" Dress Up Only " restaurant ?

If your ship offered a " Dress Up Only " resturant, would you attend ?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. If your ship offered a " Dress Up Only " resturant, would you attend ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

I have a glass of champagne in hand right now!! :D Great minds think alike!!

Another "great mind" here!! A wonderful chilled glass of Honig Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc in hand right now.

I am currently in jeans at the house right now, but within hours I board the Mariner. Jeans will be left at home...cocktail dresses, tux, dress slacks, dress shirts, and summer dresses are packed and ready to go!! :D

Cheers!

Another "great mind" here!! A wonderful chilled glass of Honig Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc in hand right now.

I am currently in jeans at the house right now, but within hours I board the Mariner. Jeans will be left at home...cocktail dresses, tux, dress slacks, dress shirts, and summer dresses are packed and ready to go!! :D

Cheers!

Have a great cruise!!!:D

IMHO, jeans of any color, style or price do not belong in the dining room. That being said, I would much prefer a jeans wearing, polite tablemate than having to endure a trashy mouthed person decked out in their finest. ;)

This poster suggesting a "dress up only" resturant must want to turn the formal dining room into a slum. There is already a non dress up dining room for those who can't afford nice clothes......its called a cafeteria.

There is already a non dress up dining room for those who can't afford nice clothes......its called a cafeteria.

That's my problem. I have reservations for me and my family in the Dining Room for Dinner every night of the week. It is only formal for two of them. Since there is no suitable alternative on my ship to eat dinner (cafeteria is not a suitable alternative for a large family to sit together and enjoy the meal we would get any other night of the week), we'll be in the Dining Room. We are not going to be bannished off somewhere just because the Capitain decides to use our dinning space for his party. So, the Captian either needs to find some other place to Host his Party where it doesn't impose on innocent people who just want to eat Dinner in peace, or they should relax the dress codes a bit.

As I stated earlier, we'll be dressed, just not enjoying it.

So, the Captian either needs to find some other place to Host his Party where it doesn't impose on innocent people who just want to eat Dinner in peace, or they should relax the dress codes a bit.

As I stated earlier, we'll be dressed, just not enjoying it.

VABeach, I don't understand what you mean by the Captain's party? The Captain's party isn't held in the dining room. :confused:

VABeach, I don't understand what you mean by the Captain's party? The Captain's party isn't held in the dining room. :confused:

You're kidding right??? I thought we were all talking about the Captain's Formal Dinner Party, or whatever you want to call it. Sorry to be confusing. The Formal Dinner held in the Dining Room that is sometimes called the Captain's Dinner, Formal Dinner, Dinner Party, or whatever else people call it these days. That one.

Oh, geeeez, sorry, but I just have to ask...what do you mean by "imposing on innocent people" I'm sure it would be hard to find a casual dining place that would have a workable space for your large group, so I understand that part. Are you saying that you and your group want to dress casual every night? And by not, you are innocent victims?

Just want to be clear on things before I agree or don't! (I've had one martini, so bear with me! LOL!!)

Oh, geeeez, sorry, but I just have to ask...what do you mean by "imposing on innocent people" I'm sure it would be hard to find a casual dining place that would have a workable space for your large group, so I understand that part. Are you saying that you and your group want to dress casual every night? And by not, you are innocent victims?

Just want to be clear on things before I agree or don't! (I've had one martini, so bear with me! LOL!!)

Pretty much.

Actually no. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast. LOL!! I vaguely remember commenting generally about people showing up at formal weddings (is this what you are talking about?) wearing jeans, etc.. And it was in reference to my nieces wedding. Then you jumped in and took it as an offensive statement about your sister??? My post was pretty much directed at young people these days that don't know a lot about social graces. It was NEVER intended to be meant as anything but that.

I asked you the question about your "innocent people" comment so I totally understood what you meant, BEFORE I commented on it. I still don't totally understand what you mean. We all have different opinions, and MANY different ways to express them. The internet, with it's lack of tone, is never a good place to do that. But that's neither here nor there.

You may also notice, but obviously chose not to, and only dredge up a post from probably a year ago, that I empathized with your situation of only really having ONE option to seat your family in a comfortable and "easier" seating arrangement.

