Main Dining Room or specialty?

stacijake

New to board and going on our first cruise in 28 days on the Sky! Can anyone tell me the type of food served in the main dining or a place to find a menu? I am guessing MDR doesn't serve lobster and steak so we should probably check out a specialty dining room?

Not that thats what we need to eat but thinking of 1 night or is that a waste of money? Thank you for your time and opinions!

The MDRs are just fine, and do have a "lobster night" one night, usually the first night. The lobsters have improved recently but aren't super quality items. However, you can have all you want. Otherwise, explore and enjoy all the ship has to offer. You might want to try a speciality restaurant one night. I recommend Le Bistro for a first try. There is no problem making a speciality restaurant reservation the morning of the evening you wish to dine in one. The MDRs do rotate the menu each night with some of the items and also have a set menu available each evening. And the buffet is just fine with a large variety of choices. Just try everything. You'll find plenty you will like.

Yes the MDR serves lobster, usually on the first night. But be aware it is not east coast lobster. The also have steak on their available daily side of the menu, I believe it is a NY strip. Some have found it not cooked as desired, I had no issue with it at all. If it's not cooked to your satisfaction - send it back.

Cagneys serves surf and turf, but it is an extra $10 for lobster over the initial cover charge. Which I thoroughly enjoyed as a special night out.

Also, the Main Dining Room menus are posted outside the entry to the dining room early each day so that you can decide if you wish to dine there that evening or not. The menus always have a few items that are served every evening (steak, chicken, etc.). Then there are a few items that are specific to that evening and may not be offered again in the MDR for that cruise. The specialty restaurant menus are also available in a couple different locations around the ship as well at the restaurant entry itself. So you can browse them and decide whether to go there or not. Generally, the specialty restaurant menus don't change throughout the week. We never decide where to eat more than a few hours before we want to eat -- we go wherever we feel like at the time.

Yes the MDR serves lobster, usually on the first night. But be aware it is not east coast lobster. The also have steak on their available daily side of the menu, I believe it is a NY strip. Some have found it not cooked as desired, I had no issue with it at all. If it's not cooked to your satisfaction - send it back.

Cagneys serves surf and turf, but it is an extra $10 for lobster over the initial cover charge. Which I thoroughly enjoyed as a special night out.

What does that mean "Be aware it is not east coast lobster?"

It is the same kind of lobster tails served at Cagney's?

Or is it like a Bahamian lobster - a crayfish?

th_lobster.jpg

Thanks Valleyvillage I am not a lobster connoisseur :D. And because I love NCL's sailaway BBQ, I've always missed lobster night in the MDR. My next cruise I plan to double eat the first night's dinner just so I can see what all of hubba balloo about the MDR lobster is all about. ;)

Thanks Valleyvillage I am not a lobster connoisseur :D. And because I love NCL's sailaway BBQ, I've always missed lobster night in the MDR. My next cruise I plan to double eat the first night's dinner just so I can see what all of hubba balloo about the MDR lobster is all about. ;)

I'm with you. I eat so much when we go aboard...usually early...that I'm not really that hungry by dinner time.

Archived