How does Azamara compare to Oceania?

AD607

We've done two cruises on Oceania, both on R ships. We've enjoyed the excellent food, wonderful service, casual atmosphere, and the interesting people. We're now considering a cruise on Azamara, which appears to be very similar to Oceania. We'd be interested in hearing from those who have cruised both lines. Thanks.

There are many existing threads on this topic both on the Azamara boards and the O boards. You might do a search in addition to getting new information.

I booked two Azamara cruises because I prefer the R ships and from what I have heard, Azamara has really upped its game. In the beginning, Azamara was a poor second to Oceania. I would not have considered it. But recently the reviews have been stellar and they actually outranked Oceania on one list -- cannot recall which one.

Unfortunately, Azamara has just changed its philosophy a bit to be more inclusive and now includes medium tier spirits and an "Azamazing Event." In doing so they raised their prices substantially -- way more than these additional amenities warrant. I am not happy with the changes (nor are many Azamara cruisers) and I doubt I will book more Azamara cruises at the new price point since I do not want the alcohol and I would never attend an event with a shipload of cruisers.

Azamara regulars are devoted to the cruise line to the point of fanaticism in some instances. LOLOL

When you check the existing threads you will find many O cruisers who also enjoy Azamara. However, most of the Azamara cruisers think Azamara is WAY better than Oceania. They base this largely on the crew and the officers who apparently interact a great deal with the passengers.

Be sure to post your question on the Azamara boards as well. I will be following the discussion with great interest.

but not on AZ since they changed their price structure to reflect the more inclusive offers.

Prior to that...we sailed on them several times...and thought that AZ was comparable to O....at that point we had sailed only on the R ships on both lines.

Since then we have been on Marina 3 times...and just love that class of ship...that does NOT mean we won't go back to AZ or the O smaller ships...

I think that AZ has many interesting ports of calls...but TBH...we do mostly TA's on these lines...so not sure that would come into play with your plans.

AZ...in the near past...have been VERY welcoming to CC members...helping us host M&G's...with everyone from the Captain on down at the events...with lovely food and spirits...and a real interest in CC.

On the last TA I just finished in Rio on 12/10...we did have an interest in at least marking off an area in Horizons..and the GM did attend....and he did help me, after a remark on the mid cruise card, arrange and sponsor a CC luncheon...a great event and much appreciated.

I would book either line...if you have some ranking on Celebrity that helps with AZ...if you like the R ships...I think it can be a toss up...if you like the M class on O...then you have 2 choices!!! Hope this helps!!! LuAnn

I haven't been on Azamara, but after reviewing their brochure on European cruises, I decided that I would have to consider the cost of things before I "jumped ship" from Oceania. It appears that Azamara charges for a good number of things that Oceania does not - for example $25 for a dinner in a specialty restaurant. Also, their prices don't include government taxes and other things that Oceania's include.

Obviously, there are a lot of other things to consider besides cost (itineraries, decor, service, food, passenger demographics, etc.) but I just thought I'd mention the things that popped out to ME from reading their brochure. I DO like their one free event per cruise (but be sure to cancel in advance if you're not going, or you'll be charged!!), and one overnight per cruise - those are new, I believe, and could be great or could be not so great. (I personally love overnights in a port, but only if I don't have to give up being able to see another port to get that overnight!)

They do include gratuities (I know many of us get them from our TAs) and wine with lunch and dinner -- and now spirits as well. I think it's a wash in terms of $$.

It's the itinerary that is the first consideration.

I agree - itinerary is most important! I also agree with you - not sure if the big, free event is worth higher prices, and since I don't drink, and I get the gratuities from my travel agent, those things aren't of much value to me unless the price of the whole cruise, including air fare, is comparable to Oceania's! I DO wonder what most people think of the new Azamazing events, alcohol, etc. and whether the changes will be well received!

I haven't sailed on Azamara although we've checked it out several times ... the itineraries and prices didn't lure us away from Oceania. I don't mean by that statement to try to dissuade anyone from doing an Azamara cruise.

But one thing I am aware of is that Azamara took two of the "R" ships that did not have PH cabins on Deck 8. My understanding is that they converted half the cabins on Deck 8 to something approaching the PH cabin on Oceania's "R" ships, but I have never been able to figure out exactly how they compare.

This wouldn't matter to people who are opting for lower cabins, but it would to anyone seeking to equal the Oceania PH experience on the "R" ships.

Any comments from you veterans? I'd like to know the answer!

Mura

We loved our 35 days onboard Azamara the crew is stellar.

The main difference I have experience is the treatment from shoreside.

Azamara is just inept, lacking in basic customer service skills

Oceania has been a pleasure to work with.

I personally want to commend Peter G. in reservations for his 5 star service!!!!

I would love to try A but while there are overnights, many of the ports are ones I have been to before. The itineraries were not that compelling to me..

