Thistle Charing Cross to Theatre - Mousetrap

Hello,

I only have one night in London and was told I should try to check out the play Moustrap. I am staying at Thistle Charing Cross Strand and was wondering how far it would be to get to the theatre and how to go about getting there? I believe our hotel is right on the tube.

Or does anyone else have a better idea on how to spend Friday night in London?

Thanks

I cannot comment on what would be a better way to spend a Friday night but it would take about 10/15 minutes to walk to the Theatre.

The play was first performed in London in November 1952 and has had a continuous run since then. It is an old-fashioned Agatha Christie Whodunnit. All the audience are asked not to reveal the ending but it is not hard to guess if you are a fan of that genre.

There is a half price ticket booth in Leicester Square which sells seats for that evening's performance. They will give you a choice of shows.

Cinnamon

Hi Lynn,

We stayed at the TCC May 15 - 17. Loved this hotel, could not ask for a better location. You are truley in the center of things. Infact just outside the hotel there is a marker for the origninal center of London. Just outside the front dor and to your left is the TCC station. Great for getting around, bus stop infront of the hotel. You are a short walk to Covent Gardens. Do not know about the show but saw many theaters near by. Have a great time!

I cannot comment on what would be a better way to spend a Friday night but it would take about 10/15 minutes to walk to the Theatre.
I agree about the walk to the theatre - it's a very easy stroll from that hotel.

But almost anything would be a better way to spend Friday night in London, IMHO. I saw the play once, and thought it was absolutely diabolically bad.

If you are particularly interested in theatre, this is the page for the half price ticket booths already referred to. The one in Leicester Square is the main outlet.

Otherwise, what else might you be interested in?

Thank you all for your thoughts and links. Maybe there is a better show to go to than Moustrap? I don't know what else I would want to do as I have such limited time. My flight gets in at 3:00 p.m and only have that one night.

The exchange rate is making it tough for shopping one of my favorite hobbies!!! :)

Is there something else in the area that might be fun and with-in walking distance? Maybe even a fun place to eat or have a drink? I wish I had more time but booked the cruise with under 2 weeks to plan and not a single extra day to spend in London unfortunately!!

Thank you all for your thoughts and links. Maybe there is a better show to go to than Moustrap?
Have you seen either Mamma Mia or the Lion King? If not, see if you can get tickets for one of them. Midweek shows are not too bad for availability if you book in advance; the weekend performances are the ones that are difficult to get tickets for. Both of the relevant theatres are walkable from your hotel - in fact, most central London theatres are walkable from your hotel, quite frankly.

Neither can be counted as high art, but both are pretty good fun, particularly if you may still be tired from the travelling.

Hi Logie,

let me jump in as somebody who really enjoyed the Mousetrap. As mentioned here, it is an old-fashioned Agatha Christie Whodunnit. And I would read this "old-fashioned" very positive: no glitz, but a real play, actors, a plot.

Especially if you come from Las Vegas you might easily be able to see shows, musicals or similiar of high professionaltiy at home. Thus it might be nice to see something different, traditional (succesfully running for more than fifty years) British.

Decisions, decisions!! But sounds like the good news is that it is walkable so I may just start walking and see what I find. Sounds like it is all good. :0

Mamma Mia is a great show, I have seen the Vegas production a few times now and it is fun. Lion King would be nice too, it is very popular.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it is still playing but if "Anything Goes" is still on I highly recommend the show. It's a Trevor Nunn revival, originally at the National Theatre. When I was there last summer it had moved to the Drury Lane, but it may be at another theatre by now. It has almost every great Cole Porter tune you can think of and will definitely keep you awake after your long flight. The songs include "Anything Goes," "You're the Top" and "Blow Gabriel Blow," among many others. It's a terrific production of a classic 30's musical.

The Mousetrap is never available at the TKTS halfprice booth in Leicester Square.

But if you like theater, most London theaters on Friday usually do not have traditional matinees, but do have early and late evening performances.

We've gone to a 5 p.m. and then another at 8 or 8:30 p.m. on some Fridays.

If you want tickets make sure you use the official TKTS booth, there are a lot of ripoff imitators nearby. And if you are a senior you can get reduced prices at the theater boxoffice, usually an hour or so before the performance.

London's the best theater city in the world.

You are in a terrific location, but take care if you buy tickets for anything ahead of time. Although you should make it to the theatre in time, if you aren't getting into London until the afternoon, customs and the travel time into town can easily slow you down.

Like the others said also, check out the TKTS booth for great prices, and read what it playing to determinef what you might like.

We have seen Lion King, Mama Mia and Les Miz in London and loved them all, but we also have seen a lot of non musicals that aren't there anymore and loved them just as much. Check things out before yo go.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I only have one night in London and was told I should try to check out the play Moustrap. I am staying at Thistle Charing Cross Strand and was wondering how far it would be to get to the theatre and how to go about getting there? I believe our hotel is right on the tube.

Or does anyone else have a better idea on how to spend Friday night in London?

Thanks

Hi logie,if you do not land untill 3.00pm and you take a while coming through immigration,which at the moment you will if you do not have a european passport then you had better pick a show that starts later because you will be tight for time.

Might I suggest the Rat Pack which is on at the Savoy Theatre.I went to see it two weeks ago and it was very good.The Theatre is three minutes walk from your Hotel and is also situated in the Strand.The performance starts at 8.00pm

Regards

John

Archived