How close to the cruise can I buy insurance?

dread_pirate

No issues on pre-existing conditions or cancel for any reason or any other waivers. We're traveling in a couple of weeks, and my d may have a new job and have to cancel (yes, I know we'll lose her fare). But just in case, I don't want to buy insurance and lose that money, too.

My primary concern is weather-related: storms may cause her to miss embarkation, so I want to have insurance so she could meet up with the ship.

How close can I cut it with companies like Travelex and CSA?

You can purchase insurance pretty much any time up to the day before departure. That being said, if the weatherman is calling for a huge blizzard the next day, purchasing insurance the prior day isn't going to go over too well and may lead to a claim denial.

Purchase the insurance as soon as you are pretty sure you are going.

All insurers have a "free look" period (usually 10 days) wherein the premium is 100% refundable for any reason. So if the plan you want has a 10 day free look period I'd buy it 10 days before sailing even if the job situation is still up in the air. Either you get the job and cancel the cruise (and cancel the insurance to get the premium back) or you have the coverage in place for any storm-related losses.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question along these lines as well.

I don't need the pre-existing conditions covered either. Do need cancel for work reasons, i.e. and employer denies vacation time at last minute. Plus fairly good medical coverage.

I made first deposit about 1 month ago on a Celebrity cruise for the end of Sept.

I would like to book independent air in the next couple of months.

I would like to buy insurance that covers the air and the cruise.

Can I buy it at final payment time in June and still have air and cruise covered?

Thanks for all your responses! Good news - she got the time off!

Travel Guard Gold includes cancel for work reason. Would this cover the daughter?

It would, but I believe that you have to buy it within 30 days of deposit. So that won't work.

I ended up going with Travelex so she'll have someone to help her out in case she gets stranded by snow!

Archived