Have I made a mistake?

twojays

We have just booked our first cruise, and the cabin we have been allocated is second from the front, port, deck 6, with a balcony.

I thought this sounded great - but reading comments on this board, I am wondering if I have made a mistake. Will I feel a lot of motion. My husband wont be affected but I'm not a particularly good traveller - although I am determined to enjoy my first cruise!

Any suggestions?:cool:

The most motion is in the front of the ship. It does depend on where you are sailing and what type of seas you will be hitting at that time. I have sailed in the front and it wasn't to bad but this was in Alaska where the waters were calmer along the inside passage. The best place is the mid ship lower deck. You should get Bonine which is a seasick pill. They work great they do not make you sleepy and you can have drinks with them. I usually get seasick and I do great with that medicine.

If you do get seasick you can always get a shot from the doctor and you will feel better in a couple hours.

I got seasick on my first cruise it didn't last the entire cruise and I still had a wonderful time so go and enjoy and I am sure you will be back on the high seas again and you can pick a different cabin next time. Don't worry you will have a great time. You will get addicted.

Enjoy, if you are determined to have a good time you will don't let a little motion sickness get to you it is still better than being at home.

In March, I was on my first cruise. Our cabin was starboard side, in between midship and forward. LOVED the location; almost motionless. If there is motion, you feel it primarily in the bathroom. The cabins are pretty stable.

I like being forward - felt like we were in the lead to wherever we were headed.

Get a patch from your doctor. They're great! Some people say they get drowsy or blurred vision, but I had no trouble. Otherwise, Bonine is the answer. Specifically Bonine, not Dramamine or anything else.

You'll love it!

JPatryak... Thanks for your message - it was very re-assuring - and I am now looking forward to our cabin position.

I will take your advice about the patch or Bronine - not heard of it before, but will go and check it out.:)

You can also get sea bands. They're little pressure point dots on stretch bands you wear on your wrist. We used these when we sailed with Ivan the hurricane and it made a world of difference. I found a number of the crew wearing the same thing too.

Also, if you get there and find the cabin is not working out, if the ship is not full you can request to be switched to another location.

Front balcony is not my preference, I prefer aft myself but faced with no balcony, I'll take front!

twojays: If you are in the UK you will not have heard of Bonine as that is a product marketing name used in the USA. I believe the UK equivalent is Sea-Legs but if you check with your doctor or chemist it is meclozine that you're looking for. I'm going on my first cruise (W. Med) this summer too and as I made a late booking I'm also in mid-forward cabin so will be looking to take the same thing with me - just in case!!

In March, I was on my first cruise. Our cabin was starboard side, in between midship and forward. LOVED the location; almost motionless. If there is motion, you feel it primarily in the bathroom. The cabins are pretty stable.

I like being forward - felt like we were in the lead to wherever we were headed.

Get a patch from your doctor. They're great! Some people say they get drowsy or blurred vision, but I had no trouble. Otherwise, Bonine is the answer. Specifically Bonine, not Dramamine or anything else.

You'll love it!

I was wondering...Why is Bonine better than Dramamine? I get seasick and always have to take something. The patches work great, but my vision gets very blurry and I usually have trouble with one of my eyes dilating...:eek: Anyway, I usually use Dramamine every 4 hours and still feel a bit sick. I do love to cruise though, so I continue to go! Thanks for any info you can give me on the difference between Bonine and Dramamine!:D

to "heyheypaula" - I don't know why Bonine seems to work better. Years ago, my best friend had a 37 ft boat which I spent a lot of time on. Her recommendation was Bonine. Specifically Bonine, not Dramamine. It worked, so I never questioned.

:) I must add my two cents concerning this product! As the proud parent of a gager (aka puker). Sorry there is no other way to put it. This anti emetic truly works. Our youngest would remind us every 6 to 8 hrs that it was time to take our medicine. It truly works. Please trust me he has "blown chow" in several states of the US of A. It is just a part of our lives. He never was even the slighest bit queasy. A great time was had by all. You can always purchase it and not use it.

I also use Bonine and have never gotten sick on a cruise. My first one was in very rough seas--waves were hitting my Empress deck window! I am very sensitive to motion and feel queasy in movies that "zoom around" too much! The Bonine works great for me! (Hmmm--may try taking it before my next visit to the movies!)

