First Time Cruiser looking for information about Sea Princess

Hi everyone

We are off for our first cruise:) and need some information about drink packages on the Sea Princess departing in February 2013. We have an 8yo travelling with us and have been told there is a soft drink package available. What does this cost and how does it work throughout the cruise.

We love our coffee but in reading the forums there is a common thread stating that its simply not that good. Are there options for us similar to the soft drink package to have some decent coffee?

The last area that needs clarification for us is the dining areas.

We have selected the 5.30pm sitting (traditional) and that covers the evening dining , but are confused about what happens at breakfast or lunch. Do we return to the traditional dining room for all meals during the cruise to the same table or have some meals at the horizon buffet or pizza bars?

Thanks any info would be appreciated

Didn't do the drink packages, but am sure someone will have info.

One of the MDR's (I think Rigoletto?) is open for breakfast, both are open for lunch. No bookings required- Horizon Court is popular for breakfast/lunch just because it's easier or quicker for some. The Grill is open for all those times. Cafe Corniche (pizza place) is open for lunch and dinner but the menu is limited to same menu all day: five pizzas, two desserts and 2 pasta, some breads. Quite yum though! We always got them to make up a garlic focaccia for us. Occasionally at night can be busy but I never had to line up. You can do any or all of these. Just because you have a sitting time doesn't mean you have to eat in the MDR.

Coffee at Explorer's Bar (deck 5 atrium) - I used to be a barista in Sydney so, yeah - the coffee on on board everywhere was a bit 'meh' for me. $3.50-$4.50, extras like soy are free. It wasn't undrinkable, mind- service was lovely but the coffee wasn't. I just drank the free coffee in Horizon Court (tasted like paint, but staved off the caffeine headache!) and grabbed a takeaway coffee in port instead- no dramas. Also drank lots of tea. There is another coffee machine+barista in Horizon Court, maybe they made better coffee!

Hi Ozfunnelweb,

We have been on two cruises on Sun Princess. The first time we just bought the Soda Package but found out a couple of hours later that you could have purchased the Ultimate Kids Soda Package for a little bit more money but you got mocktails, coffee and hot chocolate included. We tried paying the extra but was not allowed to do that. So the next time we bought the Ultimate Kids Soda Package. Unsure of the cost as it is charged $? for each day of your cruise and on our last cruise in January 2012 they only charged us for one package instead of three. Maybe it was around the $6 a day mark.

The Ultimate Soda Package covered soft drink, mocktails, coffees and hot chocolate.

We have a a teenage daughter, who enjoyed the Ultimate Kids Soda Package as she could keep getting mocktails and soft drink all day.

For my husband and I we also liked the Ultimate Soda Package as we had soft drinks, mocktails and coffee (hot chocolate for me) during the day. For dinner we would get a bottle of wine. Our cabin was on the Pursers level and it was great in the morning to wake up and go get a hot chocolate or also getting one on the way back to the cabin at night.

For the dining query. Breakfast and lunch are open sitting in the dining room and you just get seated with random passengers each time. That part is great as you get to meet different passengers.

When you leave the dining room after breakfast the menu is up on display for lunch. So at lunchtime we would go up to the Horizons Court and see what was on and then decide if we wanted to eat there or down in the restaurant (seeing which had the better food).

The pizzas were nice, but only ate there a couple of times. We would go there after being ashore and getting back in the afternoon. Our teenage daughter would go with her friends to the pizza place late at night for a second dinner and then maybe go to Horizons for a third dinner.

Kim

Hi ozfunnelweb, Merry Christmas! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We love our coffee but in reading the forums there is a common thread stating that its simply not that good. Are there options for us similar to the soft drink package to have some decent coffee?

I think the coffee on the ships and what people think about them really depends on the person and the sort of coffee they drink at home and the coffee on the ship. ( I don't drink coffee so I cant say what its like)

I would give the coffee a try and see what you think of it! (Go with an open mind!)

And yes if you find you don't like the coffee then there is a coffee card where you can get the fancy ones.

