Just back from 1st Cruise--Alaska

Hemmar

This is my first post. However, I have been avidly reading this website for all of the information I could get before my first cruise. There were so many wonderful, helpful hints here that I felt very prepared for our trip. We did the Sapphire Princess, May 22-29 trip.

Because I received so much useful information before my trip, I thought I would share some information I received on the trip.

Regarding Personal Choice/Anytime dining: this no longer exists like it did before. Now, every dining room has the SAME menu as the Traditional Dining Room. The only difference is that each room will have a "Special" for the evening that is part of their theme. For example, the Sante Fe room will have one special each evening that is Southwestern Cuisine.

I asked the head waiter regarding this issue since we were looking forward to a different cuisine in each Dining Room. They stated that due to customer comments, they changed their practice 2 weeks before our cruise and each Dining Room would have the same menu. If you wanted the "Special" for that Dining Room, you would need to specifically ask for it because it would not be listed anywhere.

This is just a heads up to anyone else that is cruising on Princess in the future and has Personal Choice dining. Also, you need to call for reservations or they won't even seat you until after 8 p.m.

Just a quick note regarding this since (from all of the posts I read before I left) this seems to be a big issue for many out there.

Hemmar, many thanks for keeping all of us regular readers updated on this new dining. The information about the Special was, I believe, the first time anyone has noted this, so THANKS. Some quick questions on the reservation process in the PC Rooms; you said "they won't even seat you until after 8 pm". Do you mean they won't take a reservation until after 8? Or something else? Did you make reservations or just show up? If you just meandered by, about what time and how long was your wait?

There were only 3 of us, so we did not make reservations for the first night. When we got to the Dining Room we wanted to eat at (at 7:00 p.m.), we were told that they would not be able to seat us until after 8:00. There was no one ahead of us and there were tables open. This happened one other night also. After that, we made reservations or ate after 8. Once, in the Vivaldi restaurant (which is now only open after 8 p.m. as they are using this Dining Room as an additional Traditional Dining room before 8) we showed up and waited 15 minutes before walking out and going to another dining room. There were tables open and we had 4 different people come up to us asking if we had reservations. When we told them, no we did not, they disappeared claiming that they could not make any decisions and went in search (supposedly) of the only person who could make a decision. We walked out after 15 minutes and went to Sterling where we were seated right away.

This is my first post. However, I have been avidly reading this website for all of the information I could get before my first cruise. There were so many wonderful, helpful hints here that I felt very prepared for our trip. We did the Sapphire Princess, May 22-29 trip.

Because I received so much useful information before my trip, I thought I would share some information I received on the trip.

Regarding Personal Choice/Anytime dining: this no longer exists like it did before. Now, every dining room has the SAME menu as the Traditional Dining Room. The only difference is that each room will have a "Special" for the evening that is part of their theme. For example, the Sante Fe room will have one special each evening that is Southwestern Cuisine.

I asked the head waiter regarding this issue since we were looking forward to a different cuisine in each Dining Room. They stated that due to customer comments, they changed their practice 2 weeks before our cruise and each Dining Room would have the same menu. If you wanted the "Special" for that Dining Room, you would need to specifically ask for it because it would not be listed anywhere.

This is just a heads up to anyone else that is cruising on Princess in the future and has Personal Choice dining. Also, you need to call for reservations or they won't even seat you until after 8 p.m.

Just a quick note regarding this since (from all of the posts I read before I left) this seems to be a big issue for many out there.

We were on your same cruise and had a slightly different experience. We are PC diners and were looking forward to the dining room specific menus after hearing so much about them. When we found out that the menu was the same for every dining room (except Sabbitinis and Horizon Court) we were a little disappointed. However, that Princess decision did not spoil our cruise. We were never told by anyone that there was a possibility that we could have one course specific to the dining room. We were given our standard menu and no other option by the wait staff. Also, with regard to dining reservations, we definitely had to make reservations for the Vivaldi because it was a traditional dining room until 8 PM. We made reservations for 8 PM and were seated immediately upon our arrival. Another night we just showed up (without reservations) at 6:30 for the Pacific Moon and were seated immediately with no problem.

Just my guess, but it would appear that Vivaldi is not accepting reservations or walkups prior to 8:00 p.m. because they are using the room for the overflow of folks on the waiting list for early seating traditional dining. Thus the "empty" tables are assigned to those on traditional dining. Even if the traditional diners assigned to that room went to an alternate dining room, had room service, or at the the Horizon, and had the courtesy to notify the wait staff (something too seldom done), the usual practice for traditional dining room (and thus the Vivaldi "annex") is to not allow PC diners to eat in the traditional dining room for dinner. Whether this makes sense to us, is of course open to debate, but I wouldn't fault the wait staff to adhering to company policy. Looks like Princess is trying to shake out the system, and it's bound to have a few kinks. As always, it never hurts to ask for what you want. Perhaps when they are able to confirm no-shows it will be possible to allow PC diners into the traditional seating dining rooms.

