Galapagos question

Merriem

Hi Merriem

I think you we're on our Alaska cruise this year!

We too are looking at the Galapagos although we have nothing booked yet. I too am interested in this question.

Also, do the Celebrity prices include the price of the plane transfer from Quito to Baltra? It is very difficult to tell from the website.

It has been almost three years since we did this trip. My belief is that Celebrity runs a charter flight once a week from Quito, stopping at Guayaquil for crew, passengers and fuel and then on to Baltra.

The only way I would think you could stay on would be if you had the seven day package, which I recall does not include air. Then you could make your own arrangements.

Also as there did not appear to be any refueling facilities at Baltra, we were limited in the weight we could bring with us (~30 pounds). We were able to check our excess at the hotel in Quito, and pick it up on our return.

The experience was incredible and I am sure you will love it.

John

The Celebrity price does include airfare from Quito to Baltra. I would contact Celebrity and inquire about delaying your flight back to Quito after the cruise. I know there are hotels on one of the Islands and we also looked at staying, but were unable to at that time.
Following is based on my Dec 2009 Xpedition trip, plus subsequent readings. The airfare UIO-GPS-UIO is included on the 10 night package (which also includes 2 pre-nights and 1 post-night at JW Marriott in Quito). Celebrity also sells a 7 night cruise only [as well as a 13 night package which ends with Lima and Machu Picchu]. Air has almost always been by charter aircraft, so delayed return would be highly unlikely unless one stayed over precisely one week [and perhaps not available then].

Thom

Hi Merriem

I think you we're on our Alaska cruise this year!

We too are looking at the Galapagos although we have nothing booked yet. I too am interested in this question.

Also, do the Celebrity prices include the price of the plane transfer from Quito to Baltra? It is very difficult to tell from the website.

Hi, yes, if you do one of the 10 or 11 days, it includes everything. We were in Alaska in June. Small world. If you are thinking about going, don't put it off as they sell out very fast. It is a great trip

We did the 10 day last year. Best trip we have ever done. Celebrity does this trip flawlessly. Very organized. The stay pre cruise and post at Marriott is a 5 star hotel. First time once we booked a cruise we literally only spent $ 300. Everything except first evening meal is covered. We booked our own air so we did not arrive during the night. I was able to get cheaper rate by doing this plus arrived in evening instead of 2-3 am like others did.

There is a very long thread on cruise critic that is very helpful.

Do the 10 or 11 day it is worth the money.

Following is based on my Dec 2009 Xpedition trip, plus subsequent readings. The airfare UIO-GPS-UIO is included on the 10 night package (which also includes 2 pre-nights and 1 post-night at JW Marriott in Quito). Celebrity also sells a 7 night cruise only [as well as a 13 night package which ends with Lima and Machu Picchu]. Air has almost always been by charter aircraft, so delayed return would be highly unlikely unless one stayed over precisely one week [and perhaps not available then].

Thom

Yes, Thom you are correct airfare is included with the 10 and 13 night package. We used their charter to get there and was told we could get our own flight back at our own cost if we desired.

I would suggest you go ahead & book the 10 day or 11 day while you figure out your plans. They sell out quickly, and if you change your mind and want to add it later, you will pay much more for the package, or it won't be available at all. After you have your plans in place, before final payment, cancel the package and change it to just the 7 day cruise.

We booked our own airfare tp Quito, and Celebrity met us at the airport. They took us by bus to the Marriott. We did the 10 day package. Celebrity has it organized into a great trip. No worries whatsoever for you. Once we arrived at the Quito airport, we didn't have to handle our luggage again (except for our carry ons) until we returned to the Quito airport. It was worth the extra cost. The Marriott is beautiful. The food was good. All the bottled water you want is included and readily available. We felt the 10 day package was perfect and would do it again in a heartbeat!

The 10 day itinerary that includes the charter flight (was on either a 320 or 319 so a good sized plane) was the most cost effective and we would do that again but it is like a bus tour in some respects when not on the ship. The food on the land component was IMO so so - catering for 100 you can't expect choice or individually cooked to order. The Marriott is good but not of the same standard as others we have stayed in. Laundry is very expensive at the hotel - wait till on board as it is much cheaper (and included if you are in a suite).

As I said for the small extra cost doing the cruise tour is the most cost effective.

The difference between 7 day and 10 day is almost $1200 a person difference

Flight to Baltra is about $500 ,

so I think I will find my own flight there , get to Baltra a day early , but I have almost two to figure out the details

Any good links to find more info ?

There are no hotels in Baltra. From talking to the naturalists on the cruise you have to get to Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz island for the nearest hotel. But to that you need to take a bus to the ferry, ferry ride, bus. Just sounded like much too much work. I seem to remember them saying it took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

There are no hotels in Baltra. From talking to the naturalists on the cruise you have to get to Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz island for the nearest hotel. But to that you need to take a bus to the ferry, ferry ride, bus. Just sounded like much too much work. I seem to remember them saying it took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Thanks

Too bad you cannot get this info from Celebrity

Well, we will keep it as it stands. We also booked our own air on delta...got business class for $1300 each round trip. That was a deal. We will stay a few extra after the 11 day package is over...I booked this a year in advance, as they sure fill up fast. A great trip

Archived