SOS to BearBait PLEASE and THANK YOU

starr52

BQ suggested I ask you abt this excursion. We are sailing on Saturday so any response you could give would be most appreciated.

KHUTZEYMATEEN GRIZZLY BEAR VIEWING BY BOAT

Tour Code: PRR-009

Approximate Duration: 6 hours

Level 1 / Meal / Outerwear

Not available after July 31

This is the tour we pre booked , you think no bears that early in the season , I assume???? Perhaps other wildlife though???? It is a long tour and pricey so am not sure now what to do.

Thanks for your input

:o Budget Queen saw BEARS in May. Now says no Bears in June.

I think June = Bears! :D I'm sticking with June and a cruise full of wildlife.

Don't get yourself worked up... you'll be beary sorry! :cool: Think positive... I am... too late for anything else. NCL has no naturalist, so I better see some bears! :p

The date isn't the big problem (though mid-July through mid-September in the best time to see coastal bears), it's the fact that cruise excursions don't get to go into the good bear area. From the sanctuary Web site: "The ultimate purpose of this area is to protect the north coast grizzly bear by preserving a part of the ecosystem in which they live. Because of this area’s high sensitivity and strict conservation orientation, visitor use is not encouraged. However, a limited amount of controlled viewing is allowed under permit. "

I checked it out in detail a few weeks ago, and only 2 companies have the permits to go into the good bear area - all tours available are much longer than any ship stays in Prince Rupert.

Murray

:o Budget Queen saw BEARS in May. Now says no Bears in June.

I think June = Bears! :D I'm sticking with June and a cruise full of wildlife.

Don't get yourself worked up... you'll be beary sorry! :cool: Think positive... I am... too late for anything else. NCL has no naturalist, so I better see some bears! :p

I saw bears for a minute of viewing on the Klondike Highway and in Glacier Bay with binoclulars (no one else saw them until I yelled it out), hardly a tour. This is a brief window of opportunity out of Skagway in May, they aren't around later for viewing from the road. I still say, likely little if any viewing in June. Which is the norm for the inside passage.

I give Murray's assessment the bottom line, he is the expert here.

There's a difference between spotting the occasional shoreline or roadside bear and having the bears come to where people are waiting for them.

When the salmon run, you know where the bears will be. So even though there are bears in May and early June, you can't go to the platform over the river and watch them eat, because their fish aren't there yet. I believe that's what they mean about good bear viewing time.

I would have to agree that June is not the best time for a "bear viewing"

excursion. Sure, by chance, you can see them about anytime after they

come out of hibernation until they go back in. But most "BEAR TOURS' take

you to places where the tour operators know you will have a good chance of

seeing them. Neets Bay is located by a major salmon hatchery. Same with the

Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary at Herring Cove. The others usually have some type

of natural barrier where the fish pool up as they try to navigate there way up

stream such as at Traitors Cove. Most good tour operators check these conditions and will not start their tours until they see fish and bears in the area.

I would not go on a bear viewing tour in May or June if that is the only reason

you are going. The odds just aren't very good and I would question the motive

of the tour operators.....

Archived