Dining Situation on TP-Current returnees?

maygoddess

Hey all! I have been reading various threads and reviews about the TP dining experience...and want to make sure I have this right. My parents are coming along and I have been doing all the planning and my dad is not thrilled about doing a formal night so he has been checking out the other dining options available..which I explained are mor elimited on this ship than others. Of course brochures he is reading say "24 hour buffet" but I believe that is wrong.

Can someone who has returned recently confirm what I think is right:

-Two formal nights-which nights? (I am Sept cruise Cooks itinerary)

-Two alternative dining restaurants that rotate nights. On formal nights, this restaurant also requires formal wear?

-24 hour buffet-not really 24 hr? Do they shut it down at dinner time?

-Pizza is only option other room service if you don't partake in either traditional dining or alt restaurant?

-What are the actual hours of the buffet?

Also..for formal nights..I really do not want my husband to have to drag his tux to Tahiti..so I am thinking a dress shirt with a tie with a pair of dress slacks(his usual business attire) WITHOUT bringing a suit coat would be acceptable for formal nights?

Thanks for any insights!

Well, your dad must have a strange brochure as there is no 24 hour buffet of any kind on the TP, you were totally correct on that point. If you don't go to the main dining room or one of the speciality restaurants your choices are room service or sit down style pizza in the buffet area (and the pizza isn't very good, I will tell you ahead of time).

On formal night my husband wore a suit the first night and a vest the second, he felt really out of place the second night as he was the only one we saw without a suit jacket on. :eek: You guessed it, it was my idea and I was in hot water for that decision as he felt terribly out of place.

I just returned last weekend, so here's the scoop ....

Formal nights: Are the first sea day, and the day you arrive in Bora Bora. Yes, have him bring a dark suit/business attire. No need for a tie, just a stylish shirt (high collar). All the men were nicely dressed. Some in tuxs.

24 hours of eating: Well, almost 24 hours worth.

Lunch buffet starts at 11:30, and the grill by the pool starts at 11:00.

From 6:00 pm till 11:00 pm the pizzeria is open. Pizza wasn't great but eatable. The calzone was actually pretty good. They have a salad bar/soup there as well.

From 11:00 pm to 4:00 am the Bistro is opened, and is VERY good. (Menu has a few of the dinner offerings) This is located in the Sterling Grill.

Then I believe breakfast started again at 5:00 am.

Don't sweat any of this small stuff. What to pack, too much, too little, won't mean a hill of beans once you're all there and enjoying it. Besides, no one will remember what you wore to dinner after it's all said and done, tux or no tux. I did wear a nice dress and my DH wore a dark suit with a different shirt each formal night. We all were having such a great time, no one really noticed anyone wearing something a little out of place.

This was our second time on the TP and have rebooked for '07. See how much fun we had?? :D You will too. Enjoy!

rberne..thanks for all the updates. I don't really think my hubby or dad will give a hill of beans if someone is looking sideways at them for not wearing a tux or even a jacket..they just want to be served and not kicked out of the dining room if they don't have a jacket on. I think I will leave that up to hubby if he wears a coat at all..I was thinking just a long sleeve shirt, tie and pants with NO jacket(why add that extra layer, ya know?)

Glad to hear there is now a soup/salad bar as well..so if my dad wants to have pizza, he can do the salad as well. I had heard it was ONLY pizza..must have changed recently.

I know none of us will starve..I just want to make sure that we at least get in the dining room without worrying we didn't wear the right thing...well the men anyway..I think that 2nd formal night falls on the night he will be doing a night dive..so he may miss it anyway..

Archived