Birthday ob Board

DRich2

On our 6/25 Zuiderdam cruise our daughter will be turning sweet sixteen. Who do we speak with to arrange a cake for dinner that evening? Can we bring wrapped presents aboard or will security need to open them to see the contents?

BTW, a cruise is a great reason not to buy her a car for a present. It just won't fit in the cabin.

You have several choices to arrange the cake. First, you can have your TA note your record and have the request submitted in advance.

Or, you can ask your table steward, or the Maitre d' either one night at dinner, or seek the Maitre d' out during the day. Or, you can ask at the front desk; I worked it out that way once.

The only problem with wrapped presents will be from the airlines if you are flying to the ports. HAL shouldn't give you any grief on the matter.

Have a wonderful cruise, and eat a piece of cake for me! (assuming it's chocolate, of course.:D )

I would take the presents unwrapped along with wrapping paper and ribbon/bows. I know at Christmas the airlines would not allow wrapped presents on the planes and if they found them they would make the passengers unwrap them.

I think, but I may be wrong, that the same applies to the ship. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would speak to the Maitre'd about the birthday cake or mention it to your TA. Wouldn't chance telling the table steward as he might forget - he is so busy - or ordering it from the Front Desk - a lot of things go missing there. ;)

As Ruth suggested, speak to the Maitre'd during dinner or during the day in his office.

Sweet Sixteen - how wonderful. We took our daughter on her first cruise for her 21st birthday - oh, my that was sooo long ago.! :D

Cruise is cheaper than a new car also. :D

We took my daughter and her friend on a cruise for her 16th birthday last September. I suprised her with a formal dress that she had been wanting (I had told her no since I had already bought her two already) and then I let her get her hair in an updo for formal night. She looked like a princess!

P.S no car for her birthday but she got one for Christmas!

That section of the registration form isn't really for 'immigration' purposes ......

-cough- -cough-

:D

Kidding....

Since that info is put on the form, don't be surprised if you say nothing to the restaurant manager. And lo and behold, a cake shows up on the birthday evening after dinner!

It's happened to me a few times. I kept mum, but they nailed me anyway!

:cool:

Have a nice voyage, and Happy B'day to your daughter!

My son will be celebrating his 16th birthday on our Zuiderdam 6/11 cruise. I called HAL's ship services and they've arranged for a birthday balloon in our cabin and also for the cake at dinner.

Last year on Celebrity I spoke to the waiter 2 days before my friend's birthday and asked if they could do asmall cake. We always dine alone. Also no singing or parade and they did everything correctly. The cake was large enough to offer sevveral other twosomes some cake as well.

Hopefully they can show the same attention and discretion on the Vol.:) We are too old for balloons and ribbons on the door.

We are celebrating my mom's b-day on the Zuiderdam June 19th. I made arrangements for a cake, flowers & balloons all through ship services. Very easy to do and it cost about $20 for the cake (there are 6 of us) and $30 for flowers/balloons.

Archived