Which deck for Diamond Princess to Alaska

lia_b

I just put a hold on a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck midship for the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Whittier for next year. I just want to make sure this is the right cabin/deck for us. I am looking for the least amount of rocking and good views. Which are the best decks on the Diamond for this? I was a bit afraid the Aloha might be too high to view any wildlife. Also, what about privacy?

Your comments please.

LOL....it's not that the Aloha deck is too high to view wildlife, the ship will be too far from shore to view wildlife.

Unless, of course, you are talking about water-based wildlife....in which case, consider that each deck is about 10 higher than the deck below. Aloha is the second highest deck with balcony cabins or suites; only Lido is higher. The lowest deck with balcony cabins/suites is Emerald. So, think about being 40 feet higher than the Emerald deck, and then you still have some distance to go before you hit the waterline.

Now, I go back to the analogy in the first paragraph.....any water-based wildlife is not going to be directly right next to the ship. You can assume the whales and other water-based wildlife will be a few hundred feet from the ship. In which case, 40 feet higher or 40 feet lower is not going to make a bit of difference.

Now.....getting to your question about rocking. It's a common rule of thumb: the higher your deck, the more noticeable the rocking. The best situation is is to be on a lower deck, as close to mid-ship as possible. Thus the irony.....why are suites often located on a high deck, often at the front or aft of the ship?

I just put a hold on a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck midship for the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Whittier for next year. I just want to make sure this is the right cabin/deck for us. I am looking for the least amount of rocking and good views. Which are the best decks on the Diamond for this? I was a bit afraid the Aloha might be too high to view any wildlife. Also, what about privacy?

Your comments please.

We just came back from Alaska this past Sunday. We sailed the Sapphire (sister to Diamond) and had a great cabin, B512. We were on the port side, midship, and our balcony was covered (we had privacy). We really didn't feel any rocking from our cabin. We felt that our cabin offered a great viewing point and wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

For a northbound sailing better is starboard for SCENERY. I totally agree, you aren't likely to see wildlife in Alaska from a crusie ship. Tours are necessary. Even marine wildlife, you have cut your chances by over 50% with only side viewing. Best chances is from a full front view, with a good pair of wide angle binoculars and a GREAT DEAL of TIME invested which few passengers are willing.

Glad to read the comment about the Baja deck cabin (B512). We are booked on the Diamond in July and have 3 inside cabins on the Baja deck for our little group, almost directly across from B512. Wish we could have afforded the balcony, but we just couldn't stretch the budget! I tried to go as close to midship as we could get, and hopefully we won't be spending alot of time in them anyway!

While we're on the subject of cabins, just how small are these inside cabins on the Baja deck? I've read some posts that you need a shoe horn and lots of vasoline to pick up the soap while you're in the shower :) One of our cabins will have a couple and their teenage daughter, one will have an older couple, and I, thankfully, will have one all to myself :D I'm hoping we won't all be ready to kill each other by the following Saturday!

Thanks, and happy cruising!

We just returned from Alaska last week. We had the aft balcony E 731 on the Diamond..Coming into Juneua we saw a humpback whale breaching in the water from our balcony in the early morning..and then what I thought at time was some kind of seals...turned out to be a pod of orca whales..so you can see lots of stuff from your balcony, if you spend time out early in the mornings...

We also saw the northern lights at around 12:45 one night off the back of the ship over the horizon..Amazing and wonderful!! So, have hope and just keep your eyes open..

You will have the nearly the same amount of space in the cabin, about 190 sq ft vs. about 210 for balcony cabins. LOL, as for the shower, yes it is a tight squeeze, although doable, and as said many times, if you drop the soap, some part of you will be sticking out of the shower while you retrieve it.

Just how noticable is the rocking on the higher decks? We were given the Lido deck, and this being our first cruise, I'm a little nervous about ANY rocking and rolling!!

It all depends! (How's that for a non-answer?) If the waters are calm, then you'll seldom feel any rocking and rolling. If the waters are rough, you'll feel rocking and rolling. You can never predict.

Just how noticable is the rocking on the higher decks? We were given the Lido deck, and this being our first cruise, I'm a little nervous about ANY rocking and rolling!!

We just returned Sunday from our cruise to Alaska. We had only one day of any real movement. We did roll a little bit but nothing to worry about. Make sure to take your sea sickness medication (I swear by Bonnine) and you will be just fine. I have seen a lot of people not take anything and are caught off guard. For me, I would rather be safe than sorry later. I don't want anything to spoil my cruise. Relax, don't worry about anything. Have a wonderful cruise.

We've enjoyed 5 Alaska cruises, the most recent on Sapphire, R/T Seattle. Your cabin choice sounds fine, although if you like a bigger balcony open to the sky, lower decks are what you should choose.

Since next year's Diamond (& Sapphire) itinerary will be one-way between Vancouver & Whittier, your cruise should be much smoother with less time on rough ocean, compared to this year's itineraries out of Seattle (which go outside Vancouver Island). Nonetheless, Bonine is an excellent precaution; for me 1/2 tablet does the trick (a whole tablet makes me sleepy).