We have selected the 5.30pm sitting (traditional) and that covers the evening dining , but are confused about what happens at breakfast or lunch. Do we return to the traditional dining room for all meals during the cruise to the same table or have some meals at the horizon buffet or pizza bars?

No, you don't have to return to the traditional dining room for breakfast or lunch during the cruise!!,

You can have breakfast and lunch where every you like!! Like the horizon buffet for Breakfast or one of the dinner rooms if you wish (Just bear in mind it can be a bit slower in dinner rooms for Breakfast, which is fine for sea days or at the end of the cruise) and you can have lunch in the horizon buffet or dinner room or you could go to the grill and have hot dogs and burgers etc...

Hope this helps :)

If you have any more questions ask way, I am sure someone here will have an answer for you!

Hi everyone

We are off for our first cruise:) and need some information about drink packages on the Sea Princess departing in February 2013. We have an 8yo travelling with us and have been told there is a soft drink package available. What does this cost and how does it work throughout the cruise.

Thanks any info would be appreciated

Gooday "Spider"

Can't really give you too much help with the drinks packages...we have sailed on (sister ship) Sun Princess 3 times but always without children. I am told that the "soda" pacs are good value however. Specialty coffees are available at a number of places on board, so maybe you could just wing it with that. I am sure others will add their thoughts.

In regard to Dining, it will only be at night where you will be using your designated table assignement. At other times (Brekkie and lunch) its freestyle and up to you as to where or when you eat. The MDR is open but we prefer Horizon Court for brekkie(if not from room service on our balcony) and then during the day we often used the free grill (next deck up from Riviera) for hot dogs/hamburgers etc. Good view from there on all the going ons in the pool below. Otherwise the Horizon Court is ideal or even the pizza restaurant (extra $$$s however).

One thing you might also consider is the afternoon tea service in the MDR. Freestyle, but all very nice with silver service and white gloves...a touch of "posh"

You will enjoy the Sea Princess as your initiation to cruising

cheers

Didn't do the drink packages, but am sure someone will have info.

One of the MDR's (I think Rigoletto?) is open for breakfast, both are open for lunch. No bookings required- Horizon Court is popular for breakfast/lunch just because it's easier or quicker for some. The Grill is open for all those times. Cafe Corniche (pizza place) is open for lunch and dinner but the menu is limited to same menu all day: five pizzas, two desserts and 2 pasta, some breads. Quite yum though! We always got them to make up a garlic focaccia for us. Occasionally at night can be busy but I never had to line up. You can do any or all of these. Just because you have a sitting time doesn't mean you have to eat in the MDR.

Coffee at Explorer's Bar (deck 5 atrium) - I used to be a barista in Sydney so, yeah - the coffee on on board everywhere was a bit 'meh' for me. $3.50-$4.50, extras like soy are free. It wasn't undrinkable, mind- service was lovely but the coffee wasn't. I just drank the free coffee in Horizon Court (tasted like paint, but staved off the caffeine headache!) and grabbed a takeaway coffee in port instead- no dramas. Also drank lots of tea. There is another coffee machine+barista in Horizon Court, maybe they made better coffee!

i'd like to add that they only have one dining room open for lunch on deck 6 sea days only so and on port days you have to get lunch else where if you are staying onboard

We have just completed a cruise on Sea Princess.

Yes, you can buy a coffee card for $35 which gives you 15 'specialty' coffees (cappuccino, latte etc) at any of the outlets selling them - most or the bars. You can also obtain a free hot chocolate by showing your coffee card. I suggest that you just buy one card to start with and use it for both of you, as you can always buy another later in the cruise if you need to. Soda cards are also available but I can't give details as we did not use them.

Breakfast in the Traviatta dining Room on Deck 6 allows you a wider choice than in the Horizon Bistro and is not such a "bun fight" and you don't have any trouble in finding a table. The Dining Room breakfast is only available until 9.30am whereas the Horizon breakfast is on until about 1100am.

Enjoy your cruise - we did.

Archived