Tuna Fish .....

sail7seas

If it not Albacore Tuna I will not eat the other stuff and all I seen on Holland is the other stuff. As for taking food on board, I pack my own salad dressings, the stuff Holland provides has way to many preservatives.

I have been known to bring small cans of low sodium V-8....I love tomato juice and V-8..but just cannot tolerate all the sodium...and when you are on a ship you are usually consuming a lot more sodium than you would at home:):):)

We had smoked fish, though not every day, on our last cruise on the Maasdam during the summer. I've never seen the tuna, but I wouldn't be looking for it.

Like others, my spouse eats salmon many nights at dinner in the MDR. Our tablemates and the stewards would laugh at his rather predictable regimen: soup, salad, the every day salmon with a plate of steamed veggies (we'd share) and usually a fruit plate for dessert.

You guessed it, he lost weight on the cruise! I only gained 3 pounds in a month, so I thought I did pretty well. I had lattes (skim, of course), dessert most nights, and varied the main course. I applaud DH's discipline, but it seemed boring after a few days.

Wife and I have been on a weight loss program since last March w/ good results. One of the staples of that has been 100 calorie pkgs of tuna salad (light, not albacore) made by starkist. When combined with 4 decent sized crackers from a company called Ak-Mak (made in CA) that ends up being a filling 180 calorie lunch.

We took both the crackers and the tuna pkts or our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and had them in our cabin for lunch 4 of the 7 days. Helped to alleviate the temptation in the Lido. High in protein and relatively low in fat, perhaps a bit high on sodium and mercury, but hey, the weight was gonna kill me first *S*

I used to see but solid white albacore in water and got a real nice piece of 6 oz fish. Now it's 5 oz and it's whatever they can stuff in a can. Maybe it's the popularity of grilled rare tuna or sushi that has affected what you can get canned but I don't eat it anymore.

Wife and I have been on a weight loss program since last March w/ good results. One of the staples of that has been 100 calorie pkgs of tuna salad (light, not albacore) made by starkist. When combined with 4 decent sized crackers from a company called Ak-Mak (made in CA) that ends up being a filling 180 calorie lunch.

We took both the crackers and the tuna pkts or our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and had them in our cabin for lunch 4 of the 7 days. Helped to alleviate the temptation in the Lido. High in protein and relatively low in fat, perhaps a bit high on sodium and mercury, but hey, the weight was gonna kill me first *S*

I love those Ak Mak crackers. I think I might bring them along with the tuna fish. My nutririonist suggested I can also put a very small amount of peanut butter on them and that would be the protein. I'm emphasizing SMALL. That means a teaspoon, not a tablespoon. Peanut butter is available in the Lido for breakfast.AM I really bringing my own food on a cruise?

What is wrong with this picture?

It has been suggested I bring my own tuna fish.

jbhcw brings vegetable juice.

Someone else said they bring crackers.

Carol is bringing crackers and peanut butter.......

ON A CRUISE? We need to bring groceries?

I wish there was a 'shaking her head' emoticon I could enter here.

Carol...where do you find Ak Mak crackers? I have to go to Fresh Market today...I will check there as they have a lot of unusual things.

Judy...I, too, will bring tuna packets. Won't take up much room in the luggage and I'd rather have the tuna I like than suffer with sub-standard tuna on the ship.

I enjoy good coffee...so I'm bringing the Starbucks instant packets, too! I can ask Room Service for a pot of hot water and I'll be good to go! Or, get it in the Lido or MDR.

Heck, I may even throw in some Low Sodium V8 that I drink at home!

I used to see but solid white albacore in water and got a real nice piece of 6 oz fish. Now it's 5 oz and it's whatever they can stuff in a can. Maybe it's the popularity of grilled rare tuna or sushi that has affected what you can get canned but I don't eat it anymore.

I totally agree...I still eat the solid white albacore but it is not what it used to be...I used to open a can...separate the pieces of tuna..put a little mayo on toast with lettuce and it was a wonderful sandwich.. the taste was so good you really did not need the mayo....the quality is just not there...at least not what I have been buying...I want to say Carnation or Bumble Bee used to have a good brand.

