QMII Technical tour.

Magnetchief

Myself and my best man are cruising May 3rd NY/UK.

We are both ex Royal Naval Engineers with almost 50 years service between us. We are interested i some of the technical/mechanical aspects of the ship. Is there any way that we could get a tour of the engine rooms ect.

We gave many tours of our various warships in our time. Would be nice to experience it from the other side.

Myself and my best man are cruising May 3rd NY/UK.

We are both ex Royal Naval Engineers with almost 50 years service between us. We are interested i some of the technical/mechanical aspects of the ship. Is there amy way that we could get a tour of the engine rooms ect.

We gave many tours of our various warships in our time. Would be nice to experience it from the other side.

When you get on board write a letter to the Chief Engineer and explain and ask. Otherwise there is no chance in reality and the letter may or may not work.

I have read a FAQ post regarding this issue and it has always been refused on the usual health and safety and then this latest 'security' situation.

My thoughts are that if we don't ask, we have no chance of getting anywhere. You never know, you might find out you know one of the engineers or once onboard you might be in the right place at the right time and say the right thing..

Completely off topic but to highlight this point.. I was in a bar one afternoon having just taken part in a display when my attention was drawn to a photograph of a Pitt Special aircraft. "Cor" says I to my friend who I was talking to... "How I would LOVE to go up in one of those aircraft!"

A man who was stood off to one side turned to me with a big smile on his face and said, 'Would you really?'

Av few days later I was being thrown around the skies above Bodmin!!! Me and my big mouth :eek::D:D An amazing, once in a life time experience that I will never forget.

Who knows who you might see on this cruise and what influence they might have regarding your request.

I am guessing the engines of the Queen Mary are like nothing you might have seen in your time afloat? Good luck with your quest and fingers crossed you get your wish.

I doubt they'll allow any visitors to the engine room. The insurance company would probably throw a fit if they found out. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Next best thing is to take the behind-the-scenes tour, which does include the engine control room. Not as cool as seeing the actual generators, but still very interesting. Not cheap, but one of the most interesting afternoons we've spend at sea.

When you board write a letter to the Chief Engineer stating your reason for requesting the tour. It will depend on who the Chief Engineer is and how he runs his department. It might also depend on how the weather is and whether the ship is experiencing any problems. You won't know until you ask.

Even if a tour is not possible perhaps The Chief Engineer or one of his staff could spare some time to speak with you and answer questions, etc.

When you board write a letter to the Chief Engineer stating your reason for requesting the tour. It will depend on who the Chief Engineer is and how he runs his department. It might also depend on how the weather is and whether the ship is experiencing any problems. You won't know until you ask.

Even if a tour is not possible perhaps The Chief Engineer or one of his staff could spare some time to speak with you and answer questions, etc.

Have a look at this link ( may need to cut and Paste)their are several parts to the video will give you a lot of good information

or

Have a look at this link ( may need to cut and Paste)their are several parts to the video will give you a lot of good information

or

Thanks for the tips/links.

I like the idea of a personal letter to the engineer. I know they have rules and regulations. But you can always 'bend' these if you are so inclined.

Wish us luck :)

I for one wish you all the luck i can and I know what this will mean to you.

I am still amazed at those huge outboard motors they have strapped under the ship. What an amazing piece of technology which must also save a fortune in not using tugs! Might be a good topic of conversation if you get to sit with the senior officers. :)

Good luck and PLEASE let us know how you get on.

Oops nerarly forgot...

I take it you know that there senior engineers have a purple rings? :o:)

Apologies if you already knew this but if not think Medical Officers, our Royal Navy 'docs' have red piping between the gold braid, Cunard engineers have purple. If you see a purple ringed officer in the bar the pounce :D

Good luck again,

John

I think that the one thing that will ensure that the answer to the "can I see the engine room" question would be the suspicion that accommodating that request will be widely reported on sites such as this. These matters need to be handled with discretion I believe.

Thanks for the tip ref colours ect.

In the RN there was a similar ways of identifying officer branches but this has now ceased.

I agree that discretion might be in order.

I will pm any outcome to the pair of you.

Regards.

Thanks for the tip ref colours ect.

In the RN there was a similar ways of identifying officer branches but this has now ceased.

I agree that discretion might be in order.

I will pm any outcome to the pair of you.

Regards.

That is very kind of you and the cap'n speketh wise words.

There is an urban myth surrounding the purple piping which talks about the sacrifice made by the engineers of the Titantic when they all went down with the ship. A nice myth but sadly not true.

If we wish for something hard enough, then sometimes, just sometimes we get what we ask for.

John

and to quote the Rolling Stones...

No, you can't always get what you want

But if you try sometime, you just might find

You get what you need

BTW, I don't know if it matters, but I think the ship is referred to as QM2, not QMII. :confused:

Archived