Is this a Jones Act Violation????

big green

Board in Vancouver for a Pacific Coastal cruise with stops in several us ports.

Stay on ship in Loss Angles for a cruise thru the Panama Canal to New Orleans????

will NCL let a customer do this??

Thanks

Big Green

It's legal, since you board the ship in Canada and alight the ship in USA. Those type of cruises are always legal.

Additionally, since your Panama Canal cruise leg will visit ABC Islands or Columbia, (I'm too lazy right now to look it up) the cruise would be legal if you departed from Seattle instead of Vancouver. Otherwise, those boarding the ship in Los Angeles wouldn't be allowed to sail to New Orleans.

Not every travel agent or personal cruise representative knows the rules. If you run across one who's not sure, bump the call up to their managers, and their managers until you find someone who does.

Is it one continuous booking, that is, not two trips with NCL? If so, should be OK. But in the past some of these have been booked as two trips even though you stay on the ship, then you have to travel to a distant port. NCL usually won't book it if it's illegal. I did say usually!

3 basic PVSA rules:

Closed loop MUST visit ANY foreign port

Foreign to/from USA is pretty much legal by definition

One US port to another MUST visit a DISTANT foreign port

Your cruises are fine both individually and in combination.

Where a combination runs afoul of PVSA is where the first cruise is reverse of yours. Say your first cruise started in Seattle and went to Vancouver, and the second one went from Vancouver to Los Angles. While both of those cruises are legal in their own right, the combination would go from Seattle to Los Angeles without a DISTANT port. That's illegal. Your combination is fine.

Roy

Stay on ship in Loss Angles for a cruise thru the Panama Canal to New Orleans????

Thanks

Big Green

It is done all the time perfectly legal. You may get pushback from an uniformed booking agent but press on. 100s do it every year. What can't be done is to get on in Seattle go to Vancouver and then get off in LA.

I had problems booking a pacific coastal ending in Vancouver with a RT Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska cruise. It went back and forth all the way up to corporate before they got it straight and it was approved. So, if you have problems initially, stick with it.

I had problems booking a pacific coastal ending in Vancouver with a RT Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska cruise. It went back and forth all the way up to corporate before they got it straight and it was approved. So, if you have problems initially, stick with it.

That was not easy to get booked. At least we got those with real knowledge to step in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Thanks

Big Green

I did this 19 day Panama trip on the Pearl in 2011. The staff will recognize you from the Coastal leg and treat you like royalty on the Panama leg. Make sure you do the "Bowling with the NCL stars" 3 night tournament as the "stars" will make your trip unforgettable.

I did this 19 day Panama trip on the Pearl in 2011. The staff will recognize you from the Coastal leg and treat you like royalty on the Panama leg. Make sure you do the "Bowling with the NCL stars" 3 night tournament as the "stars" will make your trip unforgettable.

What is this? I have never heard of it. And, obviously, it is only on NCL ships that have a bowling alley, correct?

"Bowling with the NCL stars"

Big Green - Bud - this is a great cruise - if you opt to do it starting from Vancouver let me know and if the dates don't conflict with me leaving for my Canada/New England/Bermuda cruise let's try and get together for a little refreshment before you sail.

Cheers

Dennis

Can you go from Seattle to Vancouver, get off the ship, and check back in as a new cruise to LA? That would be two separate cruises right?

Wrong. :) You can't do that. Now if you got on a different ship that would be OK.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

3 basic PVSA rules:

Closed loop MUST visit ANY foreign port

Foreign to/from USA is pretty much legal by definition

One US port to another MUST visit a DISTANT foreign port

Your cruises are fine both individually and in combination.

Where a combination runs afoul of PVSA is where the first cruise is reverse of yours. Say your first cruise started in Seattle and went to Vancouver, and the second one went from Vancouver to Los Angles. While both of those cruises are legal in their own right, the combination would go from Seattle to Los Angeles without a DISTANT port. That's illegal. Your combination is fine.

Thanks for the clear info. :)

Big Green - Bud - this is a great cruise - if you opt to do it starting from Vancouver let me know and if the dates don't conflict with me leaving for my Canada/New England/Bermuda cruise let's try and get together for a little refreshment before you sail.

Cheers

Dennis

thanks Dennis --will let you know.

Bud

Big Green

What is this? I have never heard of it. And, obviously, it is only on NCL ships that have a bowling alley, correct?

"Bowling with the NCL stars"

They usually have a bowling night on cruises up to 7 days. It is held on NCL ships with alleys in their Bliss lounge. The CD told us that they only do the "tournament" on the canal crossings as it was 3 or 4 nights after the last production show at 10pm. It cost $10 to enter and was a lot of fun. The winner recieved a "specialty" dinner for 2 as well as champagne. I recieved champagne for finishing 2nd. Getting to know the staff netted us free a "mystery murder lunch" and tons of NCL schwag.

I choked, as I got only 2 pins on the last frame :mad: and I bowled a 162 game.

Archived