Cruiser on Vision - his luggage on Liberty .... how could this happen ?

wieslaw

wieslaw and I discussed it a couple of times, the fact that the Liberty was on the other side of the port, someone really had to go out of their way do put his luggage on the liberty. I doubt that it was RC's mistake, and I wonder if they do report the luggage problems to the port authority.

ON a side note, our luggage which had survive trips to Peru etc. came back with multiple new injuries.

PS, I do not tip much but I do tip. The only issue we incurred was in Port Everglades where my wife put some cheap jewelry in an out side pocket at the last moment, and it was not there when luggage came to our cabin. We could never understand how anyone had the time. space, or privacy to look in pockets, unless it was coordinated.

This reinforces my notion that there are only two kinds of luggage: 1) carry-on, and 2) lost.

I agree. Anytime you check luggage or even let it out of your sight, do not expect to ever see it again.

Passports, money, jewelry, medicine, camera equipment and anything of value is carried on, and NEVER out of sight.

Does seem like a strange occurrence.

But I always tip the porter, and kind of hang around and watch as they put the luggage on the cart. Especially in Ft. Lauderdale. The first time we went out of Ft. Lauderdale, I tipped a porter a buck a bag; and he gave me an ice-cold stare. I learned that was not enough really quickly, and now I tip more.

Call me paranoid, but after reading this, I suppose the unthinkable does happen.

However, the foul-up almost certainly had to happen inside of the luggage loading area. Almost kind of makes you wonder if someone on the Liberty had their luggage misplaced (perhaps it was off loaded from the shuttle trailer at the Vision by mistake), and someone thought the luggage that ended up on the Liberty was that luggage.

Pure speculation, but how many alternatives could there be?

I suppose it is another reason to buy unique colors for your luggage. I have even seen someone spray paint their luggage some gawd-awful colors. But I bet their luggage never suffered from mistaken identity.

wieslaw and I discussed it a couple of times, the fact that the Liberty was on the other side of the port, someone really had to go out of their way do put his luggage on the liberty. I doubt that it was RC's mistake, and I wonder if they do report the luggage problems to the port authority.

PS, I do not tip much but I do tip. .........

Hi,

I do remember discussing this with you a couple of times and I agree with your theory " someone really had to go out of their way do put his luggage on the liberty. " but I am still puzzled :

would that someone be so angry about something that would want to make all the extra steps and all the extra effort. The Liberty was at terminal 2 and that someone would have to move that luggage to that terminal

....... I am sorry to 'say that' .... but I did not see those guys do anything that required any extra effort. In the morning when I was there, there was only one person / luggage porter/ handler and he was mostly interested in counting the money ....... then another one showed up, and he was not moving too quickly. I put my 2 bags very close to the cart and gave him the tip ....... I did not believe that he deserved that tip ...... but I wanted to see the bags again.

I do not tip the person at the airline counter when they move my bag from the scale to the belt ( sometimes I want to ) , I do not tip the person that puts my bag on the plane ( I only see them from the plane's window) ...... but I always tip the guys at the port ......

My luggage went on a Princess cruise once, we were on MSC Opera from FLL. There was more than 1 drop off from the charter bus. Unless we were due to get off at that point, we were not allowed off. Well, our luggage got unloaded at point 1, the Princess one. Without turning this into a saga, we got reunited with our luggage when we disembarked. Princess eventually found ours and shipped them to a holding area back at MSC.

People on busses or shuttles need to not take proper luggage handling for granted. I'm paranoid about checking now.

So, for those who post and say it's never happened, good for you. But, it might.

Another tip, cross pack items in suitcases in case one doesn't show up.

Archived