Going to give Princess a try

kangforpres

We are 2 loyal HAL customers who are going to give Princess a try in Fall 2013. All the concerns Princess cruises have are similiar themes to what HAL cruisers say about HAL. Cut backs everywhere you turn, new fees for things that use to be standard and just a sense that the line dosen't always care that much about the product.

Is there anything that is can't miss or must do/see on the Grand Princess?

We are 2 loyal HAL customers who are going to give Princess a try in Fall 2013. All the concerns Princess cruises have are similiar themes to what HAL cruisers say about HAL. Cut backs everywhere you turn, new fees for things that use to be standard and just a sense that the line dosen't always care that much about the product.

We are loyal Princess cruisers who would never sail on Grand ever again!

We are loyal Princess cruisers who would never sail on Grand ever again!

Hi johnmik1,

Could you please elaborate a little about the reasons for you not ever wanting to go on the Grand again?

I was on the Grand about 3 years ago and I found it to be very similar to the Caribbean and the Crown.

Thanks,

-Gordon

I cruised Europe with the Ruby. I like trying different lines and Princess is my favorite. The Ruby is elegant, great service & I was able to bring wine on board from every port. And as mentioned the pizza of the day on deck:) Joe

I was on the Grand twice last winter. It is now my favorite of the Princess grand class ships.

Don't miss the International cafe and the al fresco entertainment in the atrium. Try the area outside the back of One5. It's a lovely place if you like shade. (I do). Keep in mind that the smokers will use the port side and non-smokers on the starboard side.

If you used to liked going to the drive-in movies make sure you go at least once to the evening movie at MUTS (Movies Under The Stars). Don't forget to bring your drink of choice and look for the free bags of popcorn. It's also a nice evening at MUTS if you skip dinner in the MDR and bring your dinner from the buffet to the movie with you. Get there early to get the best seats. Blankets provided.

There is more evening entertainment on Princess. If you like that sort of thing there are lots of options. I always enjoy the evenings on Princess. Having said that, I did enjoy the string quartet that played every night on our HAL cruise. You won't get that option very often on Princess.

Have a great time!

If you like HAL, chances are you'll like Princess. There are some differences that may or may not be to your liking but as a 3-star Mariner and Elite on Princess, I cruise for the itinerary and to just be on a ship. The little things don't affect my choice of cruise line.

Overall, I have had more consistently good service on Princess, both stewards and waitstaff. But a lot can depend on your personal experience.

One big difference on Princess is that the buffet is mostly self-serve. It's also open continuously from early in the morning until 11pm. It doesn't close or shut down between breakfast, lunch and dinner.

HAL has nothing like the International Cafe which is open 24/7. Mornings, there are pastries, muffins, donuts, breakfast sandwich, etc. At lunch and the rest of the day, there are cookies, pastries, salads, paninis, and sandwiches. The chicken Waldorf salad is awesome. The prawn and Greek salads are also terrific. No charge, you do not have to order coffee or anything.

Princess pizza and ice cream is much better than HAL's. It's subjective so form your own opinion. :) The pizza and grill is separate from the buffet and nearer to the pool.

IMHO, the Princess entertainers are better than on HAL. Lounges and bars on Princess are far more active with more entertainment options during the evening.

Don't get me wrong, I like HAL and while I don't have a cruise booked right now, chances are I will in the future.

We are aboard this weekend and I will try and keep up a live thread to post my impressions as we cruise. I have not been on Princess since 1995 and most recent ocean cruises (none for the past 6 years) have been on HAL, X and RCI. Looking forward to seeing what Grand Princess has to offer.

I haven't been on the Grand, but I will echo another poster's praise for the Terrace area in the aft. My DH and I spent most of our time there when we cruised on the CB. It is pleasant and quiet at breakfast time. The pool is adults only and you can swim a few strokes across it. There is a nice bleacher-type (but more elegant) seating area near the pool. The deck above the pool has bar-type seating in a horseshoe shape overlooking the pool - a fun place to enjoy a snack and watch the wake. Just an all-around pleasant space throughout the day.

Hi johnmik1,

Could you please elaborate a little about the reasons for you not ever wanting to go on the Grand again?

I was on the Grand about 3 years ago and I found it to be very similar to the Caribbean and the Crown.

Thanks,

-Gordon

We sailed on the Grand last year prior to the dry dock and immediately after the dry dock in the same cabin.The cabin was in horrible shape prior to the refit and we were assured that the issues(balcony divider falling over,stained tub and toilet,balcony door would not lock,tiles on the bathroom floor that were moldy and unattached,carpet ripped away from the wall)would be addressed,and they were not.Since that time there have been numerous complaints on Cruise Critic of plumbing that does not function properly.They also removed the balcony matting which,when wet,creates a mud puddle and when dry,and in the sun, it is to hot to stand on in bare feet.The Grand is tired and we would rather sail on one of the newer ship without the issues.We are on Ruby 12/30,Emerald 1/6 and the new Royal 10/9 and they are the 3 newest ships.We would also sail on the older ships,just not the Grand.JMHO!

We sailed on the Grand last year prior to the dry dock and immediately after the dry dock in the same cabin.The cabin was in horrible shape prior to the refit and we were assured that the issues(balcony divider falling over,stained tub and toilet,balcony door would not lock,tiles on the bathroom floor that were moldy and unattached,carpet ripped away from the wall)would be addressed,and they were not.Since that time there have been numerous complaints on Cruise Critic of plumbing that does not function properly.They also removed the balcony matting which,when wet,creates a mud puddle and when dry,and in the sun, it is to hot to stand on in bare feet.The Grand is tired and we would rather sail on one of the newer ship without the issues.We are on Ruby 12/30,Emerald 1/6 and the new Royal 10/9 and they are the 3 newest ships.We would also sail on the older ships,just not the Grand.JMHO!

I now understand your dislike of the Grand. From your description of the ship the condition sounds totally disgraceful.

If you like noise you will enjoy Princess

We have been on many HAl cruises and last year decided to try Princess. We loved it. Much more to do on Princess especially in the evening. In my opinion all the cruise lines that we have been on have decreased the quality of the food in the dining room. Why would anyone go to a specialty restaurant and pay extra if the dining room is just as good? At least that is my take on it.

Must admit..we are loyal and happy Princess cruisers. Noise?? We were on the HAL Noordam a year ago. The MDR is over the engine area, very noisy, but the rest of the ship..no noise..Everyone was sleeping wherever we went. If no noise is your interest..stick with HAL. It was the most quiet and boring cruise we have ever taken. We went back to Princess for the 14th time and will continue our cruising on Princess.