Plan for cell phone use on cruise & in port

sacruiser113

My wife and I will be in South America in February. Most of our time will be on a Holland America ship. Based on the research I've done, the cheapest way to stay in touch with family and others in the U.S. is to use text messaging on my AT&T iPhone. Here's what I'm tentatively planning to do:

1. To avoid roaming data charges, I'm going to disable cellular data and data roaming on my phone.

2. To avoid charges for incoming voice calls, I'm going to forward all calls to my iPhone to my home number.

3. To send SMS texts on or off the ship, I'm going to subscribe to one of AT&T's Global Messaging plans - for example, 50 texts/month cost $10. Incoming texts are billed at domestic rates - because I have an unlimited texting plan, they won't cost any more than they do at home.

4. Emergency voice calls from the ship will cost $2.49/minute - international plans don't apply.

5. For emergency voice calls while in port, I'll get AT&T's Rest of the World plan (40 minutes for $60, $1.20 per call).

Anybody have any better suggestions?

Thanks.

Just asking...have you verified that your phone will, in fact, work in the port areas you are visiting? Phones that work in the US don't always work overseas. And the fact that they sell "international" calling plans allows you to call anywhere FROM the US, but not necessarily the other way around.

I think it would be easier to check email on the ship (no doubt they have computers available if you don't bring your own and/or maybe your iPhone can work in WiFi mode). Sure, you'd have to pay for internet time by the minute, but I think it would be more consistently dependable.

I've verified that my iPhone is compatible with the networks in the places I'll be visiting, and AT&T tells me that the phone will work there.

I'd much rather use SMS text than email. If my kids back in the U.S. need to reach me, text will work better. From what I've read, rates for Internet access on cruise ships are quite high. And, truth be told, I want to see if I can get by without looking at email for almost a month!

Thanks.

Your item #3 -- that SMS text messaging “on” a ship is included in one of AT&T’s Global Messaging plans without additional charges-- is an erroneous assumption.

Currently, cellular service at sea (voice & text messaging) is provided by one of two specialized satellite carriers – (1) Wireless Maritime Services, LLC (WMS) -- www.cellularatsea.com/ and (2) On-Waves -- www.on-waves.com/ . For text messages, these carriers charge 50 cents to send a message and 10 cents for each message received. These carriers also charge $2.49/minute for voice calls – both sending and receiving. AT&T will re-bill these charges to your account, in addition to any usual AT&T charges.

Usually, the on-ship cellular service is activated within 15 – 20 minutes after leaving a port and deactivated when entering a port.

Your item #3 -- that SMS text messaging “on” a ship is included in one of AT&T’s Global Messaging plans without additional charges-- is an erroneous assumption.

Currently, cellular service at sea (voice & text messaging) is provided by one of two specialized satellite carriers – (1) Wireless Maritime Services, LLC (WMS) -- www.cellularatsea.com/ and (2) On-Waves -- www.on-waves.com/ . For text messages, these carriers charge 50 cents to send a message and 10 cents for each message received. These carriers also charge $2.49/minute for voice calls – both sending and receiving. AT&T will re-bill these charges to your account, in addition to any usual AT&T charges.

Usually, the on-ship cellular service is activated within 15 – 20 minutes after leaving a port and deactivated when entering a port.

You're correct about Global Messaging rates not applying on board - I misread what the AT&T rep. told me when I inquired about sending SMS. He was referring to rates off the ship. Thanks for noticing that.

As for receiving, AT&T's Holland America page says that incoming texts are charged "at domestic rates." I don't get charged for incoming texts domestically, so there shouldn't be a charge on the ship, either. I asked the AT&T rep about this specifically, and he confirmed that. To be honest, though, 10 cents a message is very small compared to the overall cost of the cruise.

My overall goal is to have a relatively inexpensive way to stay in touch while we're away, even if it's only to hear that our kids are OK every few days or so. If there are any reasonably-priced Wi-Fi access points on or off the ship, we can use Skype to make voice calls, too.

For Wifi other options in case Skype doesn't work.

WhatsApp is a texting app that will work over a WiFi or data network. Your Whatsapp number is your cellphone number. No charge to use if using over Wifi. You would get charged for data usage.

Touch is another texting app but you do not need a phone number to use. This one is good to use for iPods.

For Wifi other options in case Skype doesn't work.

