Just back from 1st Cruise--Alaska

Hemmar

bardgal -

1 - Thank you for sharing your comments on the topic' date=' but I am afraid they are a little one-sided. I have a separate point of view here, and I am sure there are other cruisers who would tend to agree with my side as well......

2 - I think that people who have been on several cruises or who are unsure of eating at a fixed time/table every night do book the Diamond and the Sapphire for the 4 themed dining rooms. I know that the difference in dining on these ships contributed to my selection of the Diamond for my Mexico cruise in January. ......

3 - After my Diamond cruise I thought about which ship I might try next, and really it boils down to itinerary at this point. I can have a great time on any ship with any dining configuration and menu........

4 - Did you ever stop to think that maybe people considered the theme dining rooms and not having to pay a surcharge for a few perks in the dining room a bonus?

5 - People work hard for their vacation money.

6 - I'm sure that Princess set up the dining rooms so that they would not lose money without collecting a surcharge.

7 - I have a pretty significant restaurant background and the smaller, set specialty menus allow them to plan better for what foods will be ordered.

8 - Personal choice is about allowing people to decide what they want and when they want it. Obviously there were a few bugs in the system, and I applaud Princess for taking the bull by the horns and trying to make the cruising experience the best it can be for all passengers.

9 - Instead of turning around and playing Monday morning quarterback on Princess' decision, let's just take the message of these boards back to assisting new and experienced cruisers plan their vacations.[/quote']

GG -

1 - You're welcome. How are my comments one-sided? I don't think I took any "side", and I find your comment a little bit of an underhanded polite kind of mini-flame. I enjoyed the four themed rooms very much, but then I understand how "PC" dining works - obviously Princess had so many complaints they felt the need to change it. Simple observation of what happened, no "side". If anything, I'm sorry that it didn't work out, and I'm a little sad that more people couldn't figure it out.

2- I think the people who find anytime dining more important than their cruiseline will book NCL. However, I agree with you that the four themed dining rooms were a nice touch to look forward to, and a nice additional option from Princess, which is why I'm sure they offered it in the first place. The best thing about the 4 Anytime Dining™ rooms were the addition of numerous 2-tops.

3 - Precisely my point.

4 - Did I "ever stop to think" (that's a bit condesending) I "think" this added to the confusion, and caused numerous passengers with Traditional Dining to think they could dine in these "free" themed restaurants, even though the same menus were available in the main dining room. This is what was part of the problem - large numbers of empty seats in the waitlisted main dining room, long lines for the themed rooms which were designed for those with Anytime Dining™, and a lot of angry passengers.

5 - Of course.

6 - No restaurant plans to lose on food cost - outside of Vegas.

7 - Cruise lines have this down, no matter what the menu is. If this was simply a matter of "planning better" they would never have also offered the main menu in the themed rooms.

8 - "Personal Choice" is different from "Anytime Dining". Just as cruisediva said. Many passengers with Traditional Dining, think they can use the PC/Anytime Dining rooms, and the entire concept becomes chaotic if that happens. The four themed rooms only made his worse. The reason it works so well on NCL is because to my knowledge, there is no tradition "fixed" dining on their ships. Yes, it was great that Princess tried it, and as I said before, I'm sorry it didn't work.

9 - "Monday morning quarterbacking"???? Hardly. Anyone who has been on these boards for as long as some of us, have seen this coming since the Diamond was launched. I for one, am not suprised in the least.

And please stop being so patronizing, it's rude. We ALL try to help our fellow cruisers - we've tried to help people on this particular topic until our hair hurts and our eyes bleed, but it's not been enough to help save the dining situation on the Diamond and the Sapphire, which is very sad indeed.

:D

And please stop being so patronizing, it's rude. We ALL try to help our fellow cruisers - we've tried to help people on this particular topic until our hair hurts and our eyes bleed, but it's not been enough to help save the dining situation on the Diamond and the Sapphire, which is very sad indeed.