I just posted this on another thread, but I'd like to repeat it here.

I totally understand why Princess has done this on both the Sapphire and Diamond.

Ever since the Diamond first sailed with it's particular PC setup of four themed dining rooms (where you could also get the main dining room menu) I have never seen more complaints regarding dining on Princess!!! Mostly it was about trying to get a 7/7:30pm reservation - which is what the majority of people in the PC dining wanted all at the same time, which if they said yes to, would do away completely with being able to get two complete seatings in those dining rooms (the early would just be getting finished - hopefully, but the late seaters [8pm onward] would never get a chance to be sat) - so I understand why they told everyone no - and seated people who walked up, or gave them a pager.

Part of the problem is the confusion that comes with the title "Personal Choice Cruising" which is their attempt to compete with NCL (why they would want to is beyond me, but that's just MHO.) Many people who have Traditional seating think they can also dine in the PC dining rooms whenever the fancy takes them - after all they want to experience the specialty menus (nevermind that they're offered on certain nights in the main dining room - but that's not widely explained), and want Personal Choice Cruising™ like everyone else. This was a recipe for Chaotic Dining Disaster™, which we all have witnessed here on the boards, and are just a fraction of the complaints Princess must have received due to this.

There was also the huge waitlist for Traditional dining.

Now, they attempted to correct some of this, by adding one more dining room to traditional to offset that long waitlist. I also understand taking away the specialty menus - they don't have them in the PC dining rooms on any other Princess ship, and it just adds to confusion as many passengers have no idea you can get the main dining room menu (and any other PC menu) in any of the theme dining rooms.

Last Oct I sailed on the Diamond, and had a standing 8pm reservation every night for a wonderful table for 2 in the Pacific Moon. Dragos our waiter brought us whatever dish we asked for, from whatever menu on the ship (other than Sabatini's) we wanted. NO PROBLEM.

If it were my decision, I'd do away with all the specialty menus, change Sterling to an additional charge room, and keep the other three as PC, and see how bad the waitlist for Traditional was in a few month's time. Sterling is always the most crowded dining room on those two ships.

But the complaining now I don't really understand - so what if the specialty menus are gone? They weren't on any other Princess ship without a charge. There are still three PC dining rooms, and with more people happy in Traditional dining, there will be less people competing for reservation times.... You can also still get steak every night on the regular menu if you want.

But the complaining now I don't really understand - so what if the specialty menus are gone? They weren't on any other Princess ship without a charge.

Maybe that is why some of us booked on the Diamond--18 days no less. I want variety of food, not just variety of setting.

There were only 3 of us, so we did not make reservations for the first night. When we got to the Dining Room we wanted to eat at (at 7:00 p.m.), we were told that they would not be able to seat us until after 8:00. There was no one ahead of us and there were tables open. This happened one other night also. After that, we made reservations or ate after 8. Once, in the Vivaldi restaurant (which is now only open after 8 p.m. as they are using this Dining Room as an additional Traditional Dining room before 8) we showed up and waited 15 minutes before walking out and going to another dining room. There were tables open and we had 4 different people come up to us asking if we had reservations. When we told them, no we did not, they disappeared claiming that they could not make any decisions and went in search (supposedly) of the only person who could make a decision. We walked out after 15 minutes and went to Sterling where we were seated right away.

Customer service continues to crumble. It took the third dining room when there were opening in the others? Unacceptable!

After reading these posts, it seems awfully confusing. Why even bother with personal choice,

but maybe have an earlier late seating...

Or a later early seating...

or two different restaurants with the same menu...

or all menus different...

Maybe that is why some of us booked on the Diamond--18 days no less. I want variety of food, not just variety of setting.

You will have a variety of food. Every night will be a different menu, with 5-6 entrees, and that is just the dining rooms. The specialty menus were very limited, with only three entrees each. The main dinner menu was always far more diverse, (with better dishes.)

Are the specialty menus the only reason you booked the Diamond? Really? If so, I think you would have been disapponted after the 4th night.

I guess the complaints far outweighed the compliments Princess received.