WhatsApp is a texting app that will work over a WiFi or data network. Your Whatsapp number is your cellphone number. No charge to use if using over Wifi. You would get charged for data usage.

Touch is another texting app but you do not need a phone number to use. This one is good to use for iPods.

Thanks - that's good to know. Actually, I just looked at Holland America's connectivity page, and I see that paying for Internet access on board to make voice calls with Skype would be a lot cheaper than paying $2.50/minute via the cell network. The most expensive rate for Wi-Fi is $0.75/minute (pay as you go), and you can also buy blocks of time (250 minutes for $100.00, $0.40 per minute or 100 minutes for $55.00, $0.55 per minute). I've had pretty good luck with Skype, even with relatively low bandwidth.

I greatly appreciate everyone's contribution to this thread. Not only is it helping with my planning, but it may help other people who are also looking for ways to stay in touch electronically.

Don't count on Skype. It uses too much bandwidth that most cruise ships cannot handle. I've never been able to get Skype to work on any ship, although some say that if you call at 3am, when the computers aren't being used much, you might get through. I tried to use Skype on my Eurodam cruise on Dec 1 and it did not work.

We have AT&T also and my understanding is incoming texts are free (will confirm before trip to Caribbean). My quandary is that I am in the middle of job hunting and have a cruise at the end of January. My tentative plan is to purchase internet (package or pay as you go) and maybe get international calling if it includes calls TO the US.

Before we travel, I am going to set up a new email account to avoid all the ads etc that end up in my inbox (less time checking email). I will have my daughter check my email on my laptop at home and forward to this new account then text me to check email. Maybe include "important" in the text. Hopefully a less full inbox on the new account will mean a bit faster process of checking email at sea. Will then use Kindle Fire or internet cafe to check email.

Thoughts anyone?

Don't count on Skype. It uses too much bandwidth that most cruise ships cannot handle. I've never been able to get Skype to work on any ship, although some say that if you call at 3am, when the computers aren't being used much, you might get through. I tried to use Skype on my Eurodam cruise on Dec 1 and it did not work.

Well, that's disappointing. I guess I'll have to rely on SMS primarily.

We have AT&T also and my understanding is incoming texts are free (will confirm before trip to Caribbean). My quandary is that I am in the middle of job hunting and have a cruise at the end of January. My tentative plan is to purchase internet (package or pay as you go) and maybe get international calling if it includes calls TO the US.

Before we travel, I am going to set up a new email account to avoid all the ads etc that end up in my inbox (less time checking email). I will have my daughter check my email on my laptop at home and forward to this new account then text me to check email. Maybe include "important" in the text. Hopefully a less full inbox on the new account will mean a bit faster process of checking email at sea. Will then use Kindle Fire or internet cafe to check email.

Thoughts anyone?

I assume that you don't want to miss any emails from potential employers.

If you have no additional charges for incoming texts (which is my understanding, as outlined above), then your daughter can be fairly specific in her messages to you. That way, you'd have a better idea of the urgency with which you have to check your email.

I dont know how often you need to communicate back home, but many find it cost effective to use Internet Cafes in the various ports that you visit. Skype will work in such place as their bandwidth is not limited like that on the ship.

Rates for Internet Cafes is usually in the $1.00 per hour, or $1.00 per half hour.

These cafes are not hard to find....the crew from your ship will know where they are as they use them for the same purpose that you do.

Last...is there an iphone app called facetime? That would work over wifi in an internet cafe in port.

I assume that you don't want to miss any emails from potential employers.

If you have no additional charges for incoming texts (which is my understanding, as outlined above), then your daughter can be fairly specific in her messages to you. That way, you'd have a better idea of the urgency with which you have to check your email.

Exactly. A lot will depend on what happens in the next couple of weeks. :)

I dont know how often you need to communicate back home, but many find it cost effective to use Internet Cafes in the various ports that you visit. Skype will work in such place as their bandwidth is not limited like that on the ship.

Rates for Internet Cafes is usually in the $1.00 per hour, or $1.00 per half hour.

These cafes are not hard to find....the crew from your ship will know where they are as they use them for the same purpose that you do.

Last...is there an iphone app called facetime? That would work over wifi in an internet cafe in port.

I'll definitely seek out Internet cafes in places we visit.

FaceTime unfortunately only works with iOS devices and Macs, which would limit its utility communicating with some people.

Thanks.

Archived