Which deck for Diamond Princess to Alaska

lia_b

I am not calling you a liar, but I was sailing the same time and was out every night. May 15-23. Up early every morning too. :) I saw some excellent beautiful extended twilight, but no neon green ribbons. And in talking to the capt. several times, none reported?? I have seen Northern Lights out of Fairbanks in the winter, on 2 trips. Did you happen to get a photo?? It sounds like you certainly had a wonderful night viewing, no matter what it was. :)

There is NO chance of any aurora sighings in June, July,to mid August. Just doesn't get dark enough.

WELL, If YOU didn't see it...It couldn't have possibly have happened! The all knowing! All seeing Budget Queen! Please EXcuse ME!!!!

Elmtree,

Tell us more about the aft balcony on the Diamond. Were you able to be outside quite a bit? Did you find it less windy than other locations? What about movement? We are really enjoying all the posts from those who are cruising on the Diamond to Alaska as we plan to go in August. Thanks!

Elmtree,

Tell us more about the aft balcony on the Diamond. Were you able to be outside quite a bit? Did you find it less windy than other locations? What about movement? We are really enjoying all the posts from those who are cruising on the Diamond to Alaska as we plan to go in August. Thanks!

Our balcony was the last one on the starboard side..it had that little wrap around piece on it..It was wonderful! We spent a lot of time on it..Way into the night..I didn't think it was too cold at all..My husband who is always colder than I am just put on his light jacket and we totally enjoyed using it..We are from the east so getting up early because of the 4 hours time change was nice..we would get coffee and just watch the world sail away each morning and then get late night snacks and go out and view the stars..The only time I noticed any wind to speak of was when we were crusing in Tracy Arm (which is just beyond words amazing) and the captain began turing the boat around, so when we got about half way around the wind was really really fierce..so I just stepped inside for a minute till we came about..Ha..How's that for sailing talk?..Our balcony was hugh! They had 2 recliners, four chairs, and a table on it for us..The eveing we saw the northern lights it was clear and not really too cold..just take the bed spread off the bed and bundle up with it..It is sooooo heavy, we had to take it off the bed each evening in order to turn over in bed..

My husband is fasinated with how the Captain steared the boat through all the ice bergs in Tracy Arm and how he docked it at each port, so he spend a lot of time just hanging over the railing and watching which moter or whatever they used to move the boat a certain way.."Come look...hurry..they are using the starboard motors"...Yea, Yea, Yea,,,call me when we are docked..Ha...Anyway, we loved the balcony..and had a great time!

If you all have half as good a time as we did..you will be delighted!

Oh Yea, forgot about the movement..It was smooth as glass until the night before we docked in Victoria..we had a storm and it was a rocking and a rolling..We were in other parts of the ship while the storm was raging and I didn't see or notice any difference in movement in our cabin. I like storms so I thougt it was pretty cool..we still watched the waves from inside the cabin and they were pretty impressive, but I slept like a baby..so we loved it!

So how much bigger are the balconies on the lower decks open to the sky then the covered ones?

One more thing.... Has anyone been in C747, it seems to have an extended deck. If so, can you see around it or do you have stretch out to look behind the ship.

Thanks...all great advice!!

LIa b,

We were on the Diamond last year to Alaska in Cabin A431. It was right by the center stairway midship. It was a great location - just steps from the elevators or stairs up to the Lido deck and Horizon Court (for that morning coffee, you know). I never heard anything from the hall or the Lido deck above us. The balcony was totally covered but there wasn't much of an overhang so it didn't interfer with picture taking much at all. It was great when we were in Tracy Arm in the cold rain. I think you will like the location very much.

Judynorth, thank you so much for the link to your webshots pictures. They were wonderful. We are taking the Diamond on June 25th and are staying on the port side of the ship almost across the ship from where you stayed. It made me want to be leaving immediately as it looked so nice both on the ship and around Alaska.

Thanks again for your post.

Judynorth, thank you so much for the link to your webshots pictures. They were wonderful. We are taking the Diamond on June 25th and are staying on the port side of the ship almost across the ship from where you stayed.

Thanks. I am still in the process of putting pictures up. It is going to take a while. I have to narrow down over 2000 pictures. There are just so many beautiful scenes to record in Alaska (and in the Seattle area where we spent the week before the cruise) that it is hard to stop shooting. I hope you enjoy your location as much as we did. It was convenient to everything. Have a great trip.

Archived