If you and your family want to wear parkas to dinner and no pants, I wouldn't really give a crap! But I certainly don't think you should feel like "innocent victims" because others choose to wear what the captain requested that evening. (And I'm also certain that you wouldn't be alone) I'm seriously jealous that you and your extended family get to enjoy each others company for a week. I've just lost my father, and have cancelled the cruise in October that we were booked on with him. Enjoy them while you can.

I will be sure and go to the website you posted a link to and read about your sister. I think it's fabulous that she is doing what she is doing. It's certainly a selfless act. And I'm sure I would be humbled to meet her.

With that being said, I would probably guess that she has a skirt. (YES, I'm trying to inteject humor!!)

Have a super cruise!!!

Unfortunately, Shekina isn't in any of the pictures I see posted right now. Hopefully she will send me pictures when she gets back. She is the one leading the trip so I would hope she would be in some of them!

Yes, we will all be in skirts, and really nice ones at that. It just gets really old being attacked about not wearing a Formal Gown on Formal night. I'm not going to embarrass my family by out dressing them when I know they can't afford better. I have gowns, and I may wear them in the future, just not on this one. It would be nice if people could realize that they don't know every person's circumstances and not be quite so judgmental about other people's dress.

On Friday I will be on a cruise with my family and it will be a very wonderful experience. There isn't anything that anyone here could say or do to ruin it. :)

I'm sorry about your loss.

I think so much on these boards gets lost in translation.

Whenever I post about not enjoying the ambiance of formal night, I'm always referring to the ones that show up in SHORTS, or JEANS, or TANK TOPS. I know I shouldn't care, but at least for ME, it's takes something away from my experience.

I think when people read "why don't you dress for formal night" they hear "Why aren't you wearing a sequined gown or tails?"

The never ending debate about formal or not, will never be resolved on these nutty boards. I only wish that people would make an effort, and not say "ewwwwwwww" when I order escargot! (Because commenting on my food choice, is as rude as asking how much money I make) he-he...

I'm not quite sure of the question. If this restaurant were included in the basic cost of the cruise and had the same menu as the main restaurants I might attend once or twice. If it were an additional pay restaurant, probably not.

-Monte

This poster suggesting a "dress up only" resturant must want to turn the formal dining room into a slum. There is already a non dress up dining room for those who can't afford nice clothes......its called a cafeteria.

Eastern Long Islanders, I don't want to " turn the formal dining room into a slum ", I was just curious, this is a major topic on the boards and I was just trying to gather some information.

I was on the Enchanment this past march, and I wore my suit, and I had a spectacular time.

I just don't get all bent out of shape, nor do I pay attention to everybody on the ship, counting how many people dress up during fomal night. It doesn't matter to me, I am there to enjoy myself , not play mini detective.

Which led me to ask, if there was a " dress up only " dinning room, would people go.

I'm not quite sure of the question. If this restaurant were included in the basic cost of the cruise and had the same menu as the main restaurants I might attend once or twice. If it were an additional pay restaurant, probably not.

-Monte

The question wasn't meant to be that detailed, basically, the people who feel that they " must " dress up, if the ship offered a " dress up only " room would you go.

I understand Formal night, but appreantly it's not working, according to some post, so I was looking into an alternative.

I voted dont care. We enjoy dressing up for formal night on longer cruises. HOWEVER, I think they could do away with the formal night on the 3 night cruises. We like to only take carry on luggage for these quick little trips, and a suit and cocktail dress don't carry well in those. On our Majesty 3 nighter, I wore black slacks, a dressy sweater and nice shoes. DH wore a button down shirt and dockers. We had asked our tablemates the night before if our attire would bother them. No one objected. We looked "church worthy" and had a good time. Noone commented on our attire, either.

I agree that not everyone has the means to afford fancy ball gowns, but if they are nicely dressed, as if going to a nice restuarant at home, I dont see what the problem is. Obviously, T shirts, shorts, cutoffs, tank tops etc are not appropriate for the dining room. But not everyone has to look like they just stepped off the society pages.

I don't see why everyone has to get all huffy about what someone else is wearing. Does it hurt you in some way? Care about yourself and don't try to be the fashion police.

JMHO, fire extinguisher at the ready

Archived