Okay, this is confusing. Are you saying that if you want PC dining they will let you have a reservation? NCL does not allow you to do that. You show up, you wait if you show up at the wrong time, or you walk right in. It is like any popular restaurant that doesn't accept reservations. Of course, some will say it doesn't work but I think those are the people that insist on showing up at the most popular hour and are not willing to wait a few minutes. I sailed five times on NCL and never had a problem dining when I wanted. It can work and Princess will eventually figure out their mistake.

I also think that the specialty menus caused a great deal of confusion, in that more people wanted to go to Sterling and have steak, when they could go to any of the PC dining rooms, and have that menu. But if you don't want Asian food, you wouldn't want to go to Pacific Moon - even though you could have ANY menu there - it's just MOST people didn't know that.

This confusion led to MUCH complaining and unhappy passengers, especially with so many not getting their first choice of traditional seating.

The Specialty menus were a nice touch, but I think passengers being able to be more flexible with their dining times far outweigh the menu advantages.

I'm guessing it just caused more confusion and unhappy passengers than happy ones.

I see. You would think that would be fine but maybe it should be a bit after 8. Early or later it is usually not an issue to be seated.

It is the best of both worlds to have traditional and PC. My sister and I will probably always eat together but I thought if we had late seating and she decided to buffet or turn in early (whatever) at least I would have dinner companions at the traditional dining room. Can't beat that.

Okay, this is confusing. Are you saying that if you want PC dining they will let you have a reservation? NCL does not allow you to do that. You show up, you wait if you show up at the wrong time, or you walk right in. It is like any popular restaurant that doesn't accept reservations. Of course, some will say it doesn't work but I think those are the people that insist on showing up at the most popular hour and are not willing to wait a few minutes. I sailed five times on NCL and never had a problem dining when I wanted. It can work and Princess will eventually figure out their mistake.

First off - you have either PC OR Traditional - not both. I believe that is where most of the confusion comes from. If you choose Traditional, you can either eat in the main dining room at your assigned time/table, go to Sabatini's (reservation required), or eat at Horizon buffet. You cannot eat in the PC dining rooms - those are for passengers who choose PC dining. The fact that some traditional diners are eating in the PC dining rooms leaves empty seats in the main dining rooms, and overcrowds the PC restaurants making dining when you want for the PC diners impossible, as PC diners cannot dine in the main dining rooms.

If you choose PC, you can eat in any PC dining room, Horizon Court, or Sabatini's, but cannot eat in the main dining rooms.

So - you can see where part of the chaos comes from.

The way PC is done on the Diamond/Sapphire: You can make a reservation for anytime except between 6:30pm and 8:00pm. This is because if parties are sat during those times, they won't be out in time for a second seating. (They still need to do at least two seatings in the PC dining rooms just like the main dining rooms.) You will get seated between 6:30/8:00p if other people who have dined earlier have already finished. Yes, there will be empty seats, but believe me, they aren't empty just to piss passengers off. If you've ever worked at or run a restaurant, you will understand what they're up against. Feeding 2500 people between 5:30-10pm and getting them all seated SOMEWHERE can't be that easy - especially when you give them more than one choice of where they can eat. It SOUNDS like it would be easy, but if no one wants to eat in the Horizon one night, and the Sterling gets booked up, and there is a 40 min wait at Vivaldi, but no wait at Pacific Moon - but you don't want to eat in Pacific Moon (even though you can have any menu you want), there is going to be some unhappy, cranky passengers, especially if they are the ones who didn't make the waitlist for traditional which was their first choice.

As you can see from Bardgal's magnificent efforts here to explain Princess Personal Choice, it's tough enough in its basic guise, let alone all the adders and provisions that were introduced with the Diamond and Sapphire. I can understand why Princess made the change.

I hate to tell you this but the Princess agent I happened to discuss this with told me I was confirmed for second but could do PC if I wanted. Possibly she doesn't know what she is talking about but I didn't argue as I have never sailed Princess so how would I know.

Hemmer,

Thanks for the post. What a great itinerery for your first cruise. We were on the same Alaskan cruise last August and really enjoyed the personal choice dining and had no problem with it. I'm glad we had an opportunity to experience the personal dining as it use to be. However, the changes don't bother us at all. Whatever dining they offer will not affect our cruise experience.

Are you now a cruiseaholic and where do you plan to go on your next cruise?

I hate to tell you this but the Princess agent I happened to discuss this with told me I was confirmed for second but could do PC if I wanted. Possibly she doesn't know what she is talking about but I didn't argue as I have never sailed Princess so how would I know.

By saying you could "do PC if you want", that means you can do Sabatini's or Horizon Court in addition to the main dining room. You can do PC if you want, but you will lose your seat in the main dining room, and be switched to PC for the rest of the cruise. (This is true on any Princess ship that has PC dining, not just Diamond and Sapphire.)

