

We did like the Magic , other than 2 things. We were on the inaugural from Galveston, had My Time dining , and the wait was long on about 3 nights, and the comedy club was very hard to get a seat for..

I'll be hopeful it goes well. People getting off when they're not called yet, I guess is just something we rule-followers have to live with. Didn't you love Carnival Magic?

quote :(I have a t-shirt that says: Welcome to Texas - Now go home!)

Dont worry I only come here under duress, my brother-In-Law lives in Dallas and am forced to visit once a year. LOL

The t-shirt was a gag gift...my husband found it at some little shop in Fredericksburg. I used to tease him about getting here as fast as he could.

I was on the Dec 16-23 cruise.

Disembarkation, atleast for self assist went smoothly(for me anyways).

The ship cleared customs way before 7:45 and they didn't seem to announce it or announce self assist could get off before the scheduled time. So there was no mob of people clogging hallways/elevators, like when they had self assist meet at the Savoy. They also actually had staff directing people/traffic flow, which again was different from last year when I was on mariner.

I left the EzCruise parking lot at around 8am and I was no where near the front of the self assist line.

As for embarkation. It seemed to be pretty smooth but we didn't try to get on board until official boarding time at 1:30pm.

I was on the Dec 16-23 cruise.

Disembarkation, atleast for self assist went smoothly(for me anyways).

The ship cleared customs way before 7:45 and they didn't seem to announce it or announce self assist could get off before the scheduled time. So there was no mob of people clogging hallways/elevators, like when they had self assist meet at the Savoy. They also actually had staff directing people/traffic flow, which again was different from last year when I was on mariner.

I left the EzCruise parking lot at around 8am and I was no where near the front of the self assist line.

As for embarkation. It seemed to be pretty smooth but we didn't try to get on board until official boarding time at 1:30pm.

Thanks for the post. The information is much appreciated.

We are going on the January 20-27 on the Mariner. Someone is picking us up at the port to drive us to the airport. What time should we ask her to show up. Our flight is not until 10 pm so we aren't really in a rush to get to the airport and we also don't want her to have to wait forever for us to get threw to her.

Early disembarkment is openly provided for

in policies, rules and procecedures

and acceptable by RCL

Royal Carribean Website

Customer Support

faq3.png

Queston

33: When and how can I disembark?

Answer

Once the ship has received proper clearance from the port,

disembarkation can begin.

Guests are disembarked at different times and schedules

per the colour of the luggage tags provided by the ship.

Early disembarkation needs should be discussed at the time of booking and reconfirmed onboard the ship.

The Cruise Director will give detailed instructions

about clearing customs and immigration

during the departure announcement on the last day of the cruise.

We are going on the January 20-27 on the Mariner. Someone is picking us up at the port to drive us to the airport. What time should we ask her to show up. Our flight is not until 10 pm so we aren't really in a rush to get to the airport and we also don't want her to have to wait forever for us to get threw to her.

Probably around 10:30am, but best bet is for her to wait and get a phone call from you when you have cleared customs. Unfortunately you cannot use your cell phone in the luggage/customs area -- You'll have to clear customs and go outside to call. If you are doing the self-assist (carrying your bags instead of putting your bags in the hall the night before), you clear customs by 8am, as another poster said. There are some things beyond control of the ship. USA immigration has to approve ("clear") the ship before anyone can disembark. Sometimes there have been delays. And as we've said, there can be fog delays. Your ride cannot wait at the pier until you finally clear customs -- The officials will ask her to move on, and rightfully so as there is not enough space for everyone to wait for their passengers. The phone call is probably the best option. Have you friend hang at at McDonalds or similar spot and wait for your phone call you'll make when you clear customs. Then she can drive and pick you up (fighting the traffic at the pier).

Interesting that the Mickey ship uses the same terminal and same customs agents yet there never seems to be a problem embarking or disembarking their guest. Done many cruises from galveston and I will say Carnival does seem to flow better. Disembarking on RCCL has never been fast and if there is fog it will be painfully slow.

But after experiencing RCCL Oasis and walking off the ship at 6:30am to make a 9:00 flight I was spoiled. Barely even stopped at the customs desk. Left cabin and at the airport in under 30 minutes. I don't know if I was ever even out of the luggage area in 30 minutes in galveston, but I will deal with it because the I prefer to drive to a port the fly.

Just wish we could get an RCCL ship in the summer for Texas.

Archived