You know what? You can seem rude too. I for one was looking forward to PC, and I could care less what you and "the group" think!!! And don't hurt your hair, or pull your hair out, just pass by the post. You are acting very melodramatic!

You know what? You can seem rude too. I for one was looking forward to PC, and I could care less what you and "the group" think!!! And don't hurt your hair, or pull your hair out, just pass by the post. You are acting very melodramatic!
It’s unfortunate that we all just can’t debate the facts instead of having to throw personal insults around. It’s unfortunate that Princess has changed the way it offers Anytime Dining on Diamond Princess, but it’s a fact. It’s unfortunate that there were so many complaints about the way Anytime Dining was offered on Diamond Princess that the cruise line probably figured it needed to make changes. It’s unfortunate that this change makes potential Diamond passengers upset, but that’s the way it is...but there are alternatives. Diamond Princess has Horizon Court and Sterling Steakhouse and enough entrees on the menu to keep anyone happy with variety. Or, if one is looking for a cruise line with multiple eating establishments – and it will make or break your cruise – try NCL.

And I'd still like to know what this "Group" is.

Thanks bdjam. I'm confused by "the group" as well. Not sure what that is in reference to.

Oh, and Ted & Ralph say HI. Just sailed with them on the Pride. What a blast!

Being in the cruise industry I realize the agents don't give you all the information or even have all the information involving every aspect or policy of the ships. If the dining rules vary as it says here how could you expect them to know it all.

I think personal choice is a nice option but I do prefer the opportunity to meet a few people at traditional dining. So, it seems as though I could check out my companions and let the staff know if I do not plan to return? Is that fair? Thus letting those who would like traditional dining take my place if we are not comfortable at table? It is a problem since sis knows only NCL and their dining policy, she indicates PC as her preference.

Being in the cruise industry I realize the agents don't give you all the information or even have all the information involving every aspect or policy of the ships. If the dining rules vary as it says here how could you expect them to know it all.

I think personal choice is a nice option but I do prefer the opportunity to meet a few people at traditional dining. So, it seems as though I could check out my companions and let the staff know if I do not plan to return? Is that fair? Thus letting those who would like traditional dining take my place if we are not comfortable at table? It is a problem since sis knows only NCL and their dining policy, she indicates PC as her preference.

Gypsea,

Yes, this is perfectly fine and is done all the time. In the past - before PC dining on Princess DH and I would dine with our assigned tablemates the first night, if it looked liked things we not doing to work out (for whatever reasons) we would speak to the maitre'd upon leaving the dining room to try to make other arrangements. We were always very flexible and were always satisfied with the outcome.

Remember, it's easier now. But there are some steps to be taken. As I stated earlier.

The "choice" of PC - is Traditional or Anytime Dining.

The speciality restaurants and HC serve as an "alternative" to your "choice" of dining

If you have traditional and are unhappy with your table (or tablemates) you can ask to be reassigned in traditional or switch to Anytime Dining - but it's important to remember that when you switch to Anytime you will lose your traditional table (there is always a waitlist that they will try to clear for traditional).

You are free to dine at any of the alternative dining rooms at any time but while in traditional it's always best to tell your waiter or head waiter that you are doing so - as they tend to hold back taking orders until everyone has arrived at the table.

Also, (boy I do go on don't I?) if it's a question of meeting new people, in Anytime Dining you can always request to sit with others and thereby meet new people everynight if you wish.

There really are a lot of choices and you're right it's hard to know just what they are if you haven't cruised Princess before.

Also, people often forget that sometimes, just like at home you can't show up in "prime time" and and expect to be seated right away, you may have a 15-20 minutes wait and they get all upset ("they told me I could eat ANYTIME").

Just go with an open mind and everything will be fine.

Thanks bdjam. I'm confused by "the group" as well. Not sure what that is in reference to.

Oh, and Ted & Ralph say HI. Just sailed with them on the Pride. What a blast!

Oh my God, those guys get around. Ralph had a bit of an “accident” and Ted was heard saying they were going on the cruise if he had to drag Ralph on board! Hope you all had a good time!

Archived