Help with stores closing in Curacao

dbrucern

Early like 5-6? We had the same issue on the miracle 2 years ago. We took a tour off the ship and by the time we were done, the stores were closed. It's my most favorite place in the caribbean, and I wanna go back. There's a cool area near the port with some high end shopping and places to have drinks. It's near the rif fort! Enjoy curaçao!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned Thursday after a week stay on the island. The stores do close early. Some as early as 5:30 in Punda. I think Rif Fort stayed open til 7. I was shocked that retailers were willing to lose sales opportunity while cruise ships are in port. Also not all stores are open on sunday.

It depends what day of the week you're here.

Most weekdays all stores in the downtown area will close around 6 pm. On Thursdays some stores stay open for "koopavond" (buying-evening).

The stores in the Riffort Village and Renaissance Mall will stay open a little later - on Saturdays sometimes until 9 pm.

Most merchants will tell you that based on their experience, cruise ship passengers will not be shopping after dark, hence their decision to close shop at 6 or 7.

Yes the stores in Punda do close early. 5:30-6PM, local time, which is an hour ahead of ship's time. So 4:30-5PM ship time. I believe stores in Fort Riff say open a little later as they are nearer the Mega dock where the Breeze docks. Kiosks along the waterfront heading toward the pedestrian bridge also start to shutter around sunset.

Archived