Celebrity Infinity - June 24, 2013 - Iceland / Norway

TxnAquarian

Hi Michael,

My partner and I are also booked but for some reason this cruise is no longer listed in the Celebrity site nor is my reservation for which I have paid a deposit. Since I am in the process of booking hotels, etc. it is troubling. If you find out anything please post a reply. Thanks.

Jay in Tucson

It seems that the glitch is just confined to my reservation. Others who are booked on this cruise still have their reservations so I will be checking with my TA since Celebrity can't find out any info for me.

Jay

My reservation is now restored. Celebrity had wiped out all three of my future cruises last night! Just for your info, I have booked this particular cruise through Pied Piper so there will be a group of family on the ship although I think that Pied Piper has some gatherings that are restricted to those that have booked with them. For dining, the Pied Piper group dining is scheduled for late seating.

Jay

Hi Jay! Thanks for the reply. I'm glad they got your booking straightened out. So it sounds like there will be a sizeable group of gays onboard. How big is this group?

Are you staying anywhere pre- or post- cruise? I was looking at the hotels in Harwich and they all look pretty scary. I'm having my travel agent look to see if there is anywhere nice to stay close-ish to the port.

I'm also trying to figure out what time is safe to fly out of Heathrow on embarkation day, since it's quite a drive from the port to the airport. We might stay at Heathrow for one night, since our flight to SFO on Virgin leaves around noon.

Michael

Michael,

There is no way of knowing the number of men that have booked with Pied Piper. I asked the same question to them when we first booked because we have never booked with them previously. The only thing they will tell you is that there will be at least ten in the group but it could be a much higher number - so for us this is an experiment. Either we will like it and look at their future itineraries or just go back to booking with our regular travel agent. I see that you have cruised on Crystal many times. Unfortunately our one cruise with them was truly the cruise from hell and it has discouraged us from going back to that line.

Of course, that can happen on any cruise and the Crystal cruise was during their first or second year of operation when they only had the Harmony.

We try to avoid Heathrow at all costs and we want to spend some time overseas before and after the cruise so we are flying first to NY for about four days and will then fly KLM to Amsterdam. The alternate airline is Delta but we always prefer a foreign airline to a US one. Schiphol is really a great airport. Before the cruise we are staying in Rotterdam. Then we will take the train to the port of Hoek van Holland on the 23rd and board the overnight "superferry" which sails to Harwich, arriving Mon. morning the 24th of June. It is a very new ferry - 64,000 tons - that is as nice as many cruise ships and the ship has private rooms of several varieties. After the cruise we just have to disembark, walk across the pier and board the 9 AM ferry back to the Netherlands where we will be staying in Haarlem and Amsterdam for a week or so. Then back to NYC for a few days from Schiphol and then home.

We just returned from a sailing from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on the Silhouette and decided to fly from SFO to Florence on Thanksgiving weekend. It was a very long flight via Frankfurt and even though it was in first class with bed, etc. we really prefer the shorter flight from NY. We try to break up the long flights into segments when possible.

Since the North Sea can be very rough and our sail back to Harwich on the last night is also the full moon it could mean some rough seas or delays. I think the Infinity is supposed to arrive at 4 AM but that may be a little optimistic.

In any case if you decide to take the 1 PM SFO Virgin Atlantic flight on the same day as disembarkation I would think you should opt for early disembarkation and carry your own luggage. We now only travel with carry-on luggage - a rollaboard and flight bag for each of us. Much less hassle and it has worked out well.

The safest thing to do is stay near Heathrow for a night but that is not a very happy idea. Likewise, I investigated the hotels in Harwich and decided that the ferry was a much nicer option.

Sorry we can't be of more help on the pre or post-cruise but we tend to find a more unusual route if possible. It is one of the advantages of retirement.:D

Jay in Tucson

Hello,

Forgive me for butting in as I am not travelling with you.

However I did this cruise last year on the Eclipse so anything I can help you with - please ask.

As for hotels close to the port, there are a couple of 'simple' hotels close to the port. I say 'simple' because 'basic' makes them sound bad. By simple I mean they do not have lots of the facilities I would want if going for a hotel vacation. However they are clean and tidy though not the hight of luxury. Holiday Inn Express you must know, and in addition there are Premier Inns, Novotel and Travelodge. I would be happy to spend a single pre or post cruise night in one of these. But NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES Day's Inn or Comfort Hotels. I'm sorry I cannot be specific about individual hotels as I sail out of Southampton.

