Radios onboard

I am thinking about taking some of my better radios with me on my next trip . They are 5W max 36-174/400-480Mhz . Do you think these will be an issue onboard? Any recommendations on channels to use ? Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks!

I am thinking about taking some of my better radios with me on my next trip . They are 5W max 36-174/400-480Mhz . Do you think these will be an issue onboard? Any recommendations on channels to use ? Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks!

What do you plan on using them for? They will probably function like any other radio you might use on a ship, which means it will be hit or miss due to all the steel the ship is made from. They might interfere with the ships radio system but might not. You may wind up hearing everyone else that are using radios/walkie talkies as the channel spectrum is narrow. They may also not be legally used in some of the ports as you probably need a license to operate in whatever country you are in. While in port in another country your radios may interfere with local public safety frequencies.

One thing they will probably do if you use them on the ship is irritate those that are around you.

I'm not an expert on radio's by any means but do use them where I work and know the issues that I have with them at work. Hopefully someone with more radio expertise will chime in with better answers.

Thanks!

This seems to say you could:

Cruise Questions, Cruise FAQ - Royal Caribbean International Guests may reserve a set at the Guest Relations Desk, (price is subject to change). Guests are also allowed to have two-way radios, more commonly know as walkie-talkies, for onboard personal communications. Basic specifications are as follows: Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna.

Another thread had me thinking about bringing my handheld VHF radio to listen to in ports but was told in an online chat with a RCCL CS rep that "any transceiver that can operate in the VHF band is STRICTLY forbidden (ibid).

After reading the above I may contact RCCL again and see which is accurate.

This seems to say you could:

Another thread had me thinking about bringing my handheld VHF radio to listen to in ports but was told in an online chat with a RCCL CS rep that "any transceiver that can operate in the VHF band is STRICTLY forbidden (ibid).

After reading the above I may contact RCCL again and see which is accurate.

Somewhere on their website I've seen a specific ban on ham radios.

It appears to me the OP is talking about radio receivers, not two way or HAM radios of any kind (SW-short wave, common for long range receiving) Should be no problem.

Not sure about that Bill. The OP mentions "5W max", which is usually a term for transmitting power.

Hey guys and gals thanks for all your replies . Technically it is a Dual-Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM Ham Two Way Radio. I have used them in many places but never on a cruise ship . I intended on locking them into FRS frequencies and to not interfere with any ship board communications. On there website they post

" Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna"

Mine does not exceed any of those requirements . The intent is to keep in touch with my other party members . They have a silent vibrate feature so its not like ill be blasting it all the time . More along the lines of a big cell phone with no roaming charges :)

Thanks again !

Hey guys and gals thanks for all your replies . Technically it is a Dual-Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM Ham Two Way Radio. I have used them in many places but never on a cruise ship . I intended on locking them into FRS frequencies and to not interfere with any ship board communications. ...

Sounds like an interesting radio. Would you mind posting the make and model?

Ham radios of any type are strictly forbidden and will be confiscated if found. Anything that could possibly interfere or listen into ship channels is not allowed onboard.

Unless you can show where this is the policy, this just isn't true.

We travelled with a ham radio operator on our last cruise and he used his portable radio without issue.

-germ

Unless you can show where this is the policy, this just isn't true.

We travelled with a ham radio operator on our last cruise and he used his portable radio without issue.

-germ

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

It is right on the Prohibited Items list

Just because he got away with it does not mean it is allowed.

Edited by cruisnseas

The intent is to keep in touch with my other party members . They have a silent vibrate feature so its not like ill be blasting it all the time . More along the lines of a big cell phone with no roaming charges :)

Thanks again !

there are PLENTY of ways to keep in touch that WILL NOT cause disruption to your fellow passengers. the ones that RCI lets you rent are specifically coded to work on the ship. nearly anything else you bring on board will NOT without lots of static, or dropped signal. nobody cares about the vibrate feature.. its when you are shouting into it to be heard over the pool noise or to be heard by the other party in the VCL during quiet hours that your fellow passengers worry about.

there are PLENTY of ways to keep in touch that WILL NOT cause disruption to your fellow passengers. the ones that RCI lets you rent are specifically coded to work on the ship. nearly anything else you bring on board will NOT without lots of static, or dropped signal. nobody cares about the vibrate feature.. its when you are shouting into it to be heard over the pool noise or to be heard by the other party in the VCL during quiet hours that your fellow passengers worry about.

I am one of those quiet respectable passengers I assure you . I have headsets . they look like simple Bluetooth headsets to deal with such issues. I hate it when someone blares the radio . I don't want anyone else knowing my conversation as much as they don't want to have to listen to it :)

Ham radios of any type are strictly forbidden and will be confiscated if found. Anything that could possibly interfere or listen into ship channels is not allowed onboard.

This is not true. Anyone with a radio can listen to cruise ship traffic, and lots of people do it all the time. Radio communications are regulated by the FCC, and international agreements, and as long as you are in compliance, and not interfering with the communications of others (not just on the ship, but anyone in the world), courts have decided that private companies cannot overrule the FCC.

(SW-short wave, common for long range receiving) Should be no problem.

Actually it might. All ships still have HF Marine SSB equipment. While it is no longer the ship's primary long distance communication equipment it is there as backup for loss of satellite systems. Don't know but would guess it still gets some use. Ham shortwave equipment can transmit on the marine ssb frequencies and some sailors with ham licenses use theirs for SSB communication. The boat in my avatar came with a very nice Drake ham station built into a cabinet in the salon. Since I'm not a ham and had no idea how to use it I had it replaced with a SEA 222 SSB transceiver.

• 10 months later...

not to try to resurrect an ancient thread, but I'm crusing on RCCL in February and am also planning on taking my Baofeng's.

Did you take yours? Was there any issue with the cruise line? How well did they work? (I'd expect hit & miss out of 5w on the GMRS band on a cruise ship)

Somewhere on their website I've seen a specific ban on ham radios.

Ham rigs are expressly forbidden on NCL but in contrast HAL is very cooperative on the matter. Of course a receiver only is likely OK. What the RCL quote omits is a frequency range permitted, presumably they refer to FRS talkies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

Also note that most cruise ships are foreign flag so the regulations of that country apply onboard.

Edited by pspercy

Ham rigs are expressly forbidden on NCL but in contrast HAL is very cooperative on the matter. Of course a receiver only is likely OK. What the RCL quote omits is a frequency range permitted, presumably they refer to FRS talkies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

Also note that most cruise ships are foreign flag so the regulations of that country apply onboard.

This is the web page that mentions ham radios:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

• 1 month later...

Those are old rules and were designed for the Amateur HF Rigs.

Sadly it has never been updated. And they (Security) would not now the difference in a portable FRS/GMRS vs a commercial or Amateur radio.

Amateur Radio will not typically interfere with modern cruise ship VHF Marine and/or internal UHF Ops. FRS/GMRS have more of a change to interfere.

Generally a portable will not cause any issues. My last cruise, the Cabin Steward saw/heard my Scanner (in the cabinet) and I had a one-on-one with Security explaining it did not transmit. I'm brining mine again on the next cruise, however as always YMMV

Listening is not a prohibition. :rolleyes: It's even fun as we listen/watch for the late-runners

The ship staff wireless communication network is what cruise staff use for intra ship communication which is basically a VOIP system for ships communication with outside world is mostly digital the only reason I could see them using ham radio is incase the system broke down