Cane garden bay - not for the faint at heart!

mom22tinks

I just got back from Tortola and Cane Garden Beach was nice but the trip there - not so much! The roads are treacherous and I was really nervous. I really thought I was going to be sick to my stomach and was shaking when we got to the Beach. Just wanted to warn others.....

Jess

LOL :p

Jess, sorry that you didn't enjoy the drive down into CGB. I assume you were in a safari taxi that took you over Windy Hill and down into the bay, if so you went around a few switchbacks (steep 180° turns) going up Windy Hill, and the hill into the bay was a little steep?

Now if you were talking about Belmont Rd going into Smuggler's Cove I could understand since that's very bumpy and not paved. But actually the roads on Tortola are all paved and in good condition, and the drive to CGB isn't that bad compared to other areas of the island. There are steep roads and curves but nothing I would consider scary. We've driven that many, many times because we stay on Tortola and I wouldn't want someone else to be too concerned about the ride there.

Just not for everyone, but next time maybe rent a Jeep and drive the island, it's really beautiful and once you get accustomed to driving on the left it's not that bad.

Archived