To each his own

I find many of the O itineraries high repetitive and because I consider largely only Regatta and Nautica my choices on O are now limited. I would be thrilled if Insignia rejoined the fleet, but I am guessing that's not gonna happen. The more we travel (and we travel a lot) the more difficult it is to find a cruise that interests us.

I find some of Azamara's itineraries unique. For example, we wanted to cruise to Croatia WITHOUT going back to Greece and Turkey and found that Azamara had a short cruise that does that just that. We are combining that short cruise with a return trip to Florence and a farm stay in Tuscany for a perfect vacation.

It is always itinerary that drives us and as much as I do not care for the newer O ships, if the itinerary hit the mark we would probably book O regardless of ship size.

We've done two cruises on Oceania, both on R ships. We've enjoyed the excellent food, wonderful service, casual atmosphere, and the interesting people. We're now considering a cruise on Azamara, which appears to be very similar to Oceania. We'd be interested in hearing from those who have cruised both lines. Thanks.
Based on our cruises on both lines, I think Oceania provides a slightly more upmarket experience than Azamara.

On the R class ships which they have in common, Oceania is superior in ship decor, public room furnishings, stateroom amenities, mattresses and linens. I'd also give O the nod for more varied menus, better quality ingredients and overall dining experience. Premium items such as caviar, foie gras and lobster are much more in evidence on O. The differences are even more apparent on the new O class ships Marina and Riviera, which are stunningly beautiful (inside that is, outside not so much) and offer additional features that A doesn't have. The new restaurants Red Ginger and Jacques are reason enough to book Oceania, while Terrace Cafe on the O class has redefined buffet dining for cruise ships. Service on O is polished and professional, if perhaps a little aloof and reserved.

Azamara wins hands-down for providing a more welcoming experience. The vibe is much more casual and carefree. A doesn't take itself quite as seriously as O does, thereby creating a more relaxed and warm environment. Officers, staff and crew are much more accessible on A and they genuinely want you to have the best cruise possible. It's hard not to be positively affected by their enthusiasm. Service on A is friendly and familiar, albeit less refined than on O.

Azamara has chosen to differentiate itself on destination immersion, but Oceania offers equally compelling port-intensive itineraries including overnight stays. Both A and O offer similar shore excursions in various ports but A offers a significant discount if you pre-book them before sailing. As of 2013, A will also offer a complimentary night excursion as part of the cruise fare. O excursions are obscenely over-priced. In our experience, I'd give the edge to O for quality of destination experts and guest lecturers.

Oceania covers most of the globe with its 4-ship fleet, which will grow to 5 ships in 2014 when Insignia rejoins the fleet. Azamara is limited in its itineraries by having only a 2-ship fleet. It can be challenging to find something unique in the A line-up.

And then there's the question of price/value. Be careful when doing comparisons. Oceania includes taxes and fees in their quoted fare, Azamara doesn't. A includes gratuities and wine/spirits, O doesn't. O includes specialty restaurants at no charge, A has a fee unless you're in a suite. O includes air from gateway airports, but you can get an air credit if you prefer to make your own arrangements. Over the years, the air credit has decreased while the air deviation fee has increased. A sometimes offers a discount off your cruise fare if you use their Choice Air portal to book your flights. If offered, this is an excellent incentive. Do the math to arrive at a comparable per diem for your chosen itinerary.

Bottom line, both Azamara and Oceania provide lovely cruise experiences. Which line you'll prefer will depend on what's most important to you. In my view, there's no bad choice between them.

Based on our cruises on both lines, I think Oceania provides a slightly more upmarket experience than Azamara....<snip>...Bottom line, both Azamara and Oceania provide lovely cruise experiences. Which line you'll prefer will depend on what's most important to you. In my view, there's no bad choice between them.

One of the most unbiased and informative reviews I've read about the two cruise lines, from a CC member has has cruised both with an open mind, and who, in my opinion, is always a dependable source.

I've not tried Azamara myself, but that's largely a matter of history. I started cruising with Oceania before Azamara existed and fell in love with the cruise line.

In the beginning, Azamara was reported to be a poor copy of Oceania and had to discount their rates significantly to attract any attention. I saw no reason to switch or even bother trying them.

With the advent of Management by Mr. Pimentel, formerly of Sea Dream Yacht Club, Azamara apparently rose a few notches and now receives many plus reviews. They started including things like gratuties and house wine with lunch and dinner, although they raised their prices accoprdingly thus producing little net gain. Mr. Del Rio was quoted at that time as saying, "At least they've stopped copyng us." I still saw no reason to look for an alternative to Oceania.

Now, with the advent of the "O" class ships, the planned return of Insgnia and the synergy created by exchange of staff and ideas with Regent Seven Seas, I still see no reason to try Azamara. But, I'd never think badly of someone who does.

....Bottom line, both Azamara and Oceania provide lovely cruise experiences. Which line you'll prefer will depend on what's most important to you. In my view, there's no bad choice between them.

I second the commendation for an excellent analysis and post. Well done Mighty Quinn!

Archived