What happens if we cancel?

cruzinlisa

I am hoping to not have to cancel. About a week ago I hurt my knee in some manner. I was hoping it would get better on its own, but has not yet. I don't know whether I will end up needing surgery or not. Hopefully I will find out soon. Our cruise is not until April, but if I have to have surgery and it requires me to be out of work for a period of time (both are IFs at this point), then I might not have enough vacation time to take my cruise. We are still before final payment and I do not have insurance. I guess its a little too late to get it now.

Anyway, assuming I find out before final payment date and I am able to cancel what happens to:

1. The money I have already paid. I have it paid off.

2. The FCC certificate that I have applied to my cruise and the OBC that goes with it.

3. The drink tickets from bon voyage that we bought?

Do I get my money back on what I have paid on the credit card(s) I used. I made several small payments, will they do it in one lump sum. How long does it take? What about the drink tickets, do I just get a refund for those? They were also in multiple transactions. Will I get it back as one or multiple transactions?

For the FCC, do I get a credit in my name. Will I get a new confirmation number or do they just cancel out the use of the FCC and let me reuse my original certificate number as if it were never used.

Hopefully I do not have to cancel. If I do, hopefully I have a better idea by the beginning of February so that I can get in before final payment. If not, can anyone tell me what the cancelation penalties are? Its a 7 day cruise, booked as past guest.

I am hoping to not have to cancel. About a week ago I hurt my knee in some manner. I was hoping it would get better on its own, but has not yet. I don't know whether I will end up needing surgery or not. Hopefully I will find out soon. Our cruise is not until April, but if I have to have surgery and it requires me to be out of work for a period of time (both are IFs at this point), then I might not have enough vacation time to take my cruise. We are still before final payment and I do not have insurance. I guess its a little too late to get it now.

Anyway, assuming I find out before final payment date and I am able to cancel what happens to:

2. The FCC certificate that I have applied to my cruise and the OBC that goes with it.

Do I get my money back on what I have paid on the credit card(s) I used. I made several small payments, will they do it in one lump sum. How long does it take? What about the drink tickets, do I just get a refund for those? They were also in multiple transactions. Will I get it back as one or multiple transactions?

For the FCC, do I get a credit in my name. Will I get a new confirmation number or do they just cancel out the use of the FCC and let me reuse my original certificate number as if it were never used.

Hopefully I do not have to cancel. If I do, hopefully I have a better idea by the beginning of February so that I can get in before final payment. If not, can anyone tell me what the cancelation penalties are? Its a 7 day cruise, booked as past guest.

That totally sucks! Hopefully you won't have to cancel.

With regards to your questions ...

- if you cancel before final payment (believe it is 90 days), you will get all your money back you paid for the cruise/taxes. My guess is one refund to your cc. You can find the date on the email confirmation they send you. Do it at least one day BEFORE final payment date, not the day of.

- drink tickets. I don't think there are refunds on those, so you'll probably have to keep until your next cruise.

- FCC. No idea, but I'm curious since I potentially will be in the same situation as maybe having to cancel a cruise with an FCC.

Good luck!

We had to cancel in September due to a family emergency. We were within penalty so we filed a claim with our trip insurance for 75% the rest was refunded from Carnival. It took about a week. I called the bon voyage department directly and they refunded all my drink coupons. The FCC was also refunded and I was able to use it on our upcoming trip, however instead of 100 going towards the payment and 100 to an obc they put the entire 200 towards an obc. My TA took care of the FCC so I am not sure how she handled it. Feel better and I hope you are well enough to travel!! Happy New Year!

Lisa

Have you been to see a doctor yet? Depending on the particulars of the injury, if you have to have surgery, it's pretty routine and the recovery time is quick. My husband is having both knees done at the end of January, two MCLs and one ACL, plus bone spurs and a couple of other issues. Surgery is an hour, crutches for 2-3 days, weightbearing walking immediately.

We cruise in June and this surgery is a non-issue, IF everything goes as planned.