You have all convinced me that Bonine is the only thing to take for possible sea-sickness on a cruise.

Although we are in the UK, and we cannot get Bonine here, my friend's brother lives in New York. So they are going to ask him to get some and post it to me.

I'm feeling better already!!

Thanks to you all for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading these posts I am anxious to try Bonine. I have tried Dramamine (felt like a space cadet) and still felt a little queezy (no lunch blowing just queezy). I've done the patch. After walking around with cottonmouth and the little orphan Annie look for a week, vowed not to do it again. That was a very strange feeling.

Can you take Bonine for a week with no problem?

I am surprised no one has mentioned Ginger for seasickness. I heard about it on the Carnival board and used it on my last cruise. It works great, and no side effects! Also comes in handy for hang overs! ;) You can get it in the vitamin/supplement aisle at Wal-Mart. I used to use Bonine, now I am a Ginger girl!

......You can get it in the vitamin/supplement aisle at Wal-Mart. I used to use Bonine, now I am a Ginger girl!

Thank you BoatGirl! I have Ginger on my list to buy before we leave Sunday for our cruise and was just thinking about where to buy some when I saw your post. Looks like another trip to Wally World tomorrow........

I have gotten motion sickness since I was a tiny kid and have cruised successfully with a few tips:

1st: I use the pressure point bands - no side effects, recommended by my doctor, no medication is administered just "traditional" medical theory with accupressure points

2nd: my doctor does NOT recommend the patch! It pumps a ton of medicine into you and can actually cause nausea!

3rd: I use dramamine rather than bonine, but that is due to Price Club selling it in bulk. I have only ever had to use it on a ship after taking the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel - watch out for that boat!

4th: I recommend cabins mid ship and back! I have been all the way back and been great. My parents had a cabin in the front of the ship and I could not even go visit them there it was so rocky.

Feel free to ask any questions on my thoughts! Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your thoughts DancerOT.

Our cabin is at the front - and so we will live with that!

Bonnine is in the post for me - so I will take that.

Ginger also has been recommended, so I might take that as well.

The wrist bands you mentioned also seem quite popular, so I am considering getting those.

Other than that - I am looking forward to the cruise.

By the way - your name caught my interest - we do ballroom dancing - modern and latin, and also a bit of salsa. do you ?

When we cruised last year (October), my daughter's roommate went with us. Her mother warned us that, although she'd never cruised, she regularly got sick on planes and they were worried as to whether she'd get sick on the ship. After reading all the posts, we used Bonine. She took her first pill the night BEFORE we left (read that on a post, too). From then on, she took one every morning, and at times used wrist bands, too. She had no side effects and no problems, even when we hit rough seas the last day or two, and the girls had a great trip, including partying every night at the disco. I'm a true believer!!

Bonine and Sea Bands.

I cruised last year with Ivan. 40' waves. If it had not been for these two items, I wouldn't have made it! After an hour of feeling green I took a pill, laid down, dozed, and when I woke up I was just fine. Not once after that did I feel sick and believe me, there were TONS of people being sick all over the ship.

I am a believer! Bonine and Sea Bands.

I am one of those unfortunate folks that are really sensitive to motion (have been all my life). After thoroughly reading everything I could about seasickness in preparation for my first cruise (2002, carnival conquest) I got a room midship and regulary took bonine and wore seabands. Unexpectantly, I was still nauseated a 90% of the cruise. I might as well have been in a canoe! Not to be defeated I tried it again (2004, mariner of the seas). First three days we had rough seas and I was so nauseated I couldn't keep anything down but ginger ale, crackers, and apple slices. From the moment I board until I get off the ship (regardless of the motion of the ocean) I am always slightly queezy. At this point I've just accepted this as part of my cruise experience!! And I am boarding Freedom of the Seas on 11/12/06 and Sapphire Princess (Alaska) in 2008. I am going to try ginger pills this next cruise. Maybe eventually I will find something that my body will respond to...but in the meantime...I'm just gonna continue to have a good time, go with the flow and roll with the motion of the ocean! Enjoy your cruises!

Archived