Question about Fantasia's MDRs

Skipper Tim

You would think I have nothing better to do than to think about my next cruise. As I slowly work through my DIY jobs list, it does help! Here goes....

Do both MDRs generally open for breakfast and lunch?

On the Musica recently, I was pleased that we were allocated to the MDR in the evening which did not open for breakfast and lunch so that the evenings always felt special and we did not get bored of eating in the same place every meal.

Then, if they both open, what is the received wisdom about which to choose for dinner, given a choice - the two-storey 'Red Velvet' or the panoramic 'Il Cerchio d'Oro'?

Is there ever any live music played in either?

Next, looking at the deck plan, it appears the largest tables seat just six in both. Is this the case? Just when I had settled on an 8-table as being optimum for conviviality! I would have expected at least one 10-table too for the Captain and his guests on formal nights.

Finally, does the rear of the buffet ('L'africana') open for all meals? The equivalent on the Musica became a paid-for only option in the evenings. It would be very handy for me this time as my cabin will be directly beneath and, much like hobits, I really enjoy first and second breakfasts!

As ever, any response much appreciated.

The Red Velvet is open for breakfast and lunch, open sitting. I'm not sure about 'Il Cerchio D' Oro, maybe it depends on how many passengers there are onboard. The Red Velvet is a very nice restaurant with cozy interiors but 'Il Cerchio D'Oro offers wonderful views aft over the ship wakes.

Here is a video I made from Red Velvet on my last cruise on the MSC Fantasia.

The buffet is now open almost 24/7 but they tend to close the rear part L'Africana during dinner hours in the evening.

Then, if they both open, what is the received wisdom about which to choose for dinner, given a choice - the two-storey 'Red Velvet' or the panoramic 'Il Cerchio d'Oro'?

Is there ever any live music played in either?

As ever, any response much appreciated.

MSC doesn't have open seating for dinner so you are assigned to certain table (and dining room) for the cruise.

If I remember correct there wasn't any live music played during dinners.

On my only cruise on the Fantasia, they sometimes opened both restaurants at lunch. Of the 2 I thought the ambience and service was nicer in the Cerchio D'oro, but both nice. The golden one is a tad tricky to find tour way in to though.

Archived