If everyone who had a seat in the main dining rooms in traditional seating ate whenever they felt like it in the PC dining rooms, all of the PC diners would not get fed.

On the Diamond, the maitre'ds in the PC rooms were always asking for S&S cards to check if passengers had traditional or PC dining - if they had traditional, and if they decided to dine in the PC dining rooms, they would be told they would lose their seats in the main dining room, and be switched to PC for the rest of the week, so they could clear the waitlist for those passengers who still wanted traditional dining. This was an attempt to cut down on the over-crowding in the PC rooms from traditional diners overrunning the PC rooms, and leaving the main dining room full of empty seats.

Also - be advised that what the reservation agents tell you, and what happens on the ships are sometimes two different things entirely. Many of the agents have never been on the ships, and have no idea exactly how it works.

By saying you could "do PC if you want", that means you can do Sabatini's or Horizon Court in addition to the main dining room. You can do PC if you want, but you will lose your seat in the main dining room, and be switched to PC for the rest of the cruise. (This is true on any Princess ship that has PC dining, not just Diamond and Sapphire.)

No truer words were ever spoken.

The "choice" of PC - is Traditional or Anytime Dining.

The speciality restaurants and HC serve as an "alternative" to your "choice" of dining.

We have done PC dining very successfully on both the Grand and the Golden. On both ships, we just presented ourselves at one of the DRs whenever we were ready to eat (including those oft-requested times of 7:00 or 7:30) usually were given a table right away or occasionally given a beeper for a short wait (maybe 10 minutes.) This was exactly what we expected PC to be, and we loved it. Last January, we did the Mexican Riviera on the Diamond, and the PC rooms pushed for you to reserve either about 6:00 or 8:00-8:30. We had read on these boards about diners who didn't reserve being turned away completely and sent to the buffet, so we weren't willing to chance it. But the Diamond's plan took away all the flexibility which we thought was a main attraction for PC dining. The Diamond was a beautiful ship and we loved the itinerary, but I wouldn't sail the Diamond or the Sapphire again unless they loosen up the PC dining --- just my opinion.

bardgal - Thank you for sharing your comments on the topic, but I am afraid they are a little one-sided. I have a separate point of view here, and I am sure there are other cruisers who would tend to agree with my side as well.

I think that people who have been on several cruises or who are unsure of eating at a fixed time/table every night do book the Diamond and the Sapphire for the 4 themed dining rooms. I know that the difference in dining on these ships contributed to my selection of the Diamond for my Mexico cruise in January. I was not disappointed after the 4th night because it gave me the opportunity to retry other dining rooms and I still took advantage of the regular menu on top of the specialty menu. After my Diamond cruise I thought about which ship I might try next, and really it boils down to itinerary at this point. I can have a great time on any ship with any dining configuration and menu.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe people considered the theme dining rooms and not having to pay a surcharge for a few perks in the dining room a bonus? People work hard for their vacation money. I'm sure that Princess set up the dining rooms so that they would not lose money without collecting a surcharge. I have a pretty significant restaurant background and the smaller, set specialty menus allow them to plan better for what foods will be ordered.

Personal choice is about allowing people to decide what they want and when they want it. Obviously there were a few bugs in the system, and I applaud Princess for taking the bull by the horns and trying to make the cruising experience the best it can be for all passengers. Instead of turning around and playing Monday morning quarterback on Princess' decision, let's just take the message of these boards back to assisting new and experienced cruisers plan their vacations.

Reading through all this has given me a headache. We are on the Sapphire in Sept., and booked PC, simply because we've done it before, and like the flexibility. The varying menus, while they sounded like they might be fun, certainly don't rattle me by going away. But I'm wondering at this point if it's all worth the hassle. I might opt for the Horizon Court on a permanent basis !!

We were on Sapphire 5/15-22, on Anytime Dining because we booked the cruise late. There's a concierge phone you dial to make your reservations, and it was very easy. An approach for those who like early traditional seating but don't book early enough to get it, is to simply reserve in one of the other dining rooms (Santa Fe, Vivaldi, etc.) for the same time every night (e.g., 5:30 when they open, or 6:00), and you'll have it resolved.

Also relevant here: we found the Horizon Court food to be much, much better than in the buffets on other cruises, and also the seating areas were very pleasant, especially those well behind the buffet areas toward the back of the ship where views were splendid. We found ourselves preferring the buffet where we could see our choices (instead of imagining them from menu descriptions), and take tiny tastes of many dishes -- and see the passing scenery as well, which you miss in the large dining rooms.

Archived