Love Trader Joe's...so will try Sail's tuna from there...TJ's has the best Dijon mustard I've ever had...both dh and I love it...and it's not expensive at all!!

Loving this thread as I am an aging foodie!!

Carol...where do you find Ak Mak crackers? I have to go to Fresh Market today...I will check there as they have a lot of unusual things.

Judy...I, too, will bring tuna packets. Won't take up much room in the luggage and I'd rather have the tuna I like than suffer with sub-standard tuna on the ship.

I enjoy good coffee...so I'm bringing the Starbucks instant packets, too! I can ask Room Service for a pot of hot water and I'll be good to go! Or, get it in the Lido or MDR.

Heck, I may even throw in some Low Sodium V8 that I drink at home!

Sheila,

If you have Stop and Shop near you, they carry AK Mak crackers.

<snip>

Love Trader Joe's...so will try Sail's tuna from there...TJ's has the best Dijon mustard I've ever had...both dh and I love it...and it's not expensive at all!!

Loving this thread as I am an aging foodie!!

While you're at Trader Joe's, pick up a jar of Red Pepper Spread with eggplant and garlic. Delicious on a cracker. Low fat, low calorie, -0- cholesterol. :)

Are we starting the 'NEW' Lido?

I have an image of a number of us getting our table in Lido, picking up a salad and then taking out our HAL (washable) tote bags and pulling out our packets of tuna fish or cans from Trader Joes, our crackers, V-8 Juice and eating our picnic lunch. BYO food for a cruise ship.

Whoa........ If this wasn't a little real it would be very funny. :eek: :rolleyes:

There are plenty of lo-cal choice already on board. Also shaking my head. Plus "lo-cal" is far more portion size than content anyway. Maybe the better choice would be for HAL to post calorie counts on their menus, like in fast food places.

Sheila, we've found them in several but not all super markets. I like the Sesame kind. They are made with whole wheat and are low fat. Also, no cholesterol. 5 crackers equals 100 calories.

Sheila, we've found them in several but not all super markets. I like the Sesame kind. They are made with whole wheat and are low fat. Also, no cholesterol. 5 crackers equals 100 calories.

Thanks, Carol. I will look when I go out this afternoon.

My thoughts exactly. I do try to eat healthy, but there is no way I am bringing any food with me on a cruise. If you can't find something you like that is reasonably good for you on a cruise ship, you're just not trying.

Have you considered dropping some fishing line off the back of the ship and trying to catch a tuna...? You could make your own tunafish sandwich...

You might have to declare it to Customs when you return though... I'd check their web-site first...

Click here: uscustoms-caughtatuna.gov

Have you considered dropping some fishing line off the back of the ship and trying to catch a tuna...? You could make your own tunafish sandwich...

You might have to declare it to Customs when you return though... I'd check their web-site first...

Oh, Kevin, you're too funny!

I have thought about bringing my own breakfast cereal, but so far have resisted. Normal cereals have too many carbs, not enough fiber and way too much sugar for me and I've never seen my Fiber One on board. So, the grocery list gets a little longer.

:D I wonder if anybody has ever tried fishing off a cruiseship?

Just got off the 14 day Maasdam. My lovely 10 yo daughter ate tuna paninis for lunch almost the entire cruise. There were many people in the sandwich line ordering the tuna. I didn't try it but I can't imagine it was too bad if my kiddo actually ate it lol

I have thought about bringing my own breakfast cereal, but so far have resisted. Normal cereals have too many carbs, not enough fiber and way too much sugar for me and I've never seen my Fiber One on board. So, the grocery list gets a little longer.

HAL bran muffins are good - certainly more calories than Fiber One, but they don't need butter. The dried figs from the YumYum man help boost fiber too.

On the Ryndam last year they were featuring their Chef's Council new offerings and one was a seared ahi dish with horse-radish mashed potatoes - it was the best dinner I have had on HAL, and close to anywhere else too. It was wonderfully done and just the right combo of texture, flavor and visual appeal. Hope this becomes a standard. ... and that it is executed with the same care we had on that ship.

Archived