RCL Jewel of the Seas vs. Carnival Valor for S. Caribbean Cruise??

hunter6009

We are looking at 2 different cruises in May to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary w/ our kids (8 and 5). I'm inclined to spend a little more $, and get a smaller room, and book with RCL b/c of the reviews. I've also been on a similar ship so it's what I "know". However, I can get much more for my $ on Carnival. Is that b/c it's not as nice, or just priced better??

Any thoughts??

Jewel OTS vs. Carnival Valor......hands down Jewel OTS!!! I love that class of ship, and it still has the rock climbing wall, mini golf, etc. Just does not have the flow rider. Adventure Ocean is great...some like it better than Camp Carnival. I find the food to be better on RCCL than Carnival.....not by much. The tipping point for me would be the decor of the ships and the layout of the ships. Jewel has a much better layout than the Valor. IMHO.

Thanks!! But $1000 better to go on RCCL? Ugh! I think I found a deal that MAY save me $500, so it might be the difference of $500 which I may be able to live with but $1000 buys me the airfare. Is Carnival just awful? Would we hate it? I've only been on Disney and RCCL.....

I've not been on Jewel (will be in 2014), but I've been on her sister, Serenade. You'll note from my signature I've also cruised on Carnival Valor...twice in fact.

There will likely be more kids on the Carnival Cruise. We didn't have many kids with us on Serenade when we cruised during the school year. I think most RCL fans who are cruising with kids tend toward the bigger ships, because they think their kids will have a better time with all the WOW factor stuff. If your kids are social, they might prefer Carnival for that reason. My youngest (not so young anymore!) prefers smaller ships, but everyone has their own taste.

Cabins are a little larger on Carnival and have bathrobes in the cabins.

You'll have a great time whichever ship you choose. The southern Caribbean is awesome!

A disclaimer: I cruised Valor when she was BRAND new. In my experience, Carnival isn't as good at ship maintenance as Royal. I'd check the dry dock schedule to see when Valor was last spruced up.

We are looking at 2 different cruises in May to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary w/ our kids (8 and 5). I'm inclined to spend a little more $, and get a smaller room, and book with RCL b/c of the reviews. I've also been on a similar ship so it's what I "know". However, I can get much more for my $ on Carnival. Is that b/c it's not as nice, or just priced better??

Any thoughts??

I would judge it based on the itinerary. Both ships will have great kid's activities but remember this is your special anniversary. The Valor underwent a dry dock in February 2011.

The Jewel also underwent a dry dock in the spring of 2011. She is not scheduled to have any major upgrades until 2015.

Archived