Norwegian winter coastal voyage

elcow

Has anyone made this trip at end of February Can you advise footwear!!

Clothes we understand but not sure what we would wear on deck and presume boots with grips for land visits.

The link below is about clothing but includes information about footwear, too. I am going the in early March so had lots of questions. I have bought snow boots and am still deciding about a pair of lace up boots with good treads that I already have. I need to wear them a couple of days to make sure they're really comfortable for walking.

And, yes as my screen name says, I really do love Scotland - would love to live there for 6 months to a year but that's not likely. So, I visit in person when I can and via webcams when I can't.

Beth

You can see my thread below a few threads down, but here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1717572

Try this sort of thing - rubber grips with little spikes in that you can stretch over normal walking shoes or boots. They instantly change the conditions form ice rink to walking normally. (All the car tyres in the north have similar little spikes.)

http://www.amazon.com/ICEtrekkers-Shoe-Spikes-Pair-XX-Large/dp/B002C4BTGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357304271&sr=8-1&keywords=shoe+spikes

I'm sure you've already worked out that you need stout waterproof shoes.

I just returned from a Dec 27 round trip on the Midnatsol. The temp was around 0 degrees centigrade most of the time. We had clear weather, rain, and snow, so I wore various kinds of shoes, depending on what I was doing and the weather. I had leather hiking boots that I wore most of the time. They are water proof and I used shoe "chains" when I was on shore and the ground was icy. I also had a walking/hiking stick when on shore to help me not slip. When it was cold on deck, I often wore insulated snow shoes - they were easier to put on than the hiking boots, warmer than my regular shoes, and water proof. If I went on deck for a short time, I generally just wore my regular shoes. I went in the Jacuzzi every day, and wish I had flip flops - I forgot to bring them.

The trip was absolutely fabulous, and I'll eventually write a review.

RSF Cruiser, I'm really glad you had a good time!

My footwear experience is already in the link provided by ILoveScotland. I'm really interested in the spiked grips suggested by dsrdsrdsr (RSF cruiser, is it the kind of thing you call "shoe chains"?).

My footwear experience is already in the link provided by ILoveScotland. I'm really interested in the spiked grips suggested by dsrdsrdsr (RSF cruiser, is it the kind of thing you call "shoe chains"?).

Just when I thought I had everything I'd need and had decided against the spikes for my boots I read this about walking on ice. Hmmm. maybe I need to make one more purchase.

I also hadn't thought about what it would be like on deck, but wearing my lightweight and very comfy snow boots makes since.

Thanks to everyone for continuing information. I'm now only 7 weeks away from my adventure!

Beth

Shoe chains are similar to, but slightly different from the spikes. Both fit over your existing shoes, the spikes have metal "studs" sticking out that grip the ice/snow. The snow chains have a twisted/curled string of metal that does the same thing as the spikes. I wore the snow chains and they worked perfectly. Never wore the spikes, so I can't make a comparison. My daughter bought mine for me for about $20. I just did a google search and found several different models. Here's a link to one that looks pretty similar to mine: http://www.jensonusa.com/!GPPeVLStNWSE!BRkVFd3PA!/Yaktrax-Pro-Ice-Grips-For-Shoe?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CPylx7mZ3rQCFcaDQgod6g0A0w The thing I like about the shoe chains in this link is they have a strap for over your boot. Sometimes, if I didn't have the shoe chains on high enough over my boots, they did fall off. Fortunately, I always found them!

Shoe chains are similar to, but slightly different from the spikes. Both fit over your existing shoes, the spikes have metal "studs" sticking out that grip the ice/snow. The snow chains have a twisted/curled string of metal that does the same thing as the spikes. I wore the snow chains and they worked perfectly. Never wore the spikes, so I can't make a comparison. My daughter bought mine for me for about $20. I just did a google search and found several different models. Here's a link to one that looks pretty similar to mine: http://www.jensonusa.com/!GPPeVLStNWSE!BRkVFd3PA!/Yaktrax-Pro-Ice-Grips-For-Shoe?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CPylx7mZ3rQCFcaDQgod6g0A0w The thing I like about the shoe chains in this link is they have a strap for over your boot. Sometimes, if I didn't have the shoe chains on high enough over my boots, they did fall off. Fortunately, I always found them!

I have terrible balance so decided to see if I could find the shoe chains or spikes.

I do a lot of shopping (actually most of my shopping except groceries) online through the USAirways website. I earn airmiles which add up overa period of time especially when I send flowers (got 25 miles per $1 spent in November).

Any, I found yaktrax at drugstore.com for $14.95. I'll buy some paper products or something which I always need so I can get my order up over $25 and not only earn 3 miles per $1 spent but have free shipping, too.

Beth

Archived