Beginner question... scuba vs snorkel vs snuba?

muestafa1

Hi ! My Fiancée and I will be taking a western Caribbean cruise (cozumel, costa maya, belize, grand cayman)in six weeks for our honeymoon. We both have strong swimming backgrounds but have not dived or snorkeled before. We’re trying to plan our excursions and were wondering what kind of options we had (knowing that we lack diving certification). Are we pretty much confined to snorkel or snuba excursions or do they have any dives for beginners that are also fun? I have always perceived scuba diving as being much more advantageous than snorkeling, but I’m sure those of you who have done both will be able to speak with a much greater authority. Our only experiences with snorkeling have been in a backyard pool with equipment that didn't fit right, so I think our perception might be tainted... Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Scuba, snuba, snorkeling... I would bet you would have fun with all of them. You can try scuba with a "discover scuba" excursion even if you are not certified.

Do the ship's discover scuba shore excursion in a port; do a snuba excursion in a port; and spend some time snorkeling. If you like scuba, look into getting certified. Try it all and find out what you like best.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You will learn more about cruising here that just about anywhere else I have found.

You will find that getting mask that fits properly to be a big factor in how much you enjoy your underwater experience. Not much else ruins the fun more than a mask that leaks because it doesn't fit well.

Personally, I'd recommend the discover scuba, but probably not thru the ship. You will probably be able to save a bit of $ if you make your own arrangements.

Of the islands you are visiting, Cozumel would be my choice for discover scuba. http://www.eagleraydivers.com if often recommended to cruisers for diving/snorkeling trips. I have only read good things about http://www.scubawithalison.com as well. I personally have gone out with http://www.bluextseadiving.com and really recommend Christi's operation.

On Grand Cayman you could try out snorkeling on a trip to see the stingrays. Lots of private operators go there as well as the ship's excursion. Private is definitely the way to go. It means a less crowded experience for less money. Check the Cayman Islands section for recommendation on who to use there. Some of the operators that go to stingray city also stop at some shallow reefs for more actual snorkeling, this is the kind of trip you want.

Finally, Congratulations on your up coming wedding. I wish you all the best.

Why don't you try a Discover Scuba class at your local dive or sports shop.....They can help you get fitted for the mask/snorkel for both snorkeling and scuba diving....Then if you like it, you can certified before your cruise and really enjoy it by diving at some of these wonderful spots.... It's a good try...... :D

The advantage of scuba over snorkeling is dependent on the depth of the water. At shallow reefs, snorkeling is better. Scuba gives you much better access to all dive sites (deep dives).

I agree with bruce-r that independently booked excursions are best and cheapest. At Grand Cayman, book a snorkel cruise with Captain Marvin to Stingray City and Barrier Reef. He has several nice boats that take about 20 people. We were fortunate enough on a recent 5 day stay at Grand Cayman to get on a boat that Captain Marvin himself was the captain. He is almost 90 years old, but he is so nice and works so hard to make your trip enjoyable. He cooked us a tasty lunch while we snorkeled at the first stop.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Consensus is to book independent excursions. Usually, I would agree. However, with a "discover scuba" class I don't really see much advantage of going independent other than maybe saving a small amount. No matter how you do a "discover scuba" class, it should be a MAX 4 divers to a dive instructor. Personally, for a "discover scuba" excursion, I'd go through the ship just for convenience even if it is a couple bucks more (figure in a possible taxi, gear rental, unknowns, etc. with an independent).

Cruzegirl makes a good point. A good mask can be the difference in a great time and a miserable one either diving, snuba'ing, or snorkeling.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!! We'll be buying masks and "waterless" snorkels before we head out on our trip! We're putting together our itinerary now and are very excited, especially after reading your suggestions and looking at some of the dive/snorkel operator web sites. Thanks again!

Neil

Thanks everyone for the great advice!! We'll be buying masks and "waterless" snorkels before we head out on our trip! We're putting together our itinerary now and are very excited, especially after reading your suggestions and looking at some of the dive/snorkel operator web sites. Thanks again!

Neil

I hope you have a wonderful time. I took my first cruise on the Island Princess in April and had a fabulous "Discover Scuba" experience! I have lot's of experience snorkeling in the Carribean,so both should be fun!! PS If you have any vision issues there are some great generic prescription masks, that made a HUGE difference for me! bon voyage!

You have six weeks..... I know you are busy getting ready for the wedding, but if you can...get certified at home. That way you have proper fitting gear and you can enjoy Cozumel and Grand CAyman.

What ship are you going out on and what dates?

You sound like you are going out close to our trip on the Explorer of the Seas.

Archived