Insurance policy refund??

trose27

Hi,

My DH and I were booked on a theme group cruise to take place this Feb. on the NCL Epic. Arrangements were made through a group booking agent which we were directed to via the host of the cruise. I purchased trip insurance for both of us and paid in full at the time of booking. In early November we were informed that the cruise was cancelled due to miscommunication between the cruise planners, the host and NCL and that we could expect a full refund. The refund check came today, LESS the insurance amount. Is the this norm? Why should we have to pay to insure a cruise that will never happen by no fault or decision of our own? The TA did not provide insurance docs, nor explain that this was the policy. Planning to contact them first thing in the morning!

Thanks for any input!!

Hi,

My DH and I were booked on a theme group cruise to take place this Feb. on the NCL Epic. Arrangements were made through a group booking agent which we were directed to via the host of the cruise. I purchased trip insurance for both of us and paid in full at the time of booking. In early November we were informed that the cruise was cancelled due to miscommunication between the cruise planners, the host and NCL and that we could expect a full refund. The refund check came today, LESS the insurance amount. Is the this norm? Why should we have to pay to insure a cruise that will never happen by no fault or decision of our own? The TA did not provide insurance docs, nor explain that this was the policy. Planning to contact them first thing in the morning!

Thanks for any input!!

The fact that the insurance refund didn't come with the cruise refund isn't necessarily mean there's not going to be a refund (assuming that a third-party insurer was used, not the cruise line's insurance). The insurance would be 100% non-refundable after a "free look" period of 10 days or so. After that you're not going to get your money back normally.

However, most insurers are pretty good about working with the TA in these sorts of situations. Over the years I never had an insurer not make a refund in cases where the cruise line and/or the TA cancelled the trip (not the client) but some paperwork was always required -- a signed letter from the client requesting the refund and stating that no claim will ever be made against the policy and a letter from the TA agreeing to give back the commission on the sale and explaining the reasons for the cancellation. Then it has to be approved by the insurance company's management and OK'd by the underwriter. This can take some time.

So don't assume that the insurance can't or won't be refunded until you have had a chance to talk to the TA and find out what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled on this -- I knew I had a copy somewhere but just couldn't find it:

http://www.travelsafe.com/doc/PRRFForm.pdf

As you can see, under the conditions the OP describes TravelSafe at least would refund the premium amount. The others that I know of will do it also but this was about the only thing I can find in writing.

I also found this in an older copy of their Travel Agent Guide:

"Premium Refunds: Refundable up to penalty period upon request by Travel Agent"

By the way, when they say "Premium Amount" they normally do not include the $6 - $8 per policy admin fee that just about all of the insurers charge. They're keeping that for their trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you all know that I did in fact get the premium refund last week! The travel agent said she had to do some ranting with the cruise line to make it happen, which was fine with me!

I have learned that in the future I won't take the cruise line insurance, but purchase it from an independent vendor...lesson learned, but a happy ending nonetheless!!

The travel agent said she had to do some ranting with the cruise line to make it happen, which was fine with me!

The TA is supposed to be your advocate in these types of situations so if a proper resolution requires a little "ranting" so be it. But some are definitely do not have the personality to do it. How many others in that group had their cruise cancelled but the TA didn't fight for their refund too? I'd bet a few.

Glad you got your refund.

Archived