Try calling Carnival & see if you can buy insurance. We bought insurance yesterday for a cruise we booked in Aug. We had added a 2nd cruise the week after the 1st. Thought since I became sick & unable to take a cruise last month (only a 3 day, local & inexpensive) that this would give us peace of mind. I feel much better, knowing we have the insurance. It covers much more than cancelling. We were told we could buy insurance up to 15 days prior to cruise. I don't know about pre-existing, other than it says 60 days. You can ask a carnival rep or you travel agent. Hope you can make your cruise.

Have you been to see a doctor yet? Depending on the particulars of the injury, if you have to have surgery, it's pretty routine and the recovery time is quick. My husband is having both knees done at the end of January, two MCLs and one ACL, plus bone spurs and a couple of other issues. Surgery is an hour, crutches for 2-3 days, weightbearing walking immediately.

We cruise in June and this surgery is a non-issue, IF everything goes as planned.

No, I haven't been to the doctor yet. Well not really. I went to urgent care the day it happened (12/22) and they did an x-ray (nothing broken), gave me a knee immoblizer/leg cast, and some meds and told me to go see my regular dr. Of course the reg doctor won't be able to get me in until January and then when I do, assuming he refers me to an orthopedic dr. then it will be even longer. I have no idea what is wrong, or if I will even need surgery, much less how long it will put me out. Internet seemed to suggest 6 weeks, which freaked me out. I have a "desk" job so hopefully i do not have to be out for long if I need surgery.

Cancelling my cruise is the last thing I want to do. I have had some bad luck lately, car accident two weeks ago and then 6 days later I had this fall. So the cruise is something to look foward to.

If you get insurance now, it may/may not cover you because your knee problem would be a pre-existing condition, so I wouldn't count on that.

As far as your deposit is concerned, if you didn't book Early Saver, or one of the other restricted fares, you should be able to get all your money back. If you booked ESA, you will lose $50 per person and Carnival will hold the balance of your deposit to be used later.

Your best bet is to contact Carnival or your TA to find out what your options will be. Hopefully, you will be able to go on your cruise. Good luck.

No, I haven't been to the doctor yet. Well not really. I went to urgent care the day it happened (12/22) and they did an x-ray (nothing broken), gave me a knee immoblizer/leg cast, and some meds and told me to go see my regular dr. Of course the reg doctor won't be able to get me in until January and then when I do, assuming he refers me to an orthopedic dr. then it will be even longer. I have no idea what is wrong, or if I will even need surgery, much less how long it will put me out. Internet seemed to suggest 6 weeks, which freaked me out. I have a "desk" job so hopefully i do not have to be out for long if I need surgery.

Cancelling my cruise is the last thing I want to do. I have had some bad luck lately, car accident two weeks ago and then 6 days later I had this fall. So the cruise is something to look foward to.

IF you need surgery (I have had 4 on one knee) do not stress, and you'll be fine for your cruise!!! Arthroscopy is SO much easier than open knee surgery!! Last one I had, they did surgery in the morning on Thursday, was home Thurs night, and working a convention on Saturday!! And you may not even need surgery! It may just be that you need some rest and rehab, so stay off of it as much as possible so that it can heal itself!!

Tore my ACL/MCL and sprained collateral ligiments. No surgery, physical therapy :) Strengthened my quads, all is good.

BYT I am 51. Surgery isn't always the answer. Good luck.

Thanks, you all are making me feel better about it. I hope we don't have to cancel the cruise. I am pretty sure next cruise I am getting travel insurance first. I did up until last cruise, never got around to it and it all worked out. We are (relatively) young (I am in my thirties) and healthy so I figured its a way to save $100. Not so much I guess.

Our insurance policy ( Travelguard) has a "need to work" clause. It would seem that in your situation you could buy this policy now and use it if necessary. The reason for cancelling would not be the knee injury but rather the fact that you previously scheduled time off has been cancelled.

Archived