Regards,

Cublet

Cublet,

Thanks for your information. However, except for three or four small hotels which are in close proximity to the port, most of the others like the Holiday Inn Express or Novotel are in Ipswich which is ten miles from Harwich port.

I am thinking of revising my plans to arrive by ferry in Harwich at 8 PM on the day before the cruise and staying in Harwich overnight. But I will opt for the hotel nearest the port which is the Premier Inn. As you say, very basic but it is just to sleep and then leave by noon the next day for the ship.

Jay

It does look like a great itinerary. Had spent a day in Reykjavik before, and found the blue lagoon mesmerizing, and have wanted to go back since. I know it’s truly a generality but the people in Iceland we saw as a whole were some of the most attractive and genuine people I met.

Always wanted to go to Norway, so more and more I’m thinking this trip is a good fit.. Will probably book with Pied Piper as with their discount they generally get about a couple of hundred less per person then when you book with Celebrity.

What Jay mentioned is true in regard to Pied Piper, they will not tell you anything about how many people they booked. Been my only negative with the 10 or so Pied Piper cruises I’ve taken, is that their communication is severely lacking, but the cost savings still make them worth it

Johhnnyt,

This cruise introduces you to the Norwegian fjords in the best way possible.

Geiranger is the most spectacular of all the fjords and the sail-in (as well as the sail-out) is incredible. Two years ago we stayed in Alesund and then Geiranger for a week and I can't wait to return even if it is only for the day. Not all cruise sailings include Geiranger so this is a big plus. This will be our fourth sailing to the fjords and it is never enough. They are that wonderful as are the Norwegian people.

Make sure you get the amazing Celebrity 123Go special if you book before January 27. It is available with any travel agent.

Jay

Are you staying anywhere pre- or post- cruise? I was looking at the hotels in Harwich and they all look pretty scary. I'm having my travel agent look to see if there is anywhere nice to stay close-ish to the port.

Michael

Michael,

We have decided to take the day ferry from the Netherlands on Sunday the 23rd rather than the overnight ferry because the overnight ferry requires being rudely awakened at 5:30 AM and being off the ferry by 6 AM. We would then have to wait in the beautiful Harwich cruise terminal for five hours before being allowed to board. The day ferry arrives in Harwich at 8 PM so we will eat dinner on the ferry. We just needed a hotel that was conveniently located. The one nearest to the cruise terminal and the rail station is the Premier Inn. It is within walking distance of the terminal unless you have a lot of luggage. There is also a LIDL supermarket about a block away. In reading the reviews most said the hotel was clean but that the beds are very 'springy' so we booked twin beds just in case. The reservation can be changed or cancelled until the day of arrival. Lots of photos and reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g315968-d1094318-Reviews-Premier_Inn_Harwich-Harwich_Essex_England.html. I'd be interested in knowing what you decide to do about the pre-cruise hotel.

Jay

Hi Cublet,

We are planning to do this cruise in August in the eclipse. I have read that the demographics were quite old, around 70s, is that correct? Were there in your cruise people around 30-40s?

Hello,

Forgive me for butting in as I am not travelling with you.

However I did this cruise last year on the Eclipse so anything I can help you with - please ask.

As for hotels close to the port, there are a couple of 'simple' hotels close to the port. I say 'simple' because 'basic' makes them sound bad. By simple I mean they do not have lots of the facilities I would want if going for a hotel vacation. However they are clean and tidy though not the hight of luxury. Holiday Inn Express you must know, and in addition there are Premier Inns, Novotel and Travelodge. I would be happy to spend a single pre or post cruise night in one of these. But NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES Day's Inn or Comfort Hotels. I'm sorry I cannot be specific about individual hotels as I sail out of Southampton.

Regards,

Cublet

Hi Cublet,

We are planning to do this cruise in August in the eclipse. I have read that the demographics were quite old, around 70s, is that correct? Were there in your cruise people around 30-40s?

Hello,

It is true that Celebrity attracts the more mature traveller but I think that it more so on the older ships (Constellation is a prime example based on my last cruise). Solstice class has younger (for Celebrity) passengers and there certainly were some on the Eclipse in the 30s and the majority were 40s and upwards. And yes, there were people 70 and over but I see them on RCI too (but not when looking in the mirror!)

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet

We have never booked thru Pied Piper before and really thought we would NEVER take a gay cruise, because we thought it would be all 2% body fat people and less and just vapid gay men looking for drugs and sex. So we are willing to try out a gay group cruise first to see how it is run. We are definitely interested in this cruise and its itinerary. We sailed on Celebrity's Silhouette last year and fell in love with the line! SO when we saw both gay and Celebrity we really had to give them a once over!

Can anyone give us any info on how Pied Piper runs? Are there gay excursions or any parties that are hosted by Pied Piper? Are there any benefits to book thru them as opposed thru the Cruise line itself or another travel agency like Vacations to Go?

We would appreciate any and all info about Pied Piper. We also were looking into the Northern Europe cruise as well thats also in June thru Pied Piper. Looking forward to some feedback!! Thanks for reading!!

Jamey & Marc

We have never booked thru Pied Piper before and really thought we would NEVER take a gay cruise, because we thought it would be all 2% body fat people and less and just vapid gay men looking for drugs and sex. So we are willing to try out a gay group cruise first to see how it is run. We are definitely interested in this cruise and its itinerary. We sailed on Celebrity's Silhouette last year and fell in love with the line! SO when we saw both gay and Celebrity we really had to give them a once over!

Can anyone give us any info on how Pied Piper runs? Are there gay excursions or any parties that are hosted by Pied Piper? Are there any benefits to book thru them as opposed thru the Cruise line itself or another travel agency like Vacations to Go?

We would appreciate any and all info about Pied Piper. We also were looking into the Northern Europe cruise as well thats also in June thru Pied Piper. Looking forward to some feedback!! Thanks for reading!!

Jamey & Marc

Overall found them very good in bang for the buck as you can usually save $500-1000 per person off Celebrity rates by booking through pied piper as their gay group rates are generally excellent.

In regard to onboard events etc, usually two or themed onboard cocktail parties with some free drinks, a daily get together pre-dinner, and some exclusive Pied Piper excursions. I remember on the transatlantic on Constellation they did a superb one to Blue Lagoon on our trip to Iceland. Most are a pretty competitive price and solely for Pied Piper groups.

They also have on onboard host to help iron out any problems onboard and coordinate the social events, some are terrific, some I think are just along for the ride (they don't get paid for it other than a free cruise), so the onboard host can be hit and miss.

Hope that helps. Just reserved my spot on Infinity today to take advantage of that 1-2-3 promotion. Almost makes me wish I drank again as that free drink package is a great deal. Still though even having free gratuities and $300 OBC is pretty good also

Did find out yesterday that the terms of the 1-2-3 promotion changed where now they include all three

1. Free Gratuities

2. OBC of $300

3. Free drink package

For European cruises during Juune, July, August. For guys that drink beer, spirits, it's a great deal, but even for guys that don't drink liquor like myself, it's still a good deal since you get soda, bottled water, specialty tea and coffee, and fruit smoothie's for free

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just found this board. Looking forward to the cruise. I'm staying 2 nights prior to the cruise in Harwich at The Pier. I want to start the vacation out at a relaxing pace with the train trip from Heathrow and all and just soak in the town first. Looks like a quaint little town. Then 3 nights in London after before going home. Pied Piper is a good trip. This will be my 4th. For those doing it first time, I think you'll like it.

Edited by bergen66

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking forward to the trip to Iceland. The tours onboard are quite expensive, anyone have any sugguestions as to what to do or where to go?

Hi, the main board (link below) has a lot of discussion about excursions and some people sharing them and exchanging tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593886

Edited by bergen66

• 3 weeks later...

Just popping this discussion up to the front of the pack so that it doesn't get lost. I've recommended that "Picture It" post here since he is new and has just asked questions about Pied Piper on the main Roll Call.

Hi, I'll be sailing on the Pied Piper Group Cruise from Harwich to Iceland and Norway, June 24-July 5. I'm single. Trying to get a sense of who is going and how many will be in our group. It should be a great time!

we will be travelling with Pied Piper, 3rd cruise with them for me,

Celebrity are my favourite cruise line and have done about 10 cruises with them , we are staying at the premier inn the night before the cruise.