We did see a wonderful whale "show" on the way north -- whenever you are outside, whether on your own veranda or the public decks, watch! You'll see eagles from the ship too, especially approaching or departing from ports. In the past we've seen bears, but not this year. The scenery will leave you breathless, however -- and next year Sapphire & Diamond go to Glacier Bay. Yay!

Has anybody taken the Bonine and still consumed alcohol? Will it make you sick or just more tired. I am aware that everyone cqn hqve q different reaction but I was still curious.

Thanks

I have taken Bonine and still consumed alcohol with no real side effects. In my case, I take my Bonine just before I retire. I usually don't drink during the day; however, I do have wine with dinner. I have never been sick, and if the mix makes me more tired, I am going to bed anyway. If concerned, you might want to check with your pharmacist or doctor.

We also saw the northern lights at around 12:45 one night off the back of the ship over the horizon..Amazing and wonderful!! So, have hope and just keep your eyes open..

Sorry but northern lights have not been visable for well over a month, just too light and when they are, like in Sept, even 12:45am is early. I'll assume you saw one of the wonderful extended sunsets, twilight?

Sorry but northern lights have not been visable for well over a month, just too light and when they are, like in Sept, even 12:45am is early. I'll assume you saw one of the wonderful extended sunsets, twilight?

Sorry to tell you that the naturalist on board the Diamond the night after we saw the lights said on the intercam that everyone should watch out for them as this was perfect time and sky to see them..I KNOW what I saw..and it was exactly like the ones I have seem on tv and on several shows..they spiked and moved and were wonderfull...I really think you assume too much in calling me a liar!!!!@!

http://www.pfrr.alaska.edu/aurora/faq.htm#where

Elmtree

Where were you at when you saw the northern light? I mean, what port had you left or where were you in the trip? We are leaving in 24 days! You were so blessed to see the lights.

Carma

It was the night before we sailed Tracy Arm, so not sure what night that would be. We sailed from Seattle May 14...Guess it would be 17 or 18 maybe 19...not sure what day we were in Tracy Arm.We had the aft cabin and the night was very clear..we had the last aft mini suite and had pushed the two reclining chairs together out on the balcony and had the bed spead pulled all up around us and were just enjoying the stars when I glanced over my husbands shoulder and saw the most amazing sight in the lower sky..it was between 12:30 and 1:00..there was this colorful cloud like thing in sky that was streaming down and sort of floating in the what seemed like a breeze, but not really..It;s hard to enplain..I did not want to believe we had such luck either..then it seemed to arch with these colors and they just would spike up and then recede..I have looke up pics of them since then and I am SURE that is what we saw..and after the guy (the man who gets on the intercum when we sailed Tracy Arm the next morning) who should know what he is talking about said to watch for them, as the conditions were perfect to see them .I was even more sure that we really honest to God saw them...Anyway, enjoy your cruise! And Good Luck..We really did see whales and orcas off the balcony also coming into Juneau too!

:) Hi Elm and Carma, looking forward to 6/25 on Diamond, too, and wouldn't it be a treat to see Northern Lights ??? On our last Alaskan cruise, we were told to tell the purser to pass the word to the "powers that be" that if N.L.s were seen during the night to call our cabin. No calls, but one evening late, we did see a big green haze far off in the distance and I at least hoped it was northern lights - nothing like what you described, though, Elm. What a thrill!!! Counting down from hot East Texas, til we can head "North to Alaska".

That would be such a thrill. Even if the rest of everything was terrible, that moment would make it all worthwhile. I will at least keep an eye out, since I didn't even know it was possible. I, being the expert that I am, told my husband that you had to be "way up" in Alaska to see anything.

Your description was so good I can imagine the whole thing like I was there.

It sounds like it was a bit chilly at night though. Was it?

Those going on the 25, we should all try and meet for a drink.

Sorry but you are on a ship in the water. No way around the movement, so expect some. It is a myth that Alaska sailing is "smooth as glass" it is not, including my last sailing there a couple weeks ago. If prone to motion sickness, take precautions. No way to predict.

Sorry to tell you that the naturalist on board the Diamond the night after we saw the lights said on the intercam that everyone should watch out for them as this was perfect time and sky to see them..I KNOW what I saw..and it was exactly like the ones I have seem on tv and on several shows..they spiked and moved and were wonderfull...I really think you assume too much in calling me a liar!!!!@!

http://www.pfrr.alaska.edu/aurora/faq.htm#where

I am not calling you a liar, but I was sailing the same time and was out every night. May 15-23. Up early every morning too. :) I saw some excellent beautiful extended twilight, but no neon green ribbons. And in talking to the capt. several times, none reported?? I have seen Northern Lights out of Fairbanks in the winter, on 2 trips. Did you happen to get a photo?? It sounds like you certainly had a wonderful night viewing, no matter what it was. :)

There is NO chance of any aurora sighings in June, July,to mid August. Just doesn't get dark enough.

Although the term "rocking and rolling" gets used frequently here, that's not really a good description except perhaps under the most extreme sea conditions. The rolling is usually rather slow - you'll feel a bit of a lean to one side, then a few seconds later you'll feel the ship move back. It's fun to watch people zigzagging down the passageways when this happens. Most people get used to it within a day or two.

If you do feel a little light-headed or queesy, getting outside in some fresh air is the best thing for it. Look at the horizon and wait for your internal wheels to stabilize. It works.

Archived