Pre paid gratuities

Having cruised x 20 times with RCCI we took advantage of a prepaid gratuities deal with our Travel Agent Nearing the end of the cruise we were presented with the familiar envelopes via our stateroom as would be the case if the aforementioned gratuities had not been paid.When we mentioned this to our waiter he replied that he had no knowledge of the tips being prepaid

We approached the customer services desk and they informed us that indeed the gratuities had been prepaid,on the second occasion the customer service rep actually showed us the screen proving the fact It was suggested that we may have to add on to the prepaid tips.This may have entered our minds before our intelligence was insulted by the waiter Advice please on similar circumstances

PS

There were no vouchers issued by RCCI regarding the tips

Sifta Sam

As said...there are no more vouchers...I had the same experience on my cruise last November where I did prepaid gratuities. I saw the envelopes, but no vouchers...the pursers desk showed me the letter that announced the removal of paper vouchers to save expenses and waste of materials.

As cigar king stated, envelopes are still provided for the time when you wish to extend more than the usual and customary amount to any given staff...

vouchers are no longer being handed out.. and contrary to what your waiter said they ARE aware of who paid ahead of time.

this illustrates what I was commenting on in other posts.. it seems to me that the presentation of the envelopes is a sneaky way to guilt people into paying ON TOP of their prepaid grats.

that being said, I have always( to date) felt that our waiters deserved a little extra on top of the suggested amounts so have indeed put a little in the envelopes. my only exception is the headwaiter.. he gets the suggested prepaid amount and nothing more unless and until he handles an issue for us.

In Australia the envelopes are also provided even if gratuities are prepaid. I don't think it's a case of trying to guilt anyone into anything. I think it is beneficial if you have prepaid gratuities and may have used the concierge club or found a drink waiter or bar member who has gone above and beyond to say a little extra thanks in the way of a few dollars?

Anyhow that's IMHO :o

I think OP is more upset that the waiter denied knowing about the prepaid gratuties. That certainly would have been an awkward few moments for me as well, if I was in OP's shoes.

OP, sorry this was handled this way. I don't know what happened in your case but only to say that there was a communication failure. Trust me, the staff does know who pre-pays their tips; they have a list of passengers who have done so. I don't know what happened with you but I'm fairly certain the waiter in no way meant to "insult your intelligence".

...When we mentioned this to our waiter he replied that he had no knowledge of the tips being prepaid... our intelligence was insulted by the waiter...

Archived