Ushuaia - US$ cash or credit cards?

RMLincoln

Has anybody purchased tours at the Ushuaia kiosks near the pier by using credit cards? or US$ cash? Or do we need local currency? And if so, is there an ATM nearby? Thanks, m--

Using a credit card or pesos from an ATM is not the recommended way to go in Arg. There is a healthy black market for US cash paying 6.5 pesos for a US dollar. If you pay with cc or get pesos from an ATM you will get 4.9 pesos per US dollar (minus fees). Offer to pay any merchant in US cash and see what rate they will give. See if you can locate a travel agency or jeweler in port who will exchange your US cash for you at the black market rate (or close to it). For current rates , see http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

Didn't post the question, but thanks for the advice. I usually bring the equivalent of about $50 in local currency when I visit a country for a short time, for tips, small souvenirs, etc. Would you recommend doing that for Argentina, or will almost everyone accept $US?

Didn't post the question, but thanks for the advice. I usually bring the equivalent of about $50 in local currency when I visit a country for a short time, for tips, small souvenirs, etc. Would you recommend doing that for Argentina, or will almost everyone accept $US?

Not everyone will accept US cash, especially in Ushuaia, but if you make a larger purchase you ought to ask. Pay with credit card if they offer to give you the official rate for US cash - they are taking advantage.

Using a credit card or pesos from an ATM is not the recommended way to go in Arg. There is a healthy black market for US cash paying 6.5 pesos for a US dollar. If you pay with cc or get pesos from an ATM you will get 4.9 pesos per US dollar (minus fees). Offer to pay any merchant in US cash and see what rate they will give. See if you can locate a travel agency or jeweler in port who will exchange your US cash for you at the black market rate (or close to it). For current rates , see http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

Wow, this sounds different than I expected. Thanks for the heads-up. m--

• 3 weeks later...

Archived