RCCL Radiance with kids?

We are looking at booking a Christmas or New year cruise in Dec 2013/ Jan 2014 with our family and extended family.

Our son will 2 1/2. Wondering what other families have done cabin-wise on the Radiance? I have heard some info about curtains that separate the bed from the couch/tv area in most cabins, but I'm not sure how dated this information is. A curtain of some sort would be perfect in terms of allowing our son to go to bed at a reasonable hour while we are still able to read or watch a movie on the iPad. I don't fancy having to go to bed early every night because we are all in the same room and the light would bother him.

Considering either a balcony or a Junior Suite for the extra space.

Suggestions please! :)

I have heard some info about curtains that separate the bed from the couch/tv area in most cabins, but I'm not sure how dated this information is. A curtain of some sort would be perfect

We had a balcony in November and there was a curtain to pull. Our cabin was on the hump on Deck 9 - 9578 and had an oversized balcony. The one next door (9576) is larger as is 9076 and 9078 and 9092 but ours was fine.

Our cabin had the bed next to the balcony and the curtain was in the middle separating the couch and bed. I am not sure as we did not see other cabins but it might be better to have the bed next to the bathroom. This would give you the door and bathroom with babe in the other half. Other more seasoned Radiance cruisers will be able to give advice I am sure.

Note - the bathroom was really small and I would look at a junior suite if possible.

We had 9576 which a fantastic balcony with a forward view, 1st cabin on the hump. On warm nights we left the balcony door open to let in the breezes. The bed is next to the balcony. The curtain is the very heavy type and Radiance also has bed & sofa personal reading lights. Agree that the bathroom is very small (1 person) with a shower curtain:( Always had wet floor. Friends had a JS which gives you so much more space in both the cabin and the bathroom.

BTW there is no noise from the Centrum and lifts with the cabin door shut.

View from 9576 balcony - note how far outboard you are.

IMGP0393copy_zps97431881.jpg

We were on the 12 December sailing on Radiance in a Junior Suite. We were travelling as a couple and our 19 month old daughter. The extra space was brilliant as was the large bathroom and bath (shower was over bath). Plus the added bonus of the kettle for boiling water for her bottles was so wort it. However there was no divider curtain in our suite, just a small one that only went about 1 meter from the wall. But with the room being a good size we could put her port-a-cot quite away from the TV so could still watch while she slept.

We are booked to go on Radiance NYE 2013 to NZ. Having travelled to the islands last year we were also keen on a balcony, but a friend who travelled there last year indicated they did not use the balcony much as it could be quite cold. Also, if your 2.5 yr old is anything like as active a climber as ours were note that balcony rails are horizontal - ladder like. I know how challenging it can be keeping an eye on tear away toddlers so will it cause additional stress monitoring the